MULTICHANNEL CHIME FOR 12V POWER SUPPLY

cougarz

MULTICHANNEL CHIME FOR 12V POWER SUPPLY
« on: 16 Jan 2007, 01:43 am »
Is it possible to modify a Chime for using it in car environment?
Actually Hi-end car systems need multiamplification and signal processing (delay, equalisation) on every single speakers to get good results in asymmetrical listening position.
Pc is perfect solution for storing and  playng wave files as well as processing audio signal with VST plugins. Actually the car audiophiles that want to use a pc based system need to buy AUDIO PRO sound boards like MOTU or RME paying more then half of total price for not needed A/D conversion, midi I/O, ecc and getting a digital volume that is not very hi-end.
I was wandering if what you did for 2 channel Hifi is exportable to 6 channel, 12v DAC+PRE. HAGDAC seems good for DAC section. 12V through dedicated lead acid battery.
How to realize the remaining stuff? Firewire or usb to 3xI2S or 3xS/PDIF, 6 channel preamplifier ecc?
Does Hagdac accept I2s input instead of s/pdif? Is aut there an equivalent Hagusb converter for multichannel audio streming?
Paolo

hagtech

• Facilitator
    • http://www.hagtech.com
Re: MULTICHANNEL CHIME FOR 12V POWER SUPPLY
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2007, 07:36 pm »
Lots of work putting a CHIME into a car.  Power supply is one big issue.  Do you use an inverter to make 120Vac?  Or design a new supply that runs straight from 12V?  Or just run a HAGDAC section?

I'm not sure how to get a 6 channel output, other than using the pro audio type cards you suggested.  I believe the next generation USB audio chips from TI will be 5 or 6 channel at 16 bits.  The direction is multi-channel, not higher resolution with more bits or faster sampling rates (dang!  I wanted 24/96k from USB).  FireWire audio might be an option too.

HAGDAC does not accept I2S inputs. 

jh