ADS SAT 7

Apexkingjusto

ADS SAT 7
« on: 14 Nov 2022, 02:17 pm »
Just picked up a pair of SAT7’s from a local store going out of business. I saw the video about not modifying old speaker, but I’m really tempted to use these for a custom build using a set of my focal domes plus a woofer. That said, I have a TON to learn, and will be enjoying them as is until I learn more.

Would love any insight into these.

I have heard about Richard Ho for rebuilding, and found this brochure online http://sportsbil.com/ads/subs-sats-b.pdf

I’d love to find the wave/frequency charts for these and compare to the dome’s maybe get some sort of DSP where I can control the curves on them and even see how it is if I cut out the highs on the ADS’s and use the dome for say 3000 up.

VinceT

Re: ADS SAT 7
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2022, 03:18 pm »
Are they trashed or still functioning?

I own a pair of L570s and built a system for my kids with an old Marantz. Sometimes I am jealous how good the system sounds.

They may not measure the best but there is something about the old ADS speakers, they just sound darn good. Congrats on your find.

Apexkingjusto

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2022, 04:28 pm »
Thanks! Outside of cosmetics, which aren’t that bad but there is a small chip on the corner, they are in great shape and sound incredible. I grew up listening to my older brothers L1290’s so it’s nice to have a set of similar speakers.

Where do you find the 570’s to be lacking?

I just ran audysee and was amazed it didn’t balk at having the focal’s still playing. I really think I got lucky with the mounting points and room acoustics and am somehow avoiding comb filtering.

I’ll try to do an audysse analysis with just the focals and then just the ADS’s in the front for comparison later.

VinceT

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2022, 06:00 pm »
I had a pair of 1090s, I do miss not having the dome mid in my 570s. The 570s are not as smooth as the 1090s and do not image as well as the 1090s or 1290s, but they punch a little better in the low mid. I bet those sound good being a little 3 way. I would not gut them, they look really nice and bet sound great! If you moved them away from the back wall into the room a little more for critical listening it would probably smooth that hump in the low end and sound nicer away from the glass.

Apexkingjusto

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2022, 07:22 pm »
Yea I’m pretty amazed with the imaging, especially for such an older speaker!

I figured the glass behind the speakers wasn’t great, but thought since it’s a closed box it would be ok. I’d love to put them further off but my wife has her garden and then we always have the door open on the left.

After playing with the audysse and hearing how good they sound I think I’ll probably leave them as is. I couldn’t believe how clean it sounded upstairs from my loft now too! I’m just still trying to figure out how I don’t seem to detect any comb filtering or cancellations with having the two sets of fronts.

Apparently Mick Jagger used to go through these sat7’s like crazy, fun little fact I saw in another forum.

Apexkingjusto

Re: ADS SAT 7 plus B&K ST-140M (monoblocks)
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2022, 01:28 am »
Scored some B&K monoblocks off marketplace this past week. They needed a fuse replaced, and are now working fantastically. A great power source for these ADS’s!

Now onto a new record player….