Easy way to Add auto on to older Amp?

kbuzz3

Easy way to Add auto on to older Amp?
« on: 2 Oct 2018, 01:21 pm »
Hi all.  My subwoofer amp/x-over does not have an uato on feature.  The manual switch is on the back and is a pain to get to in my set up.   Can anyone suggest an easy way to add an auto on feature so i can get it to turn on when my yamaha avr is turned on. This AVR does not have any power inputs but does have a 12V trigger out jack. 

Would i just buy this https://www.adafruit.com/product/2935#tutorials   And hook up a 3.5 mini cord from the avr trigger out to this strip?

Or if anyone has any suggestions due to more recent products id appreciate it. Some kind of smart plug or auto on strip maybe (NON-DYI)
Maybe some kind of auto on off power strip that I could plug the AVR into and then would turn everything on when the avr is activated?
Link this https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protector-Right-Angle-TLP808NETG/dp/B003A7P262/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

thanks

yamaha626

Re: Easy way to Add auto on to older Amp?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2018, 01:30 pm »
Your description is kinda light on details, but if I were in your shoes, I would just leave the sub "On" all the time

kbuzz3

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2018, 02:00 pm »
To add more details.  I run a yamaha avr with a simple 3.1 system. the sub is powered by a TBI sub amp and cross over which has the power switch on the rear and is diffcult to turn on and off.  I would normally just leave it powered on, but i had to have the amp; repaired a few years ago after leaving it on continuously.

So i would just like the sub amp to switch on when i turn on the avr.   I would put everything in a manual power strip and turn it off manually but my kids would forget and leave it on..

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2018, 05:13 pm »

kbuzz3

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2018, 11:38 pm »
Thanks Phil.   That looks interesting
Maybe I should just get a rack mounted styled conditioner, plug everything into it and turn the whole thing on and off manually