Weird look on TV's/channels

Folsom

Weird look on TV's/channels
« on: 21 Jan 2022, 04:01 am »
I've noticed on some people's TV's everything looks slightly blue, but even more so the framerate or something looks weird to me on some HD TVs.

Cheaper Samsungs often have a blue light ting you have to adjust out a bit from LED backlight but there's something that steals the movie magic and makes it look... not smooth. You notice shaking more. Maybe you can see more definition but it's disorienting and makes you feel like it is filmed - it draws you out of the movie magic.

NO MOVIE THEATER EVER LOOKS THIS WAY. It's only something I see on TV's and it is unwatchable for me. It's like the interpolating is f'd or something with low frame rates? I can't pin it down but it's horrible...

Right now on DirecTV the AMCHD channel version of Edge of Tomorrow has the look. IT'S SO BAD.

Folsom

Re: Weird look on TV's/channels
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2022, 05:35 am »
This is on discs & streaming too, not just sat/cable.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2022, 11:27 am »
Do you calibrate your TV?  I use the Video Essentials disc to get close, then tweek by hand.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2022, 12:55 pm »
No.

But I have to note this is the first time EVER that I've seen this "look" on my TV. It's like something horrible is wrong to me but I see it on other people's TV's and they think it's normal?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2022, 03:48 pm »
No.

But I have to note this is the first time EVER that I've seen this "look" on my TV. It's like something horrible is wrong to me but I see it on other people's TV's and they think it's normal?

It's almost always interpolation of frame rates that cause that 'soap opera' type of look.  Luckily you can turn it off on most TV's.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2022, 04:51 pm »
Ya maybe that's it. It's sooooo bad.

Soap opera look might be a fair description although they're often darker. Still I think it pretty well describes it.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2022, 07:07 pm »
I see the same effect on friend's TVs, I'm always gracious and don't say anything because they seem to like it. When I'm visiting I'm drinking wine and not there to spend an hour to try to "fix" their TV. The affordable 65" Samsung Crystal UHD TU700D has "soap opera" enabled. Or it could be because it's a cheap LCD. Don't know, don't care, I'll never buy one based on what I see. I'm spoiled by my 60" Panasonic plasma, 2160p SDR video down sampled to 1080p actually looks better than the standard 1080p format. Here is why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfnpzPVvQAE

Soap Opera Look
https://www.cined.com/the-soap-opera-effect-how-your-tv-is-destroying-cinematic-efforts/

Gizmodo - How to Fix It
https://gizmodo.com/why-youre-watching-tv-all-wrong-and-how-to-fix-it-1798619271

Carlman

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2022, 07:15 pm »
.... I'm spoiled by my 60" Panasonic plasma, 2160p SDR video down sampled to 1080p actually looks better than 1080p. Here is why:

So it's not just me! I use a 4K source to 1080p and I think it looks better than it's ever looked... Even when everything was in 1080p. 
I'm still working on fine-tuning my home theater, but glad to hear this little tidbit. Thanks for the link.

By the way, soap opera effect is so ridiculous, I don't know why it's still on TVs. But I guess people like it?

mhconley

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:30 pm »
The soap opera effect drives me crazy. I turn it off every time I find it on. I don't know how many hotel and Airbnb TVs I've disabled it on.  :green:

Martin

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2022, 09:32 pm »
What's crazy is in some pieces of equipment it's not just 1 setting you have to deal with.  With my JVC NX7, there were 4 separate settings that resulted in a soap opera effect.  SHM.

Chewbacca

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2022, 09:59 pm »
I CANNOT stand the soap opera effect!... I cringe if I have to watch a TV at a friends house that isn't optimized. It has to do with standard TV's will be at 60hz (60fps), and all movie theaters always run at 24fps (or 26? I don't exactly remember).

All regular cinematic experiences should be at 24fps, NO DOUBT! (in my oh so humble opinion :lol:) Interviews and other random things, even nature shows, I usually switch it to 60.

Anything with gaming, or even watching a game stream (video/computer games) you'd always want it to 60fps or above (if you can) - 240hz on my computer monitor.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2022, 12:18 am »
I have some settings to switch. I'm going to go ham on every TV forevermore, disabling everything.

VinceT

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2022, 12:23 am »
I just bought a new Sony OLEG and youtubed reviews and set up videos from users that own the same TV. It really has made a difference in the performace and picture.