Magnepan Home Theater Speaker Reviews

AvsFan

Re: Magnepan Home Theater Speaker Reviews
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2020, 12:36 am »
My LRS pull double duty for 2ch and HT.  In both cases I cross them over at 80hz to a sub.  Sounds great!  :thumb:

Oh, one last thing. Are you running a center channel speaker or going phantom?
I am NOT using a center. Phantom is the way I roll and it's great! The Maggie's throw a massive stage across my 120inch screen and it stretches from top to bottom and way past the speakers left and right. Puts the audio on the screen where it's supposed to be. Pretty impressive.

Saturn94

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2020, 12:56 am »
Oh, one last thing. Are you running a center channel speaker or going phantom?
I am NOT using a center. Phantom is the way I roll and it's great! The Maggie's throw a massive stage across my 120inch screen and it stretches from top to bottom and way past the speakers left and right. Puts the audio on the screen where it's supposed to be. Pretty impressive.

I’m using a center, an NHT AudioCenter 2 (3 way design) in my 5.1 setup (also using NHTs for surrounds).  It works well with the LRS.

My screen is half the size of yours.  I still love my Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma. :thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2020, 01:03 am »
Yeah, that's awesome to hear! I am very happy with the LRS's in my theater room. Crossed at 80hz and set to small, my Pioneer has no problems powering them to very loud levels. The dual subs in my theater fill in the low end.

What subs are you running?

I use a single Power Sound Audio Triax sub (three 15” drivers in a sealed cabinet)

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/triax

I don’t have the space for multiple subs.  Fortunately, in my room (kind of irregular shape with cathedral ceiling), the single sub works quite well.

AvsFan

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2020, 01:17 am »
I use a single Power Sound Audio Triax sub (three 15” drivers in a sealed cabinet)

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/triax

I don’t have the space for multiple subs.  Fortunately, in my room (kind of irregular shape with cathedral ceiling), the single sub works quite well.

Damn! That's sick! I love PSA stuff. That looks like an expensive sub. Don't see it listed on their website anymore. I have two 10's, which are great subs, RSL Speedwoofer 10s.
And they do the job for the most part but I want to add two more 15 or 18" subs to really pressurize my room and get that bass you feel in your stomach! The RSL's you feel in your chest.

PSA is on my short list of subs.

Saturn94

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2020, 01:43 am »
Damn! That's sick! I love PSA stuff. That looks like an expensive sub. Don't see it listed on their website anymore. I have two 10's, which are great subs, RSL Speedwoofer 10s.
And they do the job for the most part but I want to add two more 15 or 18" subs to really pressurize my room and get that bass you feel in your stomach! The RSL's you feel in your chest.

PSA is on my short list of subs.

I bought the Triax in 2013.  They don’t offer it anymore.

I love it!  It’s smooth, tight, clean and effortless.  It can be very subtle and delicate, or shake your bones!

Yeah, it completely busted my budget, but I wanted something that I wouldn’t feel compelled to upgrade for many, many years.  I tend to buy carefully, and keep stuff a long time.

PSA is a great company with great products.  One of the founders, Tom V., was also a founder of SVS; he’s the V in SVS.  His customer service is second to none.

My first contact with Tom V. was a long time ago when he was still with SVS (a much smaller company then).  I was looking for a sub, but had never bought an audio component online before and was a bit unsure about it.  He said he understood my hesitation and offered to help me find a suitable sub locally and help me set it up properly.  Wow!  Who does that!?  That convinced me I could trust Tom V and ordered an SVS 16-46PC+ (vented cylinder design).

My apologies for straying a bit off topic.  :oops:

AvsFan

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2020, 04:59 am »
I bought the Triax in 2013.  They don’t offer it anymore.

I love it!  It’s smooth, tight, clean and effortless.  It can be very subtle and delicate, or shake your bones!

Yeah, it completely busted my budget, but I wanted something that I wouldn’t feel compelled to upgrade for many, many years.  I tend to buy carefully, and keep stuff a long time.

PSA is a great company with great products.  One of the founders, Tom V., was also a founder of SVS; he’s the V in SVS.  His customer service is second to none.

My first contact with Tom V. was a long time ago when he was still with SVS (a much smaller company then).  I was looking for a sub, but had never bought an audio component online before and was a bit unsure about it.  He said he understood my hesitation and offered to help me find a suitable sub locally and help me set it up properly.  Wow!  Who does that!?  That convinced me I could trust Tom V and ordered an SVS 16-46PC+ (vented cylinder design).

My apologies for straying a bit off topic.  :oops:

Great story about Tom. Yes, I know Tom. I’ve talked with him as well. Cool dude and great service and products. I have my own SVS story. I knew the “S” part of the SVS partnership. Ron Stimpson. He lived here in Colorado Springs and SVS had a tiny office downtown Colorado Springs. This was when they were real new. I got to know and become friends with Ron. He actually had me come to his house and pick up subs to demo right out of his own personal theater. Heck a lot of subs were one offs and prototypes. I wish I would have kept one. One of my first experiences was with one of their cylindrical subs too.  Do those were very good times.

And no worries about straying off subject a little. I like these conversations and stories. I’m learning to just go all out too and not keep wanting to upgrade. My next sub purchase will be in the $1500-$2000 range. Do it big and be done!

Saturn94

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jul 2020, 03:09 pm »
Great story about Tom. Yes, I know Tom. I’ve talked with him as well. Cool dude and great service and products. I have my own SVS story. I knew the “S” part of the SVS partnership. Ron Stimpson. He lived here in Colorado Springs and SVS had a tiny office downtown Colorado Springs. This was when they were real new. I got to know and become friends with Ron. He actually had me come to his house and pick up subs to demo right out of his own personal theater. Heck a lot of subs were one offs and prototypes. I wish I would have kept one. One of my first experiences was with one of their cylindrical subs too.  Do those were very good times.

And no worries about straying off subject a little. I like these conversations and stories. I’m learning to just go all out too and not keep wanting to upgrade. My next sub purchase will be in the $1500-$2000 range. Do it big and be done!

That’s so cool!  :thumb:

AvsFan

« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2021, 04:13 pm »
Man......Where are all of the Maggie theater owners????

My systems have all had major makeovers since I last posted here. But do need another pair of speakers. I have ZU's in the theater room as of now, but those are going on the living room system and thinking about going back to Maggie's for the theater room.

MarcL

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jun 2021, 01:23 pm »
Man......Where are all of the Maggie theater owners????

My systems have all had major makeovers since I last posted here. But do need another pair of speakers. I have ZU's in the theater room as of now, but those are going on the living room system and thinking about going back to Maggie's for the theater room.

Here's my current setup after adding the 77" LG.  Main L/R are in the Rooze configuration.  Atmos tops are MMGW front and Polk rear.

MarcL

« Reply #29 on: 14 Jun 2021, 01:24 pm »

Saturn94

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jun 2021, 03:53 pm »

Here's my current setup after adding the 77" LG.  Main L/R are in the Rooze configuration.  Atmos tops are MMGW front and Polk rear.

I hadn’t heard of that configuration so I did a quick search.  Am I correct it requires a symmetrical room, and that it wouldn’t work in a situation where you have a sidewall on one side but no sidewall, just open space, on the other side?

MarcL

« Reply #31 on: 22 Aug 2021, 06:06 pm »
Sorry I missed this back in June.

Yes, symmetry in both room geometry and side wall reflection are important.  At least in the area from the edge of the speakers closest to the front wall and out at least 6ft toward the listening position.