Mono chassis $49 + shipping

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: Mono chassis $49 + shipping
« Reply #60 on: 17 May 2012, 01:09 am »

TomS' build above, not mine (yet). 

OK...on a table I connected the ps and amp with the umbilical cord.  Indeed, cord is an integral component regarding placement. 

In Tom's build the quick-disconnects on the IEC take up space.  I'm estimating that soldering might free up space to turn the ps 90 degrees, which would appear to make the mains wire shorter...but in turn, the length of the umbilical forces the amp farther from the rear panel thus increasing the length of the input and speaker cables....meaning the bottom line, obviously, is no need to reinvent the wheel, after all...what a surprise.  Pick your poison: longer mains/shorter input/speaker or vice versa.  Actually, thinking about it, the former has one longer/two shorter, which intuitively seems ideal. 

Nothing changes from above with a longer chassis because of the fixed length of the umbilical cord, which determines the relationship between the two pcb. 

Seeing these up close and personal and putting them in their proper audio perspective (see the reviews) gives one an intimate view of Bruno's impact in high-end audio amplifiers.

Can't wait to hear Thorell's best arch tops and flat tops through this, and my friend's dozen + basses of every stripe including pre-war classic Italian double bass.         

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #61 on: 17 May 2012, 01:30 am »
deleted, irrelevent
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:31 am by James Romeyn »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #62 on: 17 May 2012, 01:34 am »
deleted
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:32 am by James Romeyn »

TomS

« Reply #63 on: 17 May 2012, 01:35 am »
I did end up soldering the IEC connections once I determined that everything played nice. I also strapped the 2 AC wires to the side of the case as far away from the power as I could get it. This is really the only logical layout in that case which does not violate the guidelines provided. Otherwise you'd need to re-terminate the cable, which just wasn't worth the effort to me.

I used plain old crimped ring terminals, bent 90 degrees, on top of the speaker connections (13g). Works fine.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #64 on: 17 May 2012, 01:43 am »

$4.59/pr (unknown shipping), thanks Jason for finding these.  I like em, if group buyers find these acceptable.  I like the big hole for bare tinned wire, and they seem rugged enough, also like the solder well, and the shorter length seems better than the opposite. 

Jason, do they seem pretty rugged/durable?  I also like that a foreign object landing across them won't short.   

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #65 on: 17 May 2012, 01:51 am »
Jason, do they seem pretty rugged/durable?  I also like that a foreign object landing across them won't short.   
Yes, very nice actuallly.  I had a bunch of CPBP and chose these instead. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #66 on: 17 May 2012, 01:51 am »
deleted
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:32 am by James Romeyn »

mr_bill

« Reply #67 on: 17 May 2012, 03:45 am »
If we use power cons then we can't use a power cable with a normal end on it?

Rclark

« Reply #68 on: 17 May 2012, 04:22 am »

$4.59/pr (unknown shipping), thanks Jason for finding these.  I like em, if group buyers find these acceptable.  I like the big hole for bare tinned wire, and they seem rugged enough, also like the solder well, and the shorter length seems better than the opposite. 

I have those on my GR-Insignia speakers and they do the job but I really love the Virtue propeller type on my amp though. You get a much more snug connection.

This is the type, of course, they're much more expensive: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/propeller-post-binding-posts/

Not sure it makes any difference though, and the ones you chose will be just fine.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #69 on: 17 May 2012, 05:03 am »
deleted
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:33 am by James Romeyn »

mr_bill

« Reply #70 on: 17 May 2012, 01:25 pm »
Thanks James,
I'll vote IEC.

JDUBS

« Reply #71 on: 17 May 2012, 01:48 pm »
I vote PowerCon.  IECs are horrible (from a connection perspective) in comparison.

-Jim

orientalexpress

« Reply #72 on: 17 May 2012, 02:19 pm »
I go with IEC.

lapsan

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 17 May 2012, 05:09 pm »
Tastes great! (PowerCon)...Less filling! (IEC)........ :lol:

santacore

« Reply #74 on: 17 May 2012, 05:14 pm »
I like the idea of the PowerCon, but don't really want to re-terminate my high end cables in order to use this case. So I guess I vote for IEC, to keep it convenient.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #75 on: 17 May 2012, 05:31 pm »
deleterious, detritus, delete! 
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:33 am by James Romeyn »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #76 on: 17 May 2012, 09:34 pm »
OK, so after all the above verbiage, surprise!  Current plan is to replicate TomS' build below (similar to jtwrace in same chassis).

I'll draw chassis ID on graph paper, specifying exact locations and dimensions ASAP for member TrungT's gracious CAD work.  I must order binding posts to measure chassis insulators for holes. 

Meanwhile, as soon as we all agree I'll forward specs to Mike for cutting cost (hopefully free but no promises).  BTW, last I looked HT CoZ had only one orphan mono chassis so it's this or dust off your drill press.

Again: larger chassis dimensions change nothing.  PCB relationship is fixed by umbilical cord (shown) length and flexibility or lack thereof.  It's quite stiff and even more so after twisting and tightly fixed with wire ties.  Bruno is fond of the twist, as in wire, not the dance, though he may also like the dance, I don't know.     

1. Seven small round base holes, diameter TBD (3 amp, 4 ps)
2. One IEC receptacle far right looking from rear
3. Two holes for aforementioned binding posts, centered horizontally, about 1/3rd from top vertically (leaves room for me to install a second set for bi-wire, which I presume no one else wants but please advise).  What horizontal spacing between black/red?  3/4" for dual banana seems appropriate even though I much prefer tinned wire in the post hole over any banana. 
4. One XLR female chassis jack far left looking from rear

11 holes total if Mike is reading this. 

Specify when ordering/paying: aluminum face no extra charge or add $5 for black face (presuming Mike allows mixed order).

TomS

« Reply #77 on: 17 May 2012, 09:41 pm »
You might consider an nAMPON switch between the XLR and binding posts. Not shown on that pic, but mine has them now ;-)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #78 on: 17 May 2012, 09:47 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:34 am by James Romeyn »

santacore

« Reply #79 on: 17 May 2012, 09:58 pm »
Sounds great James, thanks for all the work on this.

John