Which Subs

smargo

Re: Which Subs
« Reply #20 on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:48 am »
People, it's soooo much more than just adding boom to your system.
It makes the entire experience so much better. Properly integrated subs change everything.
You MUST add subs or you're missing parts of the music.   

agreed - its like an entire soundscape that happens - didn't know what i was missing until i started using the svs 3000 sealed sub with the LRS's

AvsFan

« Reply #21 on: 18 Apr 2020, 09:59 pm »
agreed - its like an entire soundscape that happens - didn't know what i was missing until i started using the svs 3000 sealed sub with the LRS's

That SB-3000 seems real nice!
It has really caught my eye but for my to channel room, decided to go with four 8inch subs.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2020, 11:33 pm »
I have the HSU MBM, it only goes down to 50 Hz but it is exceptionally clean and fast. If it blends well with Maggie’s I’ll use it as such. If not, then I’ll be looking at servo subs, either by Rythmik or a kit by GR Research if I can find a carpenter.

steve k

« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2020, 01:28 am »
I used a HSU VTF-2MK5 sub with my IIIA's and now with my LRS. HSU provides a high frequency cutoff to cut the bottom of the LRS off at 60Hz and the sub dials in a 60Hz on down for a smooth blend. The sub can also be tuned for deepest  bass extension or higher bass with more volume. I have mine set for 16 Hz with one port open for the occasional pipe organ recording. Otherwise you can keep two ports open for a bottom end of 22 Hz. It's an extremely flexible sub and the techs at HSU are great at working with you to optimize your setup.
Steve

Slapshot

« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2020, 08:04 pm »
I listen to Acoustical and Vocal driven music 90% of the time. As repremhsible as it may seem the MTV unplugged recordings are some of my favorite tracks to listen to. I’ve never had a dedicated 2 channel system, always AVR HT rigs . I’m going to buy some Maggie’s and will need to add subs. The subs may not do an a lot on most things I listen to, but the other 10% I must admit I occasionally listen to some classic and music from the 80’s & early 90’s. Most people say Maggie’s aren’t great for that, but honestly when I’m listening to AC/DC or Duran Duran ( don’t laugh, once in a blue moon I like to flashback to my high school days) I can handle it not being as great as they are with what I listen to the majority of the time. Nothing is perfect . Anyway...

The subs, I’m committed to running dual subs , but I read where with Maggie’s you need fast bass and not all subs are up to the task. My question is this, do I need to get servo subs like Rythmik, or Subs from REL or would some of the sealed SVS new subs work well? SVS is the most affordable , two of the SB 2000 pro , REL the most expensive, Rythmik in the middle. What do you use, those of you who run subs ? Just would like the opinion of some real people and not the ‘audiophile’ reviewers who listen critically and hear things I don’t think at 50 and been to too many concerts am even capable of hearing now. I’d like to do this right though . I’ve even considered the bass panels & subs... i would value any thoughts or opinions. The Maggie’s will be the .7i ‘s

I'm not an expert on this, but I do know that what sub you need will likely change, depending on which model Maggies you decide to go with. For example, I just recently came across  longtime Maggie owner who bought new 1.7i's, and said they worked beautifully with two REL t5i subs, which are only $599.00 each. As far as SVS subs, I've used them in home theaters and they are high value and performance in that application, but not ideal for two channel. To be entirely fair, I must admit that I have not had any experience with their new,  highly touted SB-3000, though.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2020, 09:14 pm »
There's a guy on Audiogon who ditched his subs after he mounted his 1.7i on Mye Stands. He wrote...

before I mounted my 1.7i speakers on MyeStands, I did use a subwoofer. But it was a pain. The setup of the sub to work just right with the Maggies is difficult. But then I mounted the 1.7i pair on MyeStands. The difference is not subtle. Bass is tighter and deeper. Overall definition and focus of the speakers across the range is better... I took the subs off my system and I am now selling them. They just aren’t needed. There is plenty of good bass now. 

YMMV

As for myself, I am going to place an order for these stands ...assuming they are still available with respect to the C-19 shut down. If that works for me, great. If not, I'm inclined to go either with the Audio Kinesis Swarm or a Rythmik servo sub.

AvsFan

« Reply #26 on: 19 Apr 2020, 11:14 pm »

I'm not an expert on this, but I do know that what sub you need will likely change, depending on which model Maggies you decide to go with. For example, I just recently came across  longtime Maggie owner who bought new 1.7i's, and said they worked beautifully with two REL t5i subs, which are only $599.00 each. As far as SVS subs, I've used them in home theaters and they are high value and performance in that application, but not ideal for two channel. To be entirely fair, I must admit that I have not had any experience with their new,  highly touted SB-3000, though.

REL's are VERY musical and can be integrated with Maggie's.
And I have used every SVS sub you can imagine. Ron Stimpson lived in my city. Co-founder of SVS and he would let me demo prototypes and everything else under the sun. But like you, they're not made for music. Most recently I had a PC-2000, great for pressurizing the room for movies, slow as molasses for music. I honestly hated it.  Two RSL Speedwoofer 10S's replaced it. Couldn't be happier. VERY musical subs. So anyone looking for GREAT sounding, musical subs for their Maggie's, that are also very affordable at $399 a piece. Give them a try. They're really good.

My dual RSL's are in my theater room, so with that said, for my dedicated two channel room, I decided to go with a dual 8 inch, sealed sub x2, from Louis over at Omega speakers. If you're familiar with his speakers, he builds extremely good, single driver, crossoverless, high efficiency speakers that are VERY fast. Especially his 4.5 inch RS5 drivers. So he builds subs for extreme quickness, fast attack and decay to match with his own speakers. I bought my first one and getting another one later, so will have a total of four 8 inch drivers in my two channel system. Should be a nice combination. Will let you know once I receive them.

AvsFan

« Reply #27 on: 19 Apr 2020, 11:25 pm »
There's a guy on Audiogon who ditched his subs after he mounted his 1.7i on Mye Stands. He wrote...

before I mounted my 1.7i speakers on MyeStands, I did use a subwoofer. But it was a pain. The setup of the sub to work just right with the Maggies is difficult. But then I mounted the 1.7i pair on MyeStands. The difference is not subtle. Bass is tighter and deeper. Overall definition and focus of the speakers across the range is better... I took the subs off my system and I am now selling them. They just aren’t needed. There is plenty of good bass now. 

YMMV

As for myself, I am going to place an order for these stands ...assuming they are still available with respect to the C-19 shut down. If that works for me, great. If not, I'm inclined to go either with the Audio Kinesis Swarm or a Rythmik servo sub.

I keep hearing what a MAJOR difference the MYEStands make. I have no doubt that they tighten everything up and improve the sound quality and bass. But Maggie's need help with bass. Period. There are no magical stands that are going to help that much with bass. Still laws of audio science that apply and the 1.7i's only go down to 40hz. My LRS's go down to 50hz. And they need SERIOUS help! There is no weight or dynamic punch to the music. I have certain songs that I like to play just to test out the kick and dynamics of bass on speakers and subs, and they are totally lacking on those tracks.
With that said, the bass that they do produce is like no box speaker I have ever heard. Very musical, articulate, every song sounds different in the bass department. It's amazing bass. Probably some of the best bass I have heard out of a speaker. And that is probably the reason why it is so hard to integrate subwoofers with the Maggie's. At least doing it right and seamless. I have high hopes for those 8's though. Hemp cone, a light cone that can move very fast. I am assuming it will be a perfect match. Will see soon.     

mcgsxr

« Reply #28 on: 19 Apr 2020, 11:39 pm »
There all kinds of rooms, and all kinds of ears and all kinds of opinions!  I cannot speak to either the LRS or the 1.7’s, but I did own a set of the 1.6’s with Mye stands.

I really liked them.  Best sound I’ve owned. 

But I needed a sub.  And I found that worked very very well.

Miss them!

AvsFan

« Reply #29 on: 19 Apr 2020, 11:54 pm »
There all kinds of rooms, and all kinds of ears and all kinds of opinions!  I cannot speak to either the LRS or the 1.7’s, but I did own a set of the 1.6’s with Mye stands.

I really liked them.  Best sound I’ve owned. 

But I needed a sub.  And I found that worked very very well.

Miss them!

I am getting the MYEStands for sure! I am just not expecting a pair of stands to replace a pair of subwoofers in a system.  :D

And I agree, Maggie's are magical. I will NEVER be selling my Maggie's, well unless it's to upgrade to a larger pair of Maggie's.  :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2020, 12:54 am »
I’m not suggesting for one minute that the LRS doesn’t benefit from a sub, but the comments I was referencing were in conjunction with the 1.7i. I can’t say for sure that I would be happy without a sub in that arrangement, but it does speak to the profound impact the stands had on the bass. :thumb:

AvsFan

« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2020, 04:32 am »
I’m not suggesting for one minute that the LRS doesn’t benefit from a sub, but the comments I was referencing were in conjunction with the 1.7i. I can’t say for sure that I would be happy without a sub in that arrangement, but it does speak to the profound impact the stands had on the bass. :thumb:

Any speaker will benefit from a sub!  :lol:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #32 on: 20 Apr 2020, 10:46 am »
Play The Who's "Boris The Spider" without a sub and then add a sub to the mix.

Saturn94

« Reply #33 on: 20 Apr 2020, 02:48 pm »
Any speaker will benefit from a sub!  :lol:

This has been my experience.  :thumb:

AvsFan

« Reply #34 on: 22 Apr 2020, 04:35 am »

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try! I am assuming night and day with a sub.

AvsFan

« Reply #35 on: 22 Apr 2020, 04:37 am »
This has been my experience.  :thumb:
Yep! Even with speakers that have good bass, subs make it all better!

Slapshot

« Reply #36 on: 24 Apr 2020, 05:45 am »

Excellent suggestion Steve!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #37 on: 24 Apr 2020, 10:36 am »
I had just listened to that the other night when the wife was out (at really high volume).
How do they put it, the combination of 3.7s and SVS subwoofer pressurized the room?

It was a welcome change of pace from her working at home where I hear, "Alexa, play Helen Reddy..."
Dear Lord, take me now...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #38 on: 24 Apr 2020, 01:37 pm »
I'm going to explore pairing the .7 with either a pair of the 12" or the 15" of these...

http://aespeakers.com/product-category/dipole/

FireGuy

« Reply #39 on: 24 Apr 2020, 01:58 pm »
It was a welcome change of pace from her working at home where I hear, "Alexa, play Helen Reddy..."
Dear Lord, take me now...

This is damn funny... and so true.  Can it be beat?  How about listening to a high school musical (an actual HS Musical not Disney) of 10 years ago (DVD) being played on your kitchen 19" TV.  I have been taken.