My new SongBirds

purplesaber

My new SongBirds
« on: 6 Jun 2010, 07:14 am »
As promised I'm very happy to share some pictures of my new SongBirds below.

I should say (as I mentioned in Bill's thread) that I did not audition any Salk speakers before buying, but was very impressed with the universally positive reviews online and decided to jump in. I really like that the speakers are made just for me -- the "birth certificate" that comes with the speakers is a nice touch!

I wanted small floorstanding speakers for 2-channel music listening in my living room which is why I chose the SBs over the SongTowers. In retrospect I think STs would have fit as well, but would have been a more dominating presence in the living room. The SBs are very attractive and visitors notice them and comment on their good looks, but they are small enough to tuck away too.

So a couple of comments as a new owner. First aesthetics: the speakers simply radiate quality. I can't tell you how much nicer these things are in person than in pictures! I've looked at lots of pictures in this forum and on the Salk website and all the speakers look good, but none of the pix do justice to the real life speakers. They are as good as the nicest furniture I've owned. They are solid, tight, polished, smooth, straight -- a pleasure to touch and even to just look at. I upgraded to full cherry baffles and plinths, which is another (smaller) reason I chose the SBs (with the upgrades the price is about the same as regular STs).

Second sound quality: okay I have to say straight off I'm an audio newbie and not a great person to review speakers. I've listened to floorstanders at Best Buy and higher end Polks at a relative's house and that's about it. I have an Orb audio satellites and sub in the family room for 5.1 home theater and other than that not much to compare with. All that being said, the SBs sound really really good to my ears. A lot better than the same music played through the Orbs. Even I can tell that the SBs don't go as low as the sub/sat combo but the music sounds tighter, crisper and more lively to me with the SBs. The best description I can say is that they sound "exciting and vibrant" in a way I haven't heard music before. It's a real pleasure to become reacquainted with my favorite albums -- lot's of things I've never noticed in the music before.

If anyone is curious I am running my music digitally from an Apple TV (toslink) into a Maverick DAC/preamp and then to a Parasound a23 amp. I can control everything from my iPhone which is a neat way to dial up the tunes.

So here are the pix -- a few of them in their home in the living room, one of them near a cherry bookcase (to show how Jim did an excellent job matching the stain of the cherry as I'd requested), and one in a room with a lot of sunlight to try and get a better photo of the beautiful wood and workmanship.

--David

funkmonkey

Re: My new SongBirds
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2010, 08:24 am »
beautiful house, David.  And the SongBirds fit right in!  Nice to see them out in the wild.  :thumb:

You said all that you need to with this quote:
It's a real pleasure to become reacquainted with my favorite albums -- lot's of things I've never noticed in the music before.

Absolutely a pleasure to hear new things in the music that you know (or thought you knew) very well.

Congratulations on your new SongBirds  :thumb:  I hope they provide you with many years of enjoyment.
-Greg

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2010, 10:21 am »
You chose well with the solid baffles.  I love the look of those in your room.  This is another winner from the Salk shop which are all great folks.

jd3

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2010, 10:31 am »
Very nice David.  Glad to hear they've opened a new level of musical enjoyment for you.  Can't wait to get mine, but makes me wish I'd ordered with the solid baffles...but then they wouldn't match my ST's.  :wink:

R Swerdlow

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2010, 01:12 pm »
Thanks David for the photos.  As an owner of cherry STs with conventional black front baffles, I really liked seeing your SBs with all cherry fronts, the solid rounded edges, and plinth.  They are gorgeous.

Even after 3 years, I often find myself staring at my speakers.  The veneer has such depth and pattern that they are always entertaining to look at.

I have often been told by people who had looked at but not (yet) heard them that my speakers were quite nice.

Enjoy listening and showing yours off.

HAITIMAN

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2010, 01:50 pm »
David:

The room is very cool.

congrats

sirbrine

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2010, 02:10 pm »
David, these SongBirds are very nice!  I really like the way Jim matched your Cherry bookcase.

I have a pair of SongTowers on order and Jim is matching the oak finish to an entertainment center and some tables we have.  Unfortunately it turned out to be a bit more challenging than he first thought.  I can't wait to get them and am trying to take my mind off of the wait by enjoying what everyone else is getting.

Tony

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2010, 03:30 pm »
Thanks for the write-up and pictures, David.  They look amazing in your beautiful room.  Great choice on the solid baffle!

coke

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2010, 03:34 pm »
I usually prefer the look of the black baffles, but the solid baffle on yours just seems to work.  Very nice choice.

mathgeek97

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2010, 11:59 pm »
I usually prefer the look of the black baffles, but the solid baffle on yours just seems to work.  Very nice choice.

What coke said!  I think the solid baffle is definitely the way to go on the SongBirds if you have the extra cash.
Jim, well done!

mark funk

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2010, 09:16 pm »
I really like the way those look  :thumb:.

:smoke:

sarge_in

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2010, 04:24 pm »
These look beautiful - congrats! And excellent match with your furniture!!

How do you like the rounded edges?  I have been thinking about them myself.

albireo13

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2010, 03:25 pm »
Any updates on how you like the sound with your SBs?
What is size of your room?  How well do the SBs fill the room with sound?

I am planning either SB, ST, or SongSurrounds myself.   It's all about finances.
Budget is tight. Otherwise it's a no-brainer .. I'd get the STs.

Rob

sbrownnw

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2015, 07:06 pm »
I just ordered a pair of SongBirds in the standard curly walnut with the burst look (has the full wood front but sanded and darkened edges, almost an antiqued / softened look).

sbrownnw

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2015, 09:19 pm »
Hello,

How far are your SongBirds from the front wall?  How many different positions did you try?  They look rather close, do you get any boxy or port noise?  I am not sure if I should go front or rear location for the port as I plan on running them about 14" away from the front wall...

Thanks,

Scott

As promised I'm very happy to share some pictures of my new SongBirds below.

I should say (as I mentioned in Bill's thread) that I did not audition any Salk speakers before buying, but was very impressed with the universally positive reviews online and decided to jump in. I really like that the speakers are made just for me -- the "birth certificate" that comes with the speakers is a nice touch!

I wanted small floorstanding speakers for 2-channel music listening in my living room which is why I chose the SBs over the SongTowers. In retrospect I think STs would have fit as well, but would have been a more dominating presence in the living room. The SBs are very attractive and visitors notice them and comment on their good looks, but they are small enough to tuck away too.

So a couple of comments as a new owner. First aesthetics: the speakers simply radiate quality. I can't tell you how much nicer these things are in person than in pictures! I've looked at lots of pictures in this forum and on the Salk website and all the speakers look good, but none of the pix do justice to the real life speakers. They are as good as the nicest furniture I've owned. They are solid, tight, polished, smooth, straight -- a pleasure to touch and even to just look at. I upgraded to full cherry baffles and plinths, which is another (smaller) reason I chose the SBs (with the upgrades the price is about the same as regular STs).

Second sound quality: okay I have to say straight off I'm an audio newbie and not a great person to review speakers. I've listened to floorstanders at Best Buy and higher end Polks at a relative's house and that's about it. I have an Orb audio satellites and sub in the family room for 5.1 home theater and other than that not much to compare with. All that being said, the SBs sound really really good to my ears. A lot better than the same music played through the Orbs. Even I can tell that the SBs don't go as low as the sub/sat combo but the music sounds tighter, crisper and more lively to me with the SBs. The best description I can say is that they sound "exciting and vibrant" in a way I haven't heard music before. It's a real pleasure to become reacquainted with my favorite albums -- lot's of things I've never noticed in the music before.

If anyone is curious I am running my music digitally from an Apple TV (toslink) into a Maverick DAC/preamp and then to a Parasound a23 amp. I can control everything from my iPhone which is a neat way to dial up the tunes.

So here are the pix -- a few of them in their home in the living room, one of them near a cherry bookcase (to show how Jim did an excellent job matching the stain of the cherry as I'd requested), and one in a room with a lot of sunlight to try and get a better photo of the beautiful wood and workmanship.

--David

SCompRacer

« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2015, 05:30 pm »
Very nice! High marks!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2015, 05:38 pm »
Love your choice of furniture in that room, especially the couch!

Nice job!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2015, 05:39 pm »
Hi, Scott.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new speakers. May I suggest an idea? This thread is really old. The original poster (OP) hasn't been active on AC since 2012. If you post to a new thread where you are the OP, more folks will take notice and possibly post replies.

Hope this is helpful.

P.S. I don't have SongBirds (I have stand-mounted monitors), but I favor front ported speakers  (or sealed speakers) because my speakers tend to be fairly close to the front wall. For some strange reason, my wife just can't seem to appreciate speakers that must sit four feet into the room. What's up with that anyway?  :nono:

Michael