Can you integrate a tube pre-amp w/o HT bypass into a HT system

kbuzz3

I know this topic has been covered before but couldn’t find anything in a search.  I have an older unused tube pre amp. Is it possible to integrate this with a 7.1 reciever for two channel or 2.1 listening.  The tube pre amp does not have Home theater bypass.  I certainly have an extra  two channels of power available on the AVR. 
As a starting point would I need the avr to have opreamp outputs?  But after that I have no idea

Any thoughts appreciated...

John Casler

I know this topic has been covered before but couldn’t find anything in a search.  I have an older unused tube pre amp. Is it possible to integrate this with a 7.1 reciever for two channel or 2.1 listening.  The tube pre amp does not have Home theater bypass.  I certainly have an extra  two channels of power available on the AVR. 
As a starting point would I need the avr to have opreamp outputs?  But after that I have no idea

Any thoughts appreciated...

Yes, the only channels to be concerned with are the L&R Front Channels.

Hook-up would look like this:

AVR L&R RCA/ANALOG Output > TUBE Preamp L&R RCA/ANALOG Input.

Then when Setting up HT, Turn Tube Preamp Volume Control up quite high (at least 3/4 volume) and run your AVR Set up program for volume of channels.

Then each time you wish to use the HT, make sure the Tube Preamp Volume Control is set to that EXACT SAME level.

CAUTION, when you go back to 2 channel use MAKE SURE and set the Tube Volume Control back Down BEFORE changing to the other inputs.

If you are trying to use the on board amps of the AVR, then you will need to do it differently, and I might question WHY?

kbuzz3

Thanks John,,,

who?me?

Perhaps i dont fully understand the OPs concern.
You want to use the Tube preAmp in your chain AFTER your AVR?

Does your AV amp have a "preAmp in"? if so, why not use that?

WGH

Is it possible to integrate this with a 7.1 reciever for two channel or 2.1 listening.

That is how my set-up works, both 2 channel and home theater without HT bypass

#1 pre-amp input --> turntable
#2 pre-amp input --> digital
#3 pre-amp input --> L & R outputs from AVR, volume turned up halfway, like John said: "MAKE SURE and set the Tube Volume Control back Down BEFORE changing to the other inputs."

I use an Outlaw 975 which has the same functions as an AVR but without the amps. I have two Van Alstine amps, a Synergy 450 for stereo + L & R AVR and a 3 channel amp for the home theater center and rear speakers, I haven't gone 7 channel. The Outlaw and 3 channel amp is off for music listening.

GregC

Another option is to have a switch box with two sets of inputs and a single output.  The L/R output from the preamp goes to one input.  The L/R output from the HT processor goes to the other input.  The output from the switch box goes to your amps.  You select the appropriate input for either HT or preamp.

This allows you to use the front speakers for either HT or preamp without having to turn on the preamp to use your HT setup.