Which Metal artists that have excellent sound quality recordings?

GregC

I was just listening to a 24/96 rip of Metallica Black Album today and it sounded excellent IMHO. I have all 5 of the first Metallica albums as original pressings, having bought Kill M All and Master of Puppets new in 1984.  With good quality vinyl recordings the rips can really sound excellent.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Only downside to Metallica was they lowered the mix on the bass guitar to barely audible. Luckily nobody listens to Metallica for the bass guitar  :lol:

DannyBadorine

Most stuff is done in 24/96k or 32 bit float/96k.
Do you can show us any solid evidence of this miracle or just an opinion?
24/96 is the format various classical labels use today as BIS, before this BIS used 24/44 for many years, pop and rock bands use what the studio have on hand, unless the band are an icon of perfection as Pink Floyd or VDGG.

I guess my direct evidence would be on the hard drives that I have used to record some of these bands and it's all at 24 bit/96k.  A google search will show that guys like Joe Barresi (Tool, Slipknot and many others) and most other engineers have been working in 96K for years.  I work as a live engineer and record every show at 24bit/96k in case it will be mixed later.  I also did a couple of live streams and a TV show during the pandemic and it was all at 24 bit/96k.  Some guys still like 24/48k but they are the minority.  This isn't just for metal or classical.  It's pretty much everything. 
Here's an article talking about the making of Tool's 10,000 days record where they talk about it being done at 24/96k then mixed down to 16/44.1 for CD, which is the normal process. 
https://www.mixonline.com/recording/making-tools-10000-days-365657

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Really.