Gaia feet

abomwell

Gaia feet
« on: 8 Jan 2022, 06:31 pm »
I just ordered a set of Gaia II feet for the X5's that will arrive today.
I'm not sure how to remove the stock feet on the speakers. It looks like they are held on from the top by a bolt that needs an allen wrench to remove. Is that correct? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Al.

Mariusz Uszynski

Re: Gaia feet
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2022, 07:32 pm »
Cogratulations Al, you'll love them.Just one question, judging by the pictures in your gallery, your floor has carpet.Did you get carpets discs?
Also, make sure you follow the instruction, the IsoAcoustics logo has to be lined up with the speakers.

abomwell

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2022, 08:11 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Yup, ordered the carpet spikes too. How do I remove the stock feet from the X5's. Allen wrench?

Onadifferentnote

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2022, 08:12 pm »
I just ordered a set of Gaia II feet for the X5's that will arrive today.
I'm not sure how to remove the stock feet on the speakers. It looks like they are held on from the top by a bolt that needs an allen wrench to remove. Is that correct? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Al.

What is the size of the threads in the X3/5?
Many thanks.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2022, 11:29 pm »
When I ordered my X3s, I told Clayton I bought the GAIA IIs.  He shipped my speakers with a package of bolts that work with the GAIA II.  Yes, I needed an allen wrench to install the bolts.  I can't say if the bolts you have are the same ones Clayton sent to me for the GAIA IIs.  I also use the carpet spikes.  They work great.  I tipped my speakers and laid each one down on its side.  Then, I went to work installing the GAIA IIs.  Once the speakers were back upright, my wife tipped each speaker enough to put the spikes on.  Double check tightness and logo facing forward or backward then lower the speaker and spikes in to the carpet.

Marcus

abomwell

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2022, 11:37 pm »
I installed the feet and spikes but the carpet is too thick for the spikes so the speakers wobble significantly with or without the discs. I don't think Gaia makes discs with longer spikes so I'll build a wooden base, mount the original long spikes under it, and put the speakers with the Gaia feet on top. That should work right?

Many thanks!
Al

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2022, 12:06 am »
Good job building the base and using original spikes.You have saved about $150?

doggie

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2022, 01:59 pm »
Double check tightness and logo facing forward or backward then lower the speaker and spikes in to the carpet.

Does anyone know why IsoAcoustics recommends that the logo needs to be aligned in a certain way?

I read their recommendation but it was not too specific about how that might work.

I am curious about the design.

ric

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2022, 02:18 pm »
I believe it has to do with the to and fro motion, maybe less about the lateral movement. I have Gaia's and oddly when I first got them the sound was horrible, then I decoupled the suction cup bottoms and wow, sounded great! I emailed Iso and they did not know why I heard what I heard. Might have something to do with my floating floor over concrete.

doggie

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2022, 07:36 pm »
I realigned the feet to follow their instructions this morning. It might be just expectation bias but the difference did not seem subtle...in a good way.

I imagine that incorrectly installing them could have made things worse than not having them at all.

Aligning them properly was like getting new glasses to correct an astigmatism...
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2022, 06:32 pm by doggie »

geerock

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2022, 09:43 pm »
I installed the feet and spikes but the carpet is too thick for the spikes so the speakers wobble significantly with or without the discs. I don't think Gaia makes discs with longer spikes so I'll build a wooden base, mount the original long spikes under it, and put the speakers with the Gaia feet on top. That should work right?

Many thanks!
Al
Just be advised on the design of the carpet spikes.  They are made to provide a stable platform for the Gaia's to work correctly.  The discs are made to prevent the speakers from sliding or moving out of place.  They are not meant to go through the carpet and padding all the way to the floor.  Because now you are actually doing de-coupling with the Gaia's, and then coupling to the substrate hard floor using the spikes.  Just an FYI.

abomwell

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2022, 09:49 pm »
Just be advised on the design of the carpet spikes.  They are made to provide a stable platform for the Gaia's to work correctly.  The discs are made to prevent the speakers from sliding or moving out of place.  They are not meant to go through the carpet and padding all the way to the floor.  Because now you are actually doing de-coupling with the Gaia's, and then coupling to the substrate hard floor using the spikes.  Just an FYI.

I didn't realize that, geerock! But it can't be good to have the speakers significantly wobbly on the carpet with or without the carpet discs. That will really negatively affect the bass, will it not?

geerock

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2022, 10:43 pm »
I didn't realize that, geerock! But it can't be good to have the speakers significantly wobbly on the carpet with or without the carpet discs. That will really negatively affect the bass, will it not?
Oh, it definitely will but I think you need to spend more time adjusting the feet....kind of like a refrigerator or washer. 

abomwell

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2022, 12:14 am »
Thanks, I'll do that.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2022, 01:08 am »
Yes.  I have my X3s on GAIA IIs with carpet spikes.  The speakers are very steady.  I made sure the feet were tightly bolted with the logo facing forward.  Then, my wife tilted the speaker to the side enough for me to get the spikes on the feet.  I had to hold the spikes to the feet (they would not adhere strongly enough) as my wife lowered the speaker.  Then, I checked to make sure the feet were centered in to the spike cup.  Yeah, it was a pain.  But, my speakers do not wobble.

Marcus

abomwell

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2022, 07:48 pm »
I called IsoAcoustics and spoke with a very helpful person who suggested I put a slab of marble or butcher block under the feet  (not using the carpet discs of course) saying a number of customers have had success doing so. Not having either on hand I tried an 18" square of heavy porcelain floor tile which I had around and it works beautifully! The tile is quite stable on the carpet. And the tile even matches and blends with the carpet.

The person also made a point of saying the Gaia feet are designed to have some give to them and cautioned me not to confuse that with a wobble caused by an unstable base on which they are sitting. The speakers do have a bit of to and fro movement but the tile seems stationary so it is working correctly. I believe the addition of the feet have improved music's articulation somewhat. My initial reaction is that music sounds a bit clearer and crisper. Nice!!

JazzGMster

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2022, 03:03 pm »
I love them on my X5's as well.  One thing I noticed immediately, as have some others, is that right away, it may sound as though you have lost some bass.  For me, it was a bit of an odd moment or two.  The sound signature was very different. Soundstage opened up but more than that, they sounded different in the room.  I recalled reading that you should "feel" the way the speakers (without the GAIAs) resonate by standing next to them, especially if they are on a hardwood or non-solid floor.  Then do that with the new feet and you will notice that the bass especially is now being delivered less through the floor and more through the drivers to your ears.  In my case, it was quite startling and made me feel a lot better about how much money I spent on a tweak :)

dpatters

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2022, 04:40 pm »
For those with thick carpet you may want to consider the Track Point footers. They have more fine adjustment capability than the Gaia footers but are considerably more expensive.

Don P.

Mr. Big

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jan 2022, 08:17 pm »
I love them on my X5's as well.  One thing I noticed immediately, as have some others, is that right away, it may sound as though you have lost some bass.  For me, it was a bit of an odd moment or two.  The sound signature was very different. Soundstage opened up but more than that, they sounded different in the room.  I recalled reading that you should "feel" the way the speakers (without the GAIAs) resonate by standing next to them, especially if they are on a hardwood or non-solid floor.  Then do that with the new feet and you will notice that the bass especially is now being delivered less through the floor and more through the drivers to your ears.  In my case, it was quite startling and made me feel a lot better about how much money I spent on a tweak :)

You should not lose the impact or dynamics or body of the bass and the mid-bass and body in the midrange. That is the beauty of the design.

abomwell

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jan 2022, 11:20 pm »
i built a base from 3/4" plywood and used three speaker spikes that penetrated through both the carpet and pad so that the spikes are firm to the concrete below. The spikes are configured in a triangle so they act like a tripod giving a solid and wobble free base for the X5's with the Gaila II feet. I'm very pleased with the improvement to the bass as it has tightened up somewhat.