Horns love low powered amps

Hornucopia

Re: Horns love low powered amps
« Reply #20 on: 7 Sep 2022, 09:35 pm »
AS my monicker suggests,I've owned horns for a long spell!
Beginning with Klipschorns in 1981, then the Duos (as string starter) 20 years later, though, as someone points out, the Duos' bass isa powered direct driver, not a horn.
I recall pictures of people maiking a bass horn that ran from their garden into a bay window, so one can see getting a REAL bass horn involves SPACE!
Simple law of physics.
It's far too far into my past to recall just how 'good' the Ks were, but I have fond memories of them, flawed though they might be.
They had a life-size sound, as much as anything making 'normal' boxes sound just that - boxes.
I'd love to have had mine 'improved' by the Volti upgrades.
As to amplification, I did run mine initially with a Hafler DH200 which is in theory overkill, but ,like horsepower in a car, it gives you more power, which in hifi means faster rise time?
Switching to DNM amp gave me more depth.
Though a Son of T chip amp did surprisingly well too!

Nvk90

Re: Horns love low powered amps
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2023, 09:40 am »
My Oris 200 horns with AER drivers sounded wonderful. Sure they had bass bins,  most horn systems do. Unless you have room for giant bass horns. The bass was also fantastic, fast, tight, visceral and musical.

I used quite a number of tube amps on the horn section and most of them sounded great. One of the best amps I used with that system was the Cyrus Brenneman Cavalier Plus. There’s one I wish I hadn’t sold…

It seems a certain member here tends to project his opinions in a negative fashion into many threads where they are unnecessary and often off topic.

May I ask what AER drivers did you use?  How low did they go? And do they sound somewhat forward?