Discovering A Mac 4100 Vintage Vinylizer

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Discovering A Mac 4100 Vintage Vinylizer
« on: 18 Jan 2016, 03:16 pm »
Had an interesting and fun experience stumbling across a vintage McIntosh receiver at an estate sale.
Wrote it up and posted it on our website.
Enjoy!  :thumb:
Morten

http://www.tortugaaudio.com/discovering-mac-4100-vintage-vinylizer/

Freo-1

Re: Discovering A Mac 4100 Vintage Vinylizer
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2016, 03:45 pm »
Welcome to the world of Mcintosh.   It's a very enjoyable ride.

Next, you need to try a Mac with autoformers.  They provide a deeper level of clarity ad detail above the non-autoformer units. 

As far as solid state goes, Mcintosh is among the best sounding gear made.  They are also long lasting, and pretty reliable, as long as they are not abused/overdriven. 

Well done, and thanks for sharing.

tasar

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2016, 11:50 pm »
Agreed Freo-1. The Japanese builds of the day also knew enough to "main in " receivers. They're unique in this way as the integrated types robbed you of this possibility. The back ends of these 70-80s units were exemplary, priceless at today's prices.

PM me when you're ready to sell that 4100, Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2016, 02:29 pm »
Agreed Freo-1. The Japanese builds of the day also knew enough to "main in " receivers. They're unique in this way as the integrated types robbed you of this possibility. The back ends of these 70-80s units were exemplary, priceless at today's prices.

PM me when you're ready to sell that 4100, Morten

Having lived with this 4100 for the past 2 months I think I'll be holding on to this one. Having heard it one of my daughters informed me she intended to inherit it.  :thumb: