Please Allow me to Introduce myself…

MandrewsA

Please Allow me to Introduce myself…
« on: 28 Sep 2021, 11:45 pm »
Hello, folks. I’m Mark.
About to Retire, Moving/Downsizing, and building my first Audiophile System in 40 years. So, Big Changes afoot. I have an outdated electronics background, which to a modest extent helps me research the new system, but I have no point of reference wrt Streaming, so that has been the biggest challenge; the various formats/protocols/software limitations & compatibility issues are daunting, but would be overwhelming if not for forums such as this. I am just now starting to feel that I know what I don’t know, so am at the “fool and his money are soon parted” stage. Last system was LaScalas driven by Carver Cubes, with a Technics Linear Turntable. This must be how Rip Van Winkle felt upon awakening…wish me luck!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Please Allow me to Introduce myself…
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2021, 12:27 am »
Welcome Mark  :thumb:
The Carver Cubes were historic amps from Bob.

franSSS

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2021, 07:37 am »

Welcome!

Lots of information here. Plus the guys are truly helpful in many ways.

I think one of the biggest problems is trial and error. Unless; you like that way.
I still have not heard the system I bought. Z10 + amber + anticables+ m4 combo. However the same combo with the m3 was judged a couple of times "best sound on Show" So depending what your budget is it may be worthwhile to drive out to LTA and sit down and do some critical listening. Perhaps it just may be a very good reference point to start off in any direction and Nicolas is very helpful to say the least. I opted to get this system blind since I do not feel like re-inventing the wheel. I bought numerous gear in quick succession (used). Great gear but i find synergy lacking. My two cents? Best to look for a system that has synergy already, one that a number of professionals recommend. Yeah Yeah, I know each ear is different. But it is only a starting point. Perhaps listen to a couple of those systems and then take it from there?
In addition after self-scrutiny I think some, well at least myself, like the idea that we build our own “wonderful system” by trial and error. And this gives us what basically no one else has. Well, this costs a lot of time and money in the end. Yes I know most will say otherwise, but if you listen closely you will pick up on this theme.
Also be careful not to get too big a system for your room. It doesn’t make sense to drive a Ferrari at 2 miles per hour on a pavement. Bigger is not always better esp in small rooms.

Once again WELCOME!!! Looking forward to sharing your journey in this quest of yours. :popcorn:

MandrewsA

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2021, 01:27 pm »
Thanks, FranSSS. I appreciate your advice about Trial & Error, and demoing system components as much as possible. I’m finding the Learning Ramp from Zero to Enlightenment for Streaming to be particularly off—putting, but happily I won’t even be able to start ordering components for 3 months or so.
Cheers!

MandrewsA

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2021, 01:47 pm »
Egads, it seems I neglected to post my initial System plans. Here goes:
- Whatever Music Server makes sense (Baetis Rev. 3X, maybe)
- Holo May KTE DAC
- Holo Serene KTE preamp
- AGD Audion amps
- Spatial Audio Lab X3 or X5 (room dimensions suggest X5)
- Scads of Acoustical Treatments
I would almost prefer to sub the AGD Andante Streamer/DAC/Pre for the Holo equipment, to keep all componentry North American, but the only reviews I can find for the Andante are crammed into raves for the AGD Audion/Vivace/Gran Vivace, wherein the Andante gets lip service ( cue Monty Python “Oh, yes. Very Nice”). If I can find more info, or get lucky enough to actually *hear* one, maybe I’ll go that route. I know the Holo Audio gear is good, though.
Believe me, any suggestions, particularly wrt a Music Server with the chops to handle Roon/HQPlayer/Focus Fidelity would be very welcome.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2021, 02:00 pm »
Welcome!

Love finding audio cavemen such as yourself.  Loudspeakers are the most important component and the most dependent upon other components so pick them first.  But first take a step backwards and determine your room size because large loudspeakers can overwhelm a small room.  Take a broad selection of your favorite music when auditioning including some that's poorly recorded so the new loudspeakers don't ruin your enjoyment of portions of your library.  Take notes to fight fleeting aural memory and limit yourself to 3 or 4 loudspeakers per day to fight aural fatigue.  Loudspeaker design follows your acoustic priorities, keep in mind that there is no perfect loudspeaker.  Take your time and have fun.

Next most important component is the room.  Recommend reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction".  He's a very well respected acoustician.  He recommends using 3 or 4 subwoofers to combat inherent in-room bass peaks/dips and avoiding small/squarish rooms.  My basement room follows the Fibonacci ratios (8ft x 13ft x 21ft), is well insulated, and is dedicated to me.  We built a house before I retired so the room was relatively easy and cheap. 

Next find a power amp that matches the demands of your loudspeaker and room.  Then decide what sort of source(s) you want.  Streaming opens the world of music choices up to you and once setup is uber convenient.  Vinyl is for very hands on, hobbyist types akin to tube amp lovers.   CD's are an in-between choice and nowadays can be ripped to a computer to be a mini-streaming of sorts option.

A relatively new stereo option is "smart" active monitors, all in one components.  KEF LS50 wireless and Buchardt A500 are two popular choices.  They have power amps, pre-amps, digital-analog converters, etc. all built-in.  No wires to buy, no fussing about component synergy to worry about, minimal spatial/aesthetic impact to the room.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2021, 02:07 pm »
Welcome!  I just had a Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator upgraded/updated which I use in a secondary system.  Old stuff is not bad.

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2021, 04:03 pm »
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul to waste

or for the younger crowd....

My name is Humpty, pronounced with a “umpty”

Sorry, couldn't resist continuing from your opening line.  :lol:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2021, 07:01 pm »
Egads, it seems I neglected to post my initial System plans. Here goes:
- Whatever Music Server makes sense (Baetis Rev. 3X, maybe)
- Holo May KTE DAC
- Holo Serene KTE preamp
- AGD Audion amps
- Spatial Audio Lab X3 or X5 (room dimensions suggest X5)
- Scads of Acoustical Treatments
I would almost prefer to sub the AGD Andante Streamer/DAC/Pre for the Holo equipment, to keep all componentry North American, but the only reviews I can find for the Andante are crammed into raves for the AGD Audion/Vivace/Gran Vivace, wherein the Andante gets lip service ( cue Monty Python “Oh, yes. Very Nice”). If I can find more info, or get lucky enough to actually *hear* one, maybe I’ll go that route. I know the Holo Audio gear is good, though.
Believe me, any suggestions, particularly wrt a Music Server with the chops to handle Roon/HQPlayer/Focus Fidelity would be very welcome.

Wow!  That's a great system you are putting together there.  You have done your homework.

dallaire1

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2021, 09:52 pm »
I was in the same boat Mark. Got out of audio for a few years, got super busy with a couple remodels that took all my time and then some. Getting back into the market can be a bit daunting, so to speak.. Regarding streaming, I literally spent probably 40hrs. of research on the subject alone because I never was introduced to it before. I just ended up using YouTube to get me familiarized with the way it all works, huge help. Also the guys here can point you in the right direction for sure.

If you do end up signing up for a streaming service, don't make the mistake I did by going with "Tidal" ! Qobuz, as I just learned is the only way to go for streaming. No compression on any of their stuff unlike Tidal. I have both right now and have done many A/B comparisons and there is no comparison to Qobuz.

Enjoy the process and don't be in a hurry, buyers remorse sucks.   

geerock

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2021, 11:54 pm »
Dallaire1
I was originally with Tidal integrated with Roon.  Went to Qobuz with Roon now and it is for me a nice change but nothing stunning.  Some tunes seem better in Tidal.  Some Qobuz.  I know without Roon that Qobuz seemed to beat Tidal and is lesser cost, but with all the features and up sampling and user adjustable filters in Roon they are pretty close.....at least for me.

Mark,
I also just in the last couple years went with streaming as I had no idea where to start.  I went with a Small Green Computer which automatically handles Roon.  The guys there set me up remotely after the purchase and I was streaming that night.  And it is a large difference in quality to CD quality music.  I find myself listening to music almost every night.  There are so many pieces of equipment out there now that stream and are probably even easier to use as streaming has really taken hold.  Good luck on your quest.  I'm sure you'll find a company with great streaming capabilities that will be happy to walk you thru everything.  Jump right in.....the water is fine.
All the best to you.

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2021, 12:09 am »
I would check and consider Pass Labs or First Watt, I own both, Pass xa25 stereo amp. And FW F4, and both are superb with my Spatials M4 TM

dallaire1

« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2021, 12:25 am »
Hey Geerock, I didn't know Roon had that capabilities, pretty cool. I have heard a ton about it just didn't want to take on another monthly expense at the time. Perhaps I'll revisit it, obviously has more functions than I initially thought.

Regarding Tidal, you are correct about a lot of the recordings it's just that for me now, most of them all sound at least CD quality. I couldn't say that about a lot of Tidal recordings. Just my 2 cents anyway..