Super V's 4 Sale (Canada)

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: Super V's 4 Sale (Canada)
« Reply #60 on: 16 Sep 2016, 06:46 pm »
What don't you like about the tweeter? For me it's more the slight loss of ultimate resolution in mid driver that would have me wander, but it's really minor when compared to the whole. 

Rocket Ronny

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #61 on: 16 Sep 2016, 07:01 pm »
What don't you like about the tweeter? For me it's more the slight loss of ultimate resolution in mid driver that would have me wander, but it's really minor when compared to the whole. 

Rocket Ronny

I like the resolution but I have had a hard time taming the highs in my system and it shows up on a lot of songs. Other speakers I've tried have not been as tipped up but were not as good either. I just don't think I have found the right combination of warmth and resolution yet. My system is highly detailed and crystal clear, pretty amazing really.

OzarkTom

« Reply #62 on: 16 Sep 2016, 07:12 pm »
I like the resolution but I have had a hard time taming the highs in my system and it shows up on a lot of songs. Other speakers I've tried have not been as tipped up but were not as good either. I just don't think I have found the right combination of warmth and resolution yet. My system is highly detailed and crystal clear, pretty amazing really.

Try the DAC cherry amps with the 36v power supplies. Very detailed and transparent and  smooth as silk.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #63 on: 16 Sep 2016, 07:18 pm »
I like the resolution but I have had a hard time taming the highs

Cables maybe, or try some digital e.q. if computer based.

Rocket Ronny

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #64 on: 16 Sep 2016, 07:41 pm »
Cables maybe, or try some digital e.q. if computer based.

Rocket Ronny
Try the DAC cherry amps with the 36v power supplies. Very detailed and transparent and  smooth as silk.

I have a new audiophile friend that is going to bring his Atmosphere M60MK3 mono amps over so I'll give them a try. Besides that I think the first thing I'm going to try is room treatment, I still don't have any in my new space. It isn't an issue at low volumes, just when I crank it up. I've read others with similar issues with the tweeter but not that often, so it must be addressable.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #65 on: 16 Sep 2016, 08:55 pm »
I would LOVE to hear what you think of the Atmospheres. I am betting a great combo.

I think what you are dealing with may be due to rear wave of the tweeter. I have the speakers about 7' out to the front of the drivers and have diffusion and absorption on the wall behind them. If your speakers are like 3' out and bare walls then that may be your problem.

Rocket Ronny

Philistine

« Reply #66 on: 16 Sep 2016, 09:01 pm »
I've tried a number of amps with the Super V's and never found them to be harsh/bright on the top end, in fact the opposite - having used Salk HT3's in the past I find the Super V tweeter not to be as resolving or having as much openness.  Neither is perfect - the Super V tweeter sounds more realistic, the ribbon tweeter in the HT3 sounds more artificial and harsher/brighter than the Super V tweeter...both have their strengths and weaknesses.  I still have the HT3's in a second system but find myself preferring the Super V system as, to me, it's musically more coherent and fun to listen to. 

The SET amp I used in the past, and deeply regret selling, was a Vaughn Carina.  I've used a Music Reference RM10, still have it, and currently using a pair of DAC Maraschino's.  As a recovered Audiphool I no longer get involved with swapping out components to do an A-B, I just stick something in and live with it for a few months to see if I can live with it.  I've settled on the Maraschino's so they must sound okay, they're also great value.  It should be fun trying out the Atmosphere's.

I'm using 2 DAC's - Chord 2QUTE and the DAC DAC, both sound very good.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #67 on: 16 Sep 2016, 10:29 pm »
Thanks to both of you for your thoughts... My speakers are 6' from the front wall to the face of the speakers, no treatments yet. Carpet for the front 2/3rds and bamboo flooring for the back 1/3rd of the room. I think you may be right Ronny about the back of the tweeter bouncing off the front wall, like I said it's not a problem until I turn it up loud. I will give my thoughts on the Atmospheres, they are for sale so you never know.

Thanks Philistine for your amp input (no pun intended). I have only tried a few and Ozark Tom has also suggested the Maraschinos. I would really like to hear a SET amp some day with the Super V's but haven't had the opportunity yet. Very interesting your observations on the tweeter, I have tried several amps and found all of them to sound a bit bright on top? Just goes to show I don't have the right set up yet. I'm using a Mac Mini as a source and a Joule Electra MK11 SE preamp, that hasn't changed for a long time.

Thanks again for all the input, it's fun to hear others experience with the same speakers.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #68 on: 17 Sep 2016, 01:53 am »

I know I've brought it up before, but give Dave over at P.I. a call and ask if he would cryo your tweeter diaphragms.  He told me that when he compared the stock vs. cryo that the cryo smoothed them out compared to stock.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #69 on: 17 Sep 2016, 02:00 am »
Try MathAudio Room EQ with some measurements.  Try the normal mode of operation when you correct.  Free component for Foobar2000 use with file playback. 

Has worked very well here.