Help with Cu resistors

Oscillate

Help with Cu resistors
« on: 4 Feb 2024, 12:43 pm »
A while back, someone(s) had tried using all copper resistors when building
the crossovers for thier GR Research speakers (in addition to Miflex Cu caps).

Does anyone recall what was the brand of those Cu resistors?

Any feedback on how they sounded?

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Help with Cu resistors
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2024, 07:31 pm »
Path Audio makes very good sounding copper resistors. 

If you have the space and $$, the the Duelund CAST resistors are even better.

Jaytor

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2024, 03:16 pm »

These are both excellent resistors although the actual resistive element in these isn't copper. They use copper leads and shielding. I don't know of any resistors that use copper as the resistive element.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2024, 07:09 pm »
My main gripe with the Path Audio resistors is that they have steel/ferrous end caps, despite marketing them as "non-magnetic."
It's possible that some don't, or they didn't at one time, but every one I've personally handled so far has had ferrous materials inside of them.

They do sound very good, and I still use them in the primary crossovers for my NX-Studios, but I personally wouldn't buy them again.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2024, 04:53 pm »
My main gripe with the Path Audio resistors is that they have steel/ferrous end caps, despite marketing them as "non-magnetic."
It's possible that some don't, or they didn't at one time, but every one I've personally handled so far has had ferrous materials inside of them.

They do sound very good, and I still use them in the primary crossovers for my NX-Studios, but I personally wouldn't buy them again.

The last ones I checked with N52 magnets did act like there might have been something ferrous but the attraction was very weak.  Even with a stack of the N52s, the attraction wasn't strong enough to pull the resistor across a flat surface let alone pick it up. Guess I could cut one open to find out but they cost too much for me to be interested enough to do that.

Tyson

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2024, 05:31 pm »

If they sound better, why stop using them?  Better sound is better sound.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2024, 06:56 pm »
The last ones I checked with N52 magnets did act like there might have been something ferrous but the attraction was very weak.  Even with a stack of the N52s, the attraction wasn't strong enough to pull the resistor across a flat surface let alone pick it up. Guess I could cut one open to find out but they cost too much for me to be interested enough to do that.

I had one that I broke a lead off and later pulled apart a year or so ago and the end caps are definitely ferrous.
The copper and distance does reduce the attraction externally though.

If they sound better, why stop using them?  Better sound is better sound.

They are still among the best quality resistors on the market, but it is technically false advertising, tbh.

I plan to stick to the Duelund graphite resistors going forward for any over the top builds.
I may also play around with adding copper sleeves to our Dayton resistors.

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2024, 07:01 pm »
I had one that I broke a lead off and later pulled apart a year or so ago and the end caps are definitely ferrous.
The copper and distance does reduce the attraction externally though.

They are still among the best quality resistors on the market, but it is technically false advertising, tbh.

I plan to stick to the Duelund graphite resistors going forward for any over the top builds.
I may also play around with adding copper sleeves to our Dayton resistors.

I use Duelunds too, they sound the best.  But they are so long they can get unwieldy inside smaller speakers (like the LGK's).  For smaller speakers I still use Path.

BrandonB

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2024, 03:55 pm »
I use Duelunds too, they sound the best.  But they are so long they can get unwieldy inside smaller speakers (like the LGK's).  For smaller speakers I still use Path.

I wanted to use Deuland in my NX-Otica crossover but the length was an issue when putting it on the board and keeping it neat and tidy. 

LDO6295

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2024, 05:27 pm »
Hello, Everyone!

New to this site and new to speaker/amp DIY. Found this site searching for the same question as Hobbsmeerkat. Ordered some Path Audio resistors from Parts Connexion and as I was preparing to install them in my tweeter crossover, the magnetic base of my portable light accidently picked one up. What!? Both ends are very magnetic. At first, I thought that maybe I got fake resistors (is that a thing?). I asked Parts Connexion tech support if they could verify that magnetic end caps were present on authentic Path resistors. While the tech responded very quickly, the response was a cut/paste of the Path Audio website description. Not very helpful. How can they say "non-magnetic design"?

So, thank you, Hobbsmeerkat. Now I know that this is a deliberate "feature" of the Path Audio resistors and I agree that I won't be using them either. I went to great lengths to avoid ferro-magnetic components/fastners in this speaker. I'll be keeping the Mundorf Supremes, which are very good. Very neutral.

Oscillate

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2024, 04:50 pm »
Has anyone else used or heard a review of any of the various Mundorf series
as mentioned in the posting above?

https://www.mundorf.com/audio/en/shop/Resistors/MResist_Supreme/

Also, about how many watts of resistance is a good choice for audio cross-overs?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2024, 06:48 pm »
Mundorf makes pretty decent wire-wound resistors from what I've seen, but I haven't worked with them to know how they compare sonically.

For most speaker crossovers 10W is more than plenty, especially for tweeter and most mid circuits.

It's uncommon to need 20W resistors, or higher, unless you've got a unique or complex bass circuit or mids that play down fairly low.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2024, 08:42 pm »

Could not agree more.
charles