Trying to restart my Audio interests after 15 years

hifiguy

Trying to restart my Audio interests after 15 years
« on: 20 Apr 2019, 06:07 pm »
Can anyone recommend where I can go to read coherence in the Audio publications world?

I have been off and after a 15 year sabbatical re-entry is amazingly difficult to see the truths again with all the new advancements.

TAC, PWK, and ARC all figured into what I read, was told, and what I subsequently experienced.

Can anyone recommend a good new current and accurate written resource to educate myself about the lost 15 years - especially regarding traceable reasons for the observations?

Thanks - HFG

srb

Re: Trying to restart my Audio interests after 15 years
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2019, 07:17 pm »

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2019, 08:26 pm »
If you are thinking about digital, there are several paths, most involving DACs (digital to analog converters):

1) computer or music server outputting USB to a DAC

2) computer or music server to USB converter and then S/PDIF coax to a DAC (for DACs with no USB input)

2) Sonos followed by a reclocker like the Synchro-Mesh and then S/PDIF coax to a DAC  (cheapest way to great sound quality and you can stream form the internet or play locally stored tracks) Limited to 44.1 sample-rate (CD quality)

3) Ethernet to a renderer to a DAC. Connects to your router

4) All-in one system like a Sony HAP Z1-es with analog outputs (left and right channel)

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2019, 09:06 pm »
Once in a while a young man asks me advise as to how to go about learning to be a woodworker. My suggestion is to go on eBay and buy all the back issues of Fine Woodworking Magazine and start at issue #1, after about 100 issues you will understand.

Same with audio, go on eBay and start with Stereophile Vol. 27 - 2004, 12 issues for $10, read them all then move on to Vol. 28 and so on. After 180 issues you will be up to speed with a deep understanding and traceable reasons for current observations. John Atkinson's evolving understanding of the measurements he takes is quite interesting.

50 Years an Audiophile: John Atkinson's Life In Audio
https://www.stereophile.com/content/50-years-audiophile-john-atkinsons-life-audio

We'll wait.............

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2019, 09:11 pm »

Guys, I may be wrong but I think SRB’s tongue-in-cheek response was meant to point out that this thread was started in the wrong circle:

“The Karma Circle is a place where you can offer up extra audio-related items to your fellow AC Members.
Whoever starts the Karma can set the rules for that particular Karma - must have X number of posts, must offer up the next Karma or whatever.”

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2019, 09:43 pm »
Guys, I may be wrong but I think SRB’s tongue-in-cheek response was meant to point out that this thread was started in the wrong circle:

“The Karma Circle is a place where you can offer up extra audio-related items to your fellow AC Members.
Whoever starts the Karma can set the rules for that particular Karma - must have X number of posts, must offer up the next Karma or whatever.”

At this point it looks like SRB wins the opportunity to tutor hifiguy, congrats!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2019, 11:28 pm »
Crud, I was going to pick 13, too.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2019, 02:25 pm »
If you're going to get into digital audio perhaps this may have some helpful basic info - http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2019, 02:57 pm »
You can start very simple. If you have an Amazon Echo Dot, hook that up to your present system and stream Amazon music. Have Alexa play your music.

I owned a Sony Hap-Z1ES for four years and loved it. The Bluesound Node 2i sounds  better with more features and is $499. And you can now use Alexa on the Bluesound.

hifiguy

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2019, 08:48 am »
Thanks for the responses.

Still hoping for more ....

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2019, 12:03 pm »
As little has fundamentally changed in speakers, vinyl, or wiring I'll assume your looking for help with digital.

CD quality (also called Redbook) is still the most popular format among audiophiles, but you wouldn't know it by looking on the internet.  Most audiophiles pooh pooh anything less, but they take less memory so work great for portable devices.  The truth is very little music has been mastered in high resolution (hi-res), draw your own conclusions if that makes sense.  Hi-res comes in varieties of PCM and DSD formats.  PCM is simply extension of the CD technology and DSD comes from SACD.  Hi-res is harder to find and more expensive.

With CD sales nearly dead, digital music is delivered via internet, thus interest in higher speed service.  Streaming has gotten very popular for lower resolution formats (MP3) and in the last couple of years CD and hi-res too.  Tidal is the most popular CD quality streaming service in the U.S.  As always there's debate here in audio, if streaming can sound as good as ripped files (copying physical discs). 

Digital to analog conversion now has 3 methods:  R2R (the original but lost popularity), delta-sigma (by far the most popular), and FPGA (field programmable gate array that is the most rare). R2R is considered by many to be a purist approach.  Delta-sigma is the cheapest to make.  FPGA allows the sound to be programmed by the builder of the piece, not by the chip maker, and in a few cases the vendor has issued firmware updates.

With digital primarily in files the CD player/transport is nearly dead, so you'd need to either stream everything or put your music on a hard drive (HD) or solid state drive (SSD) located in a dedicated device or outboard.  A wide variety of devices can serve these functions.  Terminology is one of the big hurdles when trying to get into this as the terms seemingly get interchanged depending on the individual and/or vendor.

Chromecast is the smallest (size of a $1 coin)/cheapest (~$35) streamer/DAC (digital to analog converter).  The Node 2i (streamer/DAC) mentioned above ($500) can also be bought with storage (additional $$), so you can download music and save it.  The Sony HAP Z1-es is a more expensive option to the Nodi 2i.  Of course you can use your computer to do the same, but there are many arguments that sound quality improves with a dedicated device (some dedicate a desktop computer, the Apple mini is a popular choice).  Many purpose built servers (internet connected with file storage) are available with prices typically starting around $2000 and it which a separate DAC would be needed. 

How to best transmit digital signals from a server to a DAC is another field of contention.  Optical SPDIF (also called Toslink) has theoretical advantages but usually poorly executed.  Coax SPDIF is another older technology.  USB is popular only because it's popular with computers, but was never designed for music.  AES/EBU is a studio standard, but not recognized as particularly good and rather rare in audiophile gear.  Ethernet is nearly ideal but few DACs accept it.  I2S is derived from HDMI and many consider it the best, but no standard exist for pin assignments and again is rare to find a DAC that accepts it. 

Then there is the need to consider which software to use in your server.  Many come with their own, but usability varies.  Roon is becoming nearly a de facto standard, it integrates Tidal with your local library and offers lots of meta data (album covers, jacket information) but is expensive.  JRiver, Audirvana, and Amarra are just some of the other more currently popular options.  Each has a different sound and user interface.

So lots to learn.   :o

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2019, 03:32 pm »
Hifiguy,

My break from serious audiofoolery lasted 25 or more years. Then, about 6 years ago, I 'woke up' and realized my TV sounded horrible. This realization coincided with changes to my hearing as I entered my fifties. I had no idea what a 'DAC' was. It took me a while to grok it.

Rather than pouring over dozens (or hundreds) of publications, I began searching online for information. If I recall correctly, I first found Audio Karma and began reading threads that seemed interesting. AK wasn't a perfect fit however, so I kept searching. That's when I stumbled upon posts by a manufacturer who was (still is) an AC member. I quickly discovered a treasure trove of information here. I poured over every topic that caught my eye. The more I read, the more I wanted to learn. From AC, I 'discovered' Head-fi.org and Computer Audiophile. I poured over threads in those sites, but AC felt most like home to me, so I kept coming back. Throughout all my research, I asked questions.

By the Spring of 2014, I was hooked again (after my long break). I flew to Chicago to spend three amazing days at AXPONA. I was mesmerized. I also couldn't afford (or refused to allow myself to spend so much) 3/4 of the equipment.  :duh: As I progressed and began adding components, I persuaded myself <and my wonderfully patient and forgiving wife> that I could spend more on better sounding equipment.

I guess that's all I have to say. Sure, paper magazines have their attraction, but the vast majority of my learning came from reading online threads and pestering posters for ever more information. Ask questions. Be patient - don't jump on the first pair of awesome speakers you hear. Check out all the dealers in your area. Ask AC (or other sites') members for in-home auditions. You're welcome to come to my home (in Oregon) to listen to my systems.

Have fun and enjoy your journey. I haven't had so much fun in decades.

Michael

Jon L

« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2019, 04:16 pm »
If I were to start from scratch today....

I would get rid of as many components, cables, tweaks, and magic potions as possible, and go with quality powered speakers and a good DAC.  Something like the Elac Navis ARB-51 or Edifier s3000 Pro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYlSV-knU0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxuYSqCgqTY
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2019, 05:55 pm by Jon L »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2019, 08:02 pm »
If I were to start from scratch today....

I would get rid of as many components, cables, tweaks, and magic potions as possible, and go with quality powered speakers and a good DAC.  Something like the Elac Navis ARB-51 or Edifier s3000 Pro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYlSV-knU0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxuYSqCgqTY

That's what I've done:  JBL 708P active monitors; PS Audio DirectStream Junior DAC/pre; Apple mini for streaming/local library; plus 3 subs

OzarkTom

« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2019, 08:24 pm »
If you have good hearing now, do not play your system over 80-85db. Your hearing is the most important part in this audio world. Some on here are wearing hearing aids because they have played their systems way too loud over the years.

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2019, 09:29 pm »

That's what I've done:  JBL 708P active monitors; PS Audio DirectStream Junior DAC/pre; Apple mini for streaming/local library; plus 3 subs

That is now considered old school, all the OP needs is a KEF LSX wireless loudspeaker system for $1099: DAC, streamer, preamp, power amps, cables, speakers in one package and it's available in white, olive green, blue, maroon, or black.

All functions managed and controlled by two KEF apps (ipad, iphone): Control and Streaming
Direct streaming: WiFi, Bluetooth, Tidal, Apple AirPlay 2 (to come later in 2019 via a firmware update), Spotify Connect.
Inputs (Master): TosLink (optical), Ethernet (network), USB. Outputs: subwoofer (RCA), RJ45 (to Slave).

Review: https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-lsx-wireless-loudspeaker-system

2bigears

« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2019, 09:46 pm »
 :D. Good advice on keeping the vol down,, hearing aids aren't sexy at all.  I crank it loud sometimes,,,,not good.    Another thing is to not let your budget go to wild. Easy to do.  But for newer systems, there is good gear out there on a normal budget.  Check out VAC's preamp,, it's only 55 grand !!   I might buy two ,,,,ha :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2019, 10:06 pm »
That is now considered old school, all the OP needs is a KEF LSX wireless loudspeaker system for $1099: DAC, streamer, preamp, power amps, cables, speakers in one package and it's available in white, olive green, blue, maroon, or black.

All functions managed and controlled by two KEF apps (ipad, iphone): Control and Streaming
Direct streaming: WiFi, Bluetooth, Tidal, Apple AirPlay 2 (to come later in 2019 via a firmware update), Spotify Connect.
Inputs (Master): TosLink (optical), Ethernet (network), USB. Outputs: subwoofer (RCA), RJ45 (to Slave).

Review: https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-lsx-wireless-loudspeaker-system

Thanks to your article, I found out Gayle Sanders is also making a DSP speaker. At $25k, probably out of range for most here on AC.

https://eikonaudio.com/gallery

http://enjoythemusic.com/AXPONA_2018/preshow/Gayle_Sanders_Eikon.htm

2bigears

« Reply #19 on: 24 Apr 2019, 10:35 pm »
 :D. 25,000.00 bucks ????  Just for speakers ??  You do know we are in a recession ??   :D  :popcorn: