A great visit

roadkingraw

A great visit
« on: 3 Feb 2013, 05:13 pm »
I had the opportunity to go and visit Mr. Hinkley at his shop yesterday so I could hear a pair of Athenas.  My points of reference for listening were from my past:  PSB Stratus Silvers, Dunlavy SCIII, Gallo 3.1, Gallo 3.5 and my current Acoustic Zen Adagios.  Let me just start out by saying the woodworking that he puts into each and every product is beyond words.  These speakers are things of beauty.  But of course, with everything audio, how did they sound?  In a word "Amazing".  I was stunned at how these speakers absolutely disappeared.  And with the appologies from Mr Hinkley on using a $500 dac on the front end I could hardley believe the music coming from these magnificent works of art!  I can only imagine what they would sound like using a state of the art dac, player or turntable.  Oh wait.....I will be hearing it.  You see, I placed an order for a pair of the Athenas and then drove home with a huge smile on my face.  Now the difficult part:  waiting two months for them to be made!

Mr Hinkley, a very big Thank You for taking the time with me at your shop on a Saturday.  It was well worth the drive!
Randy Wilson

vinyl_lady

Re: A great visit
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2013, 05:56 pm »
Randy,

Welcome to the growing circle of Daedalus owners. You will not be disappointed. I have been fortunate to be in Lou's shop on several occasions and everythhing you relate is true. I have also heard his set up at his home and at every RMAF since 2005. Lou is an artist, a builder of great speakers, but most importantly, a great guy. Congratulations!

Laura

audiogoober

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2013, 04:28 pm »
I had a chance to visit Lou at his shop in November and was very impressed. A first class gentleman for sure. We rocked his shop and I ordered a pair of Ulysses. Thanks Lou!

figcon

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:35 am »
Congratulations guys. Good choices.

I've owned three pair of Daedalus speakers now, two pair of Ulysses and a pair of DA1's and I love them. I would own them if they were ugly, based on sound quality, but fortunately they are beautiful to look at, as well.  I am listening to Luka Bloom as I write this and feel like he is here with me.

I own and operate an AV company in Asheville, NC and could own just about any speaker I want and I have chosen Daedalus speakers. They do everything great and too many people miss out on them because they fly under the radar of the high end publications. Truly wonderful musical instruments.

Still nothing else like them on the market and those of us who just want to listen to music and pretend it is a real live experience happening in our listening  rooms, have Lou's speakers to take us there.

audiogoober

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:17 pm »
Thanks Figcon! This will be my second pair of Ulysses and I couldn't agree more with your statements. The Daedalus speakers are priceless in my opinion and should be priced much higher.

roadkingraw

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:13 pm »
Just a little bit of information I left out regarding the visit as I did not want to cause a problem with anyone.  Lou has assured me that any orders on his speakers that were placed before mine and not completed will be put on hold until mine are completed.  That is the advantage of visiting him in the shop and something he does not publicly let be known! 

Hahahahahahahahahaha  Just kidding! 

audiogoober

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:25 pm »
Just a little bit of information I left out regarding the visit as I did not want to cause a problem with anyone.  Lou has assured me that any orders on his speakers that were placed before mine and not completed will be put on hold until mine are completed.  That is the advantage of visiting him in the shop and something he does not publicly let be known! 

Hahahahahahahahahaha  Just kidding!
:thumb:

jimhar

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2013, 02:55 pm »
I will respond that I have owned a pair of his Ulysses speakers for about a year and they were so good that I had Lou make a matching center speaker for my combo 5.1  and 2.0 system. I will just echo that they do produce a realistic sound stage with the right high end electronics. Just make sure that quality hook up cables are used, as the speakers are quite sensitive to loading issues. Overall, Lou's speakers deliver on the quality of sound and of course the looks.

roadkingraw

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2013, 07:33 pm »
Well I think the Modwright 150SE, LS100, Sony 5400 (Modwright), Music Hall MMF 9.1 with Ortofon Black cartridge along with Acoustic Zen or Z Cable cabling will be up to the task.  If not, I am screwed!
Randy

vinyl_lady

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2013, 08:35 pm »
you will be just fine

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2013, 08:52 pm »
it is always a pleasure top have visitors to the little ole wood shop, and it is much better now that I have increased the shop space to about 4,000 SF!
 here is a pic of the old shop (about half the current space)

thanks much,
lou