dedicated circuit(s) for listening room

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: dedicated circuit(s) for listening room
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2021, 11:25 pm »
................Another suggestion is isolate your 'audio circuits' on one down leg in breaker panel and have your electrician try and keep circuits that will be 'dirty' (dimmer lights, appliances, etc) on the other down leg.
While it's not very important in a residence, good engineering practice is to have half of the loads on one leg and half on the other.
10 AWG Romex® to a junction box in/near the room then break-out (10 or 12AWG) to the outlet boxes.
What is the benefit to a junction box rather than just running each circuit in series?
This allows you to 'Star' out from the junction box (maybe with 12AWG) rather than a 'daisy chain'.

Housteau

« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2021, 11:28 pm »
Not sure why folks want 2 lines. That means 2 power conditioners later on :roll:

I for one do not like to stack components, except for amps, between the speakers and prefer them on a side wall.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2021, 11:30 pm »
  May I suggest a sub-panel off the main panel using Siemens breakers for your dedicated lines. I would run lines directly to the duplex outlet to avoid more connections. Engineering wise good advice here. However hands on experience suggests 10ga [ I use 8ga ] for Amp line or lines and 12ga for analog and Digital. Very important to use separate lines for analog and digital in our experience. Have fun.
charles
While for a large home theater or huge power amps, run a feeder to a small 6 breaker box then the 20A breakers, but this thread is about two different rooms.
Splitting the amps, analog and digital is just another audiophile misunderstanding.

iowa

• Brennan B2>TDAI 1120>Sierra 1> T-Zero(2)
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2021, 11:51 pm »
Wow, there’s a lot to digest here. Thanks for all of the input.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2021, 11:53 pm »
Electrician dogma requires 20A circuit use 12ga wire. Good luck getting them to use 10ga especially if there's an inspection involved. But yes, it's legal and no, it won't make as big a difference as using JPS romex or even better using a power regenerator.
12AWG is the minimum size permitted in a 20A circuit. Some 20A circuit require larger than 12AWG.
I would stay far away from a regenerator!

A dedicated circuit implies a separate ground from the single outlet to the service panel, using the ground conductor in the romex. 
a] the Safety Ground is one conductor in the Romex®. A dedicated circuit DOES NOT implies a separate ground from the single outlet to the service panel.
A dedicated circuit is one where you have control of what loads are connected to it.

If you add another outlet to the circuit then it's not a dedicated circuit anymore, it's shared, and both outlets will use the same ground back to the panel.
NO, a dedicated circuit may have as many receptacles has you wish.

Two true dedicated circuits will require two separate lengths of romex back to the panel. This also violates electrician dogma and they will be hesitant to do it because it looks wasteful and stupid to the inspector. But it's legal of course.
A dedicated system can have a dedicated feeder to a small breaker box then several dedicted circuits.

If by "separate ground" you mean an additional earthing rod for audio system only, that technically does not meet the national electrical code. A building can only have one earthing rod for the sake of preventing a fire in case of a lightning strike.
This is vary, vary TRUE.
One building, one Earthing Rod system.

No matter how great the wire or using a dedicated line, the utility signal will still have clipping distortion (1-3% THD) because appliances that rectify the line to DC (electronics) only draw current at the voltage peaks. Only a power regenerator can fix that by regenerating the power from DC. It's a bigger improvement than a dedicated line, imo.
Good luck with your project!
Don't worry about utility THD,  your power amps are the biggest offenders not appliances.
Once again, stay away from regenerators.

Housteau

« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2021, 12:01 am »
Once again, stay away from regenerators.

Why is that?  I have not seen that advice before.  What harm can they potentially do?

emailtim

« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2021, 12:12 am »
Why is that?  I have not seen that advice before.  What harm can they potentially do?

+1 ^^^

The only thing I can think of is that they are "active", thus consume part of the available current.  Don't know of any other downsides other than cost.

I have read some unflattering things about the output from some solar inverters which would prevent me from putting expensive equipment on them, but assume the regenerators do a better job than the cheap inverters do.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2021, 01:22 am »
This post is totally incorrect.
You can use any permitted AWG sized cables in any order in a circuit.
For instance.   In a 15Amp circuit: 10AWG>>14AWG>>12AWG
The max number of permitted receptacles on a circuit only applies to commercial installations.
Actually, in my current county and past counties, I know for a fact this is true.

mikeeastman

« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2021, 12:57 pm »
I live off grid and my power is supplied by an inverter and I'll bet my power is cleaner than 99% of the power in this country. Now that maybe true for the cheap little inverters but any of the pure sine wave inverters designed to run a whole house put out very clean power.

Kreepin

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jun 2021, 12:02 pm »
Interesting thread. My home is going under a rehab soon and power for the AV wall is something I have been thinking about. I noticed a few brands make in wall cable specifically for audio applications. Has anyone tried any of these?
Another option I've been looking into is to use hospital grade wire and install code. I believe it's HCP MC cable. Anyone familiar with any electrical codes for this?