Source Components Electronic HRS w/NOH?

Jamiehughburr

« on: 16 Dec 2003, 09:42 pm »
Dear John: I am interested in upgrading my current passive line stage to a NOH.
I am currently using a Reference Line Audio 1b [balanced] passive linestage followed by Source Components Electronic's Harmonic Recovery System (balanced buffers-see description and reviews at www.sceaudio.com) to my Bel Canto 200.2s (bridged monos). The HRS benefitted the Reference Line by providing a more benign impedence and 3db in gain. Any thoughts as to whether I'd still need them with a balanced NOH with the 6db gain, or whether I'd need to try them with the NOH first?    :?:

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2003, 10:37 pm »
Hello!

When using a tx102 the output impedance is typically much lower than a traditional resistor based passive - this is the main benifit of a TVC.

There are 2 parts to the answer though - gain and sound.

1- Gain. If you normally run up at the top range of the passive now then you'll likely need the +6db option . If you never turn past 2:00 or 3:00 or so on the dial then it is likely you really don't need the gain.  If you run direct (no buffer) is the top level loud enough for any listening you would do?

2- Sound. I like the tx102 direct but a nice buffer stage can do some cool stuff so if the SCE unit happens to do something you and your system like then you may choose to leave it in. This is imposible to guess ahead of time but if you have it then I'd say keep it around and try it.  

Many Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

Jamiehughburr

Thanks, John!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2003, 03:28 pm »
Dear John: Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. Your answers are always informative and generous to the competition. I guess I'll stick with the HRS until I get the NOH w/ the 6db switch and see how it sounds.  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (which I'll have after I get the NOH). Best. Jamie