HT cOz

Re: Need some help with new DAC purchase
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2020, 10:31 pm »
OT this arrived today

:thumb:

Escott1377

« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2020, 12:04 am »
Alas, I might have some $$ in my wallet if I had never discovered tubes.

I have a pair of 300B EML mesh grids in my closet just waiting for my pre amp when we finish closing on the new house.

We moved from SC to Louisville last fall so no room for a full stereo in the apt :(

rodge827

« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2020, 12:18 am »
OT this arrived today

:thumb:

Damn! Could have given you a sweet deal on one of those...has about 50 hours on it.

HT cOz

« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2020, 12:40 am »
Alas, I might have some $$ in my wallet if I had never discovered tubes.

I have a pair of 300B EML mesh grids in my closet just waiting for my pre amp when we finish closing on the new house.

We moved from SC to Louisville last fall so no room for a full stereo in the apt :(

Nice that must be one heck of a pre amp

HT cOz

« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2020, 12:41 am »
Damn! Could have given you a sweet deal on one of those...has about 50 hours on it.

This one was $150 on eBay so not the safest path to bliss. But sometimes you have to roll the dice.

Escott1377

« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2020, 11:12 am »
I’ve purchased plenty of tubes from Ebay wo an issue.  If it’s a high rated seller, you will be fine.  Good luck!

Escott1377

« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2020, 11:17 am »
So I pretty much decided that the Upgraded Toubador was going to be my choice.

Then I started thinking about the Mytek Brooklyn+ and started reading its reviews.  Everything I could find was very positive, comparing it to Benchmark as having a cooler, less critical sound.

I have owned Benchmark products in the past.  I had an A/D converter for live recording.

This puts the equipment back into Delta Sigma however.

I think I mentioned that I have a pair of Primaluna Dialogues as amps and my pre amp uses a pair of Emission Lab 300B’s.

Wondering everyone’s opinion if there is enough tubes in the chain to take the edge off the Mytek?

Escott1377

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jul 2020, 12:00 am »
Thought I would circle back on this and post that I was able to find a used MHDT Orchid and snatched it up.  It will be my first dive into R2R DAC’s and the price was fair.  Excited that I was lucky to locate a sale that did not break the bank.  There is a member on A Circle that does a cap / resistor mod that I plan on having done in the spring.  Fingers crossed that is sounds as well as it is reviewed!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #28 on: 15 Jul 2020, 05:34 am »
I was hoping you were going to say you got the Tubadour, so you could describe how it sounds. However, I'm also quite curious to read how you like the Orchid. Will you hear it before the mods?

Michael

Escott1377

« Reply #29 on: 15 Jul 2020, 09:50 am »
I was hoping you were going to say you got the Tubadour, so you could describe how it sounds. However, I'm also quite curious to read how you like the Orchid. Will you hear it before the mods?

Michael

Yes.  I am planning on keeping it until the spring and then shipping out.  We have closed on our new house and are currently doing some renovations before moving in.  B/c of the kids, my stereo went into storage about 3 years ago so I wanted to hold onto the DAC for a little while to try and dial it in the new space.