Daedalus Audio Isolation devices

Tomy2Tone

Re: Daedalus Audio Isolation devices
« Reply #20 on: 7 Oct 2015, 05:15 pm »
The Daedalus Isolation Devices (DID) work better than any isolation devices I have used or heard. I was present in the main Daedalus/ModWright/WyWires room (Iris) during several demos listening with and without the DID. You could hear the improvement with the first few notes and it was not subtle. Made me a believer--big time.

+1

Could definitely hear a difference for the better and that was just with the dac when I was in there. Made me wonder how the sound would have changed if all the equipment didn't have the DID's. Good job Lou!

dart6

« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2015, 06:39 am »
Thanks Jason!  These will definitely ship with a trial period for return, I wouldn't want anyone to get them and feel they don't work in their system or are not worthwhile etc.

We are still refining the build process etc to try to bring the costs down, at this time it looks like they will be in the $100-$120 ea range with a lower direct sale price.

I was surprised at just how much they improved the sound, and am looking forward to the next show with them!

As for the "name", maybe we should just keep it simple and skip the Greek mythology this time?  ie: Daedalus Audio Resonance Control?

is that price for a set or just one

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2015, 02:58 pm »
is that price for a set or just one

It says 'ea' or each- here's the web page - http://www.daedalusaudio.com/DiD.html

jriggy

« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2015, 03:29 pm »
Excited to receive my 6 DiDs on order...

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #24 on: 19 Nov 2015, 06:01 pm »
Excited to receive my 6 DiDs on order...
Close to $1000 bucks for six! :o :scratch:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2015, 06:51 pm »
Lou is offering them at an introductory price of $312 for a set of 3.  More bang for your buck than a cable upgrade imho.

jriggy

« Reply #26 on: 19 Nov 2015, 10:37 pm »
Close to $1000 bucks for six! :o :scratch:

Lou is a dealer of mine and I trust what he builds and what he offers. I have had/tried footed that cost much more. I have read a bit about this subject and believe in the construction of these. Besides, a $300 tweak added to a quality system is all part of it --getting the most out of our gear.
I ordered 6 so I could experiment with two components. I thought how bummed I would be to have missed the sale price but still wanting another set. No brainer with a 30 day trial.

tonyptony

« Reply #27 on: 19 Nov 2015, 11:42 pm »
I was there too, and I normally don't buy into stuff like isolation woo products.  But damn if it didn't work and work very well.  Darn it, I thought I was done spending money on my system!  :lol:

I'm late to the commenting, but +1 in spades. I heard the setup at RMAF, with everything isolated and then with the isolation devices gradually being taken away, component by component. It was dead obvious how well these things work.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #28 on: 19 Nov 2015, 11:58 pm »
OK, I guess they work with highly resolving systems. It's just the price that puts me off. For instance, you would be able to buy a very fine sub, like a Rythmik, for one grand. However, since most the Daedalus customers probably have tens of thousands invested in their rigs, I guess one grand here and there for that last 1 percent of SQ is no big deal.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2015, 12:31 am »
Yes they do work with "highly resolving systems", those are the systems we build.

And it is more than just the last 1%, the improvement is generally much more than an after market power cord and yet for the cost of a power cord.
Personally I don't see these as a "tweek" but necessary to any high end system, much the way good cables are.

We are in the first production run and more people will be receiving these in the next week so I'm sure there will be more comments.

thanks,
lou

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #30 on: 28 Nov 2015, 10:55 am »
I ordered six DIDs to go under my two Doshi mono blocks. Thanks Lou!

They sit on a Silent Running Audio (SRA) Craz isolation rack so I will be very interested to hear the additional focus on vibration dampening with the DIDS.

One area that good vibration control will affect is the decay of a note in time.  This is most apparent on piano runs where if the equipment is isolated properly the individual notes with be more distinct and separate from each other. This translates to all sound produced and very key harmonics and resonant frequencies and results in better imaging, cleaner separation of instruments and even more lively dynamics. It is very noticable

Cant wait

jriggy

« Reply #31 on: 3 Dec 2015, 03:58 pm »
I ordered six DIDs to go under my two Doshi mono blocks. Thanks Lou!

They sit on a Silent Running Audio (SRA) Craz isolation rack so I will be very interested to hear the additional focus on vibration dampening with the DIDS.

One area that good vibration control will affect is the decay of a note in time.  This is most apparent on piano runs where if the equipment is isolated properly the individual notes with be more distinct and separate from each other. This translates to all sound produced and very key harmonics and resonant frequencies and results in better imaging, cleaner separation of instruments and even more lively dynamics. It is very noticable

Cant wait

You are spot-on here with your comments. This is exactly what the DIDs are doing... Someone recently told me that besides clarity, footers won't do that much other than change the tonal character / tonal shift of the overall sound. Not true with these DIDs.
I have tried a half dozen footers over the past few years or so, including Stillpoint Ultras(!) and the DIDs are the first ones to do NO harm to the sound I know in my room. And the first footers to do great with bass, too. Micro dynamics were a surprise, as well.

RPM123

« Reply #32 on: 3 Dec 2015, 04:39 pm »
Interesting. Has anyone had a chance yet to compare them to Herbie's footers?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #33 on: 3 Dec 2015, 06:07 pm »

I have and it is night and day. I compared them to the footers and to audio point brass cones. The improvement in clarity, focus and detail was immediately apparent with the DIDs.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #34 on: 3 Dec 2015, 10:38 pm »
You are spot-on here with your comments. This is exactly what the DIDs are doing... Someone recently told me that besides clarity, footers won't do that much other than change the tonal character / tonal shift of the overall sound. Not true with these DIDs.
I have tried a half dozen footers over the past few years or so, including Stillpoint Ultras(!) and the DIDs are the first ones to do NO harm to the sound I know in my room. And the first footers to do great with bass, too. Micro dynamics were a surprise, as well.

Hi Jason

good to hear!  my DIDs are in the mail. Which components are you using them on?

I have and it is night and day. I compared them to the footers and to audio point brass cones. The improvement in clarity, focus and detail was immediately apparent with the DIDs.

Has anyone used the DIDs under their speaker riggers?
how much of the overall focus is that? I imagine the source and preamp components to be the most sensitive - particularly tube based products - high gain phono pre the most

I have the Herbie's giant gliders under my speaker riggers on top of medium thick berber carpet on a cement slab
The Herbies work great for speaker positioning

I plan to use my 6 DIDs under my tube mono blocks

Folsom

« Reply #35 on: 3 Dec 2015, 11:31 pm »
I'm fascinated by these. However I simply think the price is wrong. But that doesn't mean it's not correct for the business model as is.

I wouldn't pay anyone less than $20/hr to be working in my shop. I wouldn't sell them at a loss. Also I wouldn't be opposed to normal markup, but might be willing to lower it some for volume.

My question is if the manufacturing of them is geared to sell only a few? Are they only meant to be sold to people that own the big D speakers? That's a mistake I think, personally. If they're so good I'd rather sell them at $40 a pop (+ shipping), let's say you sell a good 5,000 (maybe to distributors, which would be ok for this item). That's $110,000 at 45% going to distributors, and the cash goes up if they're direct sales (why not sell several hundred at a show, pay for the room at RMAF?). So even so, after cost to make (if it can be brought down by producing more) you've still got $88,000. Where as at $160, if you manage to sell 200 of them you've got $32,000, and $25,600 profit after being made.

Obviously I'm unaware of what these cost to make, but with the right equipment one shouldn't have any trouble pumping them out for not too much $. And obviously both profit figures are where advertising and business costs not associated direct production come from.

If they really are better than power cable upgrades, why not give the incentive to load up on them with a price that has everyone buying? There's an awful lot of people that don't buy expensive power cables. Just think, the droves of people that can only afford Salk's great SongTowers, not the gorgeous Daedalus speakers, would be happy to get their hands on something affordable that really makes a difference; but $160 is just out of their conceptually appropriate price range.

I'm not an expert in feet, I just know that at a price where a person that isn't particularly wealth, but could buy a enough for a component every paycheck, they might have a bundle of them.

Sorry if I'm wildly off from the possibility of production costs, I'm just saying it seems like you're onto something that doesn't have to be so piddly for you, and out of reach for so many.

jriggy

« Reply #36 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:08 am »

I also have some Big Tall Tenderfoot footers. The Tenderfoot cleans up some grunge a component may have from vibrations, so it cleans up the sound some.
But the DIDs are in another league! They actually extracting more low-level information; detail, decay, ambience and spacial cues, along with the other stuff mentioned in the thread.

Hi Jason

I am using mine under tubed DAC and tubed preamp...
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2015, 04:09 am by jriggy »

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 4 Dec 2015, 04:47 am »
I'll reply to Folsom's note about production and costs and please if I sound at all snarky that is not my intent, just trying to be straight forward.

First off, yes people should and do get $20 an hour in the shop but you are aware that one has to bill considerably more than that to cover the costs? Taxes, accountant, overhead, training and on and on. Pretty much the same applies to every cost of a product not just the labor, there are MANY hidden costs and when those are not covered then the business does not last which does no one any good. Bottom line is these are priced based on what they cost plus standard multipliers for overhead and distribution with a little in there for profit. It does have to be worthwhile,eh?

A little background on the making of things like this. If one is making something that is all metal or all wood it really isn't that hard to mass produce them (especially the metal parts) but combining the two types of material is another story. Trust me if you can sell these for $40 each I'll just OEM them from you and close my shop.

Bottom line as for the price point, this is what they cost me to bring them out and make it worthwhile, and as it is they cost far less than other devices that actually "work". There are a lot of inexpensive footers but they don't do much if anything and the ones that do really improve the sound cost upwards of $1,000 a set.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 4 Dec 2015, 04:50 am »
Hi Jason

Has anyone used the DIDs under their speaker riggers?
how much of the overall focus is that? I imagine the source and preamp components to be the most sensitive - particularly tube based products - high gain phono pre the most

I have the Herbie's giant gliders under my speaker riggers on top of medium thick berber carpet on a cement slab
The Herbies work great for speaker positioning

I plan to use my 6 DIDs under my tube mono blocks

They are not for use with speakers. There are different forces at play and they really don't help under a speaker. That being said  I have been working on a design that does work at least with my speakers. So far we are making good progress and should have some prototypes ready in a couple of months.

Folsom

« Reply #39 on: 4 Dec 2015, 05:07 am »
Not snarky in the least!

My figures included 5x markup, standard, and for every reason conceivable. And for employee rate I simply meant that I wouldn't bring on someone paid a child's wage to make something cheaper; it's a requirement for me that anyone I'm working with be treated like an adult and that cost is part of operations and therefor pricing.

Like I was saying, I don't know that it's possible at all to make them cheaper that fits a respectable business model. But I am saying if there was a way I think everyone would benefit as opposed to primarily customers that buy your speakers. For someone's system to feature these they may be spending as much as they did on speakers.

I apologize, as I in no way mean to stir trouble here. These just look awesome, and clearly perform thus as well. They have to cost what they cost. I'm no different for pricing. Usually I'm arguing that everyone is trying to get something for nothing, and they should back off because those who make audio gear have to eat too.