Cheap preamp with Bluetooth & ARC

Viscouse

Cheap preamp with Bluetooth & ARC
« on: 11 Nov 2022, 08:42 pm »
Hopefully this discussion qualifies for this forum.
I recently acquired some speakers & power amps. But, I need a source to drive them. Instead of a large rack system with tons of DSP or other fancy frills, I want something small & simple. My requirements:
1. This will replace a soundbar that currently talks to my TV via HDMI, and switches audio automatically via ARC. Don't have to manually switch source everytime I want to watch TV.
2. Accept Bluetooth audio
3. Have a 1/8" headphone jack

I was thinking this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0BBRBWW36/
But I don't know how to do the ARC portion so it switches automatically. Anyone have any ideas?

Viscouse

Re: Cheap preamp with Bluetooth & ARC
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2022, 09:03 pm »
The more I think about it, the more it doesn't make sense to me.
I like changing the volume using the TV remote and I don't want to add a remote to my system. Technically, I have 2 (TV & soundbar). If I get a preamp like I mentioned in the OP I just use optical out from TV and use the preamp remote. Net change = 0.  :D

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2022, 01:33 pm »
The unit you linked to is an integrated amp with speaker outputs, not strictly a preamp.  There are approximately a zillion different ChiFi dac/preamp units that would work in your setup.  Which is the next question, you say some amps and speakers, which ones might help in the recommendation.  I've bought a few items from the ChiFi market and had very good luck, others had reliability issues.  I'd recommend staying with the big players like Topping, SMLS, and Loxie.  Ifi and Schitt are well respected American brands that have lower priced lines. 

I also wanted one remote for my TV system.  I run a two channel setup with an Xfinity Flex, think Roku, remote running the volume, streaming service selection, and on off.  I take the optical feed from an LG 4k 65" thru an ancient DAC that sounds great, to a 90s Nakimichi receiver acting as an integrated amp.  My Flex remote controls the volume on the Nak, but you could do it from the TV or a Dac preamp with volume control included, something like my Topping D3 DAC. 

Sticking with those brands you're mostly looking for connectivity options.  You need optical, HDMI might help but not necessary, and maybe a volume control.  Then just run your rca connections to the amp.

Viscouse

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2022, 03:45 pm »
Thanks Letitroll98, that makes a lot of sense.

CarlXu

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2022, 09:10 am »
Hopefully this discussion qualifies for this forum.
I recently acquired some speakers & power amps. But, I need a source to drive them. Instead of a large rack system with tons of DSP or other fancy frills, I want something small & simple. My requirements:
1. This will replace a soundbar that currently talks to my TV via HDMI, and switches audio automatically via ARC. Don't have to manually switch source everytime I want to watch TV.
2. Accept Bluetooth audio
3. Have a 1/8" headphone jack

But I don't know how to do the ARC portion so it switches automatically. Anyone have any ideas?

But it doesn't have a HDMI input!

Viscouse

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2022, 05:15 pm »
But it doesn't have a HDMI input!
This is true. I will just run the optical from the TV to the integrated amp and deal with 2 remotes. Or get a universal remote.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2022, 05:41 pm »

I just purchased one of these from aliexpress. I have very different requirements than you however.  Bluetooth, a few normal inputs, and it had to look good to show off the tubes.  took a gamble with my under $100 so not much to lose.