New Proud Owner of VR-4JRs

Escott1377

Re: New Proud Owner of VR-4JRs
« Reply #40 on: 5 Jun 2016, 06:20 pm »
I own a pair of jr's w/ the latest upgrade.  The work VSA did on the upgrade takes to these speakers easily into the $20k competitive market.  They are amazing, and like you, I have owned them since their release and am very familiar with their sound.

I bi amp w/ a pair of Wyred 4 Sound mAmps on the lower portion and a pair of Prima Luna Dialogue 6 on the upper.

When the speakers returned from VSA, they came back @ 4 Ohms impedance on both modules, so I was able to eliminate the need for an attenuator on the tube amps.

FYI - thru trial and error I ended up w/ a 7 dB attenuator before the upgrade.

Nick uses a nifty little device from CI Audio that allows line level matching very easily.

Ah, and finally to the actual of my post - I run a pair of 300W active subs for the low end - crossover @ 50 Hz and then I also use a Dpeaker Core up to 500 Hz, giving me nice, tight, clean bass.

magister

« Reply #41 on: 5 Jun 2016, 07:24 pm »
I've been using a bi-amped setup for some time now; see the bullet list at the beginning of my original post.  Maybe I should have emphasized that more.  One reason I got the NAD amp is that it has a variable output level, which I just set by ear.  (I tried learning how to calculate impedances and so forth but that is just beyond my level of technical knowledge.)

As good as the Jr's are, speaker technology has advanced in the past decade and more.  I could get many of these advances by doing the upgrade to the Jr's.  The only thing lacking after the upgrade would (I think) be the lowest bass, since you can only do so much with the small woofers and cabinet of the Jr design.  I've thought about subwoofers.  There really isn't a place in my room for two; I could squeeze one in but I've read that it's better to use a pair as Escott does.  Maybe I'll just not worry about those lowest notes, since otherwise the Jr upgrade would be very cost-effective and I wouldn't have to worry about getting the subs integrated properly with the Jr's bass.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

gammajo

« Reply #42 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:38 am »
Nick Congratulations on your Jrs I have heard them and they are very excellent. I am in NC near Asheville, if folks would like to come later this summer and hear the 55 Aktives in a nice system and room.

Escott1377

« Reply #43 on: 20 Jun 2016, 09:28 am »
Nick Congratulations on your Jrs I have heard them and they are very excellent. I am in NC near Asheville, if folks would like to come later this summer and hear the 55 Aktives in a nice system and room.

I would love to hear your 55's some time.  I have the jr's with the latest upgrade from Albert.  I live in Greenville, SC and travel to Asheville regularly for business.

Unless that offer was only meant for Nick?? :)

gammajo

« Reply #44 on: 20 Jun 2016, 12:59 pm »
Offer is good, please PM me