Stratos Kismet mated to Focal Kanta 2 experiences.

Illaheman

Stratos Kismet mated to Focal Kanta 2 experiences.
« on: 11 May 2021, 02:49 am »
I have a new Stratos Kismet amplifier. Love it! I have a Hegel p20 preamplifier and I’m doing CD’s and streaming Tidal through an Auralic Altair G1.

I’ve been thinking about two speakers to replace my present speakers. Presently, the only way to demo is to buy a fully refundable test drive. So, I’d like some views of mating my electronics to the following before I get too committed.

Do I have enough juice for the KEFs? Matching my stuff to either of these speakers, should I be listening for or expecting certain weaknesses? I’m a novice, getting back into 2-channel after a 40 year enjoyment of previous equipment. 

I can really tell a difference in sound since buying what I now have. I now hope for some speakers that will dazzle me. I mostly listen to classical, jazz, opera , blues, and older rock.

I’m interested in the Kanta No.2.

I’m also very interested in the KEF Reference 1 and a rel subwoofer.

Size of room…about 350 sq ft and 10’ ceilings.

Looking for helpful guidance.

GeneS

Re: Stratos Kismet mated to Focal Kanta 2 experiences.
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2021, 11:43 am »
I can’t speak to the Focals, but I can tell you that Odyssey amps were used at an audio show to drive the KEF Muons ($225,000) at their debut. KEF could have used anyone they wanted, so I would venture that they found the Odyssey/KEF combination very good.
I don’t think power will be your issue. It will be, as it is for all of us, synergy synergy synergy.

artur9

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2021, 12:37 am »
If you're near NYC, there's a bunch of listening rooms there.

Don't know anything about Kantas.  I heard the Muons at a show.  Only speakers my better half ever liked the sound of.

I use my Odyssey Stratos Monos to drive Janszen.  They are built near Columbus, OH.  I absolute love the sound of them.  Pure, deep, fast.

When I was shopping before, I was lucky to have a 2 stores near me let me listen to some speakers.

I was came across a local Legacy Audio dealer and could hear them in his in-home listening room.

tino27

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2021, 11:01 pm »
I use my Odyssey Stratos Monos to drive Janszen.  They are built near Columbus, OH.  I absolute love the sound of them.  Pure, deep, fast.

Glad to see some love for Janszen speakers! I, too, was using my Odyssey Stratus Monos to drive a pair of zA1.1s (now the Carmelitas). In fact, about a month ago I decided to upgrade to the zA2.1s (now the Valentina P8s). I've since moved on to a different amp with the Carmelitas, but the guy I sold my Stratos Monos to is seriously interested in purchasing my Carmelitas when I finally take possession of the P8s sometime later this year, so they'd be reunited again. Quite the sound combination!

Which Janszen model do you own?

artur9

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2021, 03:27 am »
Which Janszen model do you own?
I have some white za2.1 that I got used. 
They are just about perfect for me.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2021, 03:03 am »
Hi,

Have you thought about buying one of Klaus' speakers. He gets rave reviews from the hifi shows he attends:

https://odysseyaudio.com/lorelei-floorstanding-speaker/

Cheers Rod

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2021, 03:12 am »
I heard Klaus stuff at the DC show (name escapes me). 
Great stuff!

GM1055

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2021, 03:15 pm »
Buy the Liquids from Klaus, they are a perfect match to your Odyssey amps. I have them and there the best speaker I have ever had! Go to the Capital Audio fest in November Klaus will be there.