Name Change for the Apocalypse Sub.

scottpretti

Amp?
« Reply #20 on: 24 Feb 2003, 06:04 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin,

Will you be selling the modified Keiga amps, for us DIYers? I have to say, your intro price on the Apocalypse (oops) the PMD 15 (oops) what ever?  is a good deal.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #21 on: 24 Feb 2003, 08:49 pm »
Scott:

I responded to your post over at the other thread.  The bottom line answer is YES.

:)

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2003, 05:41 pm »
Sorry...what thread is that? I'd love details on the amp and mods/pricing.

Kevin P

« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2003, 06:27 pm »
I'll copy and re-post it here.

Yes... I think we will sell the modified Keiga for DIY purposes. For ported designs the stock unit with the rumble filter set high is a good idea. For our application it is not.

Also the EQ circuit will be applicable to our sealed enclosure only or one with the same internal volume. If you change the box volume your EQ needs change also.... but not by a large amount. You could get away with a 2.75cu. ft box and the same EQ circuit.

I'm also considering offering some other smaller subs. Something that would be about a 11-12" cube with a modified Brahma 10" driver would give plenty of output for most people's needs and be very high in WAF. We could add a PR for more output and keep it small. I'm really big on keeping the size small and keeping all the units we offer very musical so the PR approach would have to be designed with that in mind.

Price on the PMD 15" may even come in lower than the $1350..... we will have to see. The retail price of the driver is $499 and the retail on the stock Keiga amp is about $575 so you are getting the enclosure built and everything installed with the custom EQ solution on the amp for a very reasonable price.

Keep an eye on the site.... I'll release more news as we make progress on the product line.

I think we are going to sell the unmodified amp for $499.00 and we will have to see on the modified version.   The smaller subs will come if we have a good response to the 12" & 15" versions.    We should be able to use the same amp with perhaps a different EQ profile.

MaxCast

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2003, 06:29 pm »
Kevin,
How long is the naming contest going to last.  Should we come up with more names?

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2003, 10:48 pm »
Thanks, Kevin, sounds good.

I think we will sell the modified Keiga for DIY purposes. For ported designs the stock unit with the rumble filter set high is a good idea.

Hmm...for purposes of simulations, can you tell me the Q, order and F3/cutoff of the stock infrasonic filter?

Kevin P

« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2003, 11:14 pm »
MaxCast:  Until I announce a winner. :)

Jack:  Oh.... I don't know.  I had Dan measure it on his Liberty Instruments gear and we just took a quick look to see where the f3 was....  (about 17HZ).   I'd say the roll-off was about 2nd or 3rd order.  Estimate Q about .7 or there abouts.

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #27 on: 25 Feb 2003, 11:17 pm »
Cool...thanks again. :)

As far as the 12" version, how about the 12" XBL-motor driver Dan's using in the Sadhara?  :o

Kevin P

« Reply #28 on: 26 Feb 2003, 04:23 pm »
Jack:

Yes... that is pretty much the same driver, as we will use in the 12" version.  The cost of the driver is pretty close to that of the Tumult though so there isn't much cost savings.   I think for the $100 price difference most people will want the 15" version because the box size is the same.

I'd really like to release a 12" cube similar in dimensions to the Sunfire subs.  They don't have the macho appeal of some of the larger units but with Adire's driver technology and the availability of high power/high efficiency Class D plate amps we can now get a respectable amount of output from something that has very high WAF.   I think ultimately they would sell better than anything else we are cooking up because they could fit into so many rooms with such ease.

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2003, 01:16 am »
I'd love to find a truly kick-ass 12" passive radiator, that would allow some insane SPL's with the high-Vd woofers and the aforementioned high-power amps in small cabs.

Kevin P

« Reply #30 on: 27 Feb 2003, 08:43 pm »
Jack:

I'm talking with Wiggins about it.  Once they get their moving chores done with I'm going to put him and Dave to work on something.

Martice

I'll repost mine...
« Reply #31 on: 21 Mar 2003, 02:51 am »
I think the PMD's should be called the

DIY Cable E.M. or E.S. Subwoofer Series

(E.M. = Earth Mover)

or

(E.S. = Earth Shaker )

TSUNAMI 12" (pron. soo na mee)
(def. Japanese for a very large ocean wave caused by an underwater earthquake or volcanic eruption.)

SEISMOS 15" (pron. size mose)

(def. Greek for Earth Quake)

As far as the the 11" cube using the Brahma 10" Driver goes why not the name:

'TEMBLOR'  (pron. tem bl or)

(def. Latin meaning tremulous shaking)

Martice

Since no one else is posting...
« Reply #32 on: 21 Mar 2003, 01:37 pm »
While I'm on a roll..

How about DIY Cable's Seismic Series

Mighty Joe = 10" Brahma

Rodan = 12" sub

King Ghidora = 15" sub

These names are from the classic Japanese monster flicks of old. Although King Kong and Godzilla have been left off of the list, I think the above names get the point across quite well as all of them were beautiful to watch and hear but also destructive when pushed.

For the hell of it, look up the names and I'm sure you'll get a kick out of the photos and stories related to these wonderful but destructive monsters.

Martice

« Reply #33 on: 21 Mar 2003, 01:52 pm »
King Ghidora Link Below:

http://www.avia-art.com/godzillawebsite/gnco/ghidora.html

Rodan Link Below:

http://www.avia-art.com/godzillawebsite/gnco/rodan.html

Well I guess we all know about Mighty Joe Young so no need for a photo.

Al Garay

« Reply #34 on: 8 Apr 2003, 05:03 am »
How about:

* The BOSS
* The Chief
* The QB
* The Touchdown
* "The 010" or replace 010 with whatever the low end response ...
   so if it extends down to 15Hz, then The 015
* The Mastif ... for a dog theme, these are BIG, powerful, loyal dogs
* Big Cojones ... doubt your wife will approve... guys might
* El Padre ... staying with a spanish theme
* The Saint ... because you better pray that your wife doesn't kill you, before your neighbor's will or your house collapses
* El Fin ... better than saying The End since that's too close to Bag End

Al

sjd

« Reply #35 on: 28 Aug 2003, 07:25 pm »
Well, in the spirit of some of the other Adire names, and a nod to your daughter (whose college fund will come from this little gem of a sub)...I really like naming things after gods.

Appended is some Mayan stuff.  If not that, well there's the Hindu Ganesh and Vishnu (but someone's taken vishnu right?).  Or a whole pantheon of Roman gods (Greeks seem pretty zipped up in the audio world).  

From someone else's site:

According to Mayan legend Kulkulkan, the Plumed Serpant, (called Quetzalcoatl by the Toltecs and later the Aztecs) arrived in Central America in a boat from across the sea. The Mayans regarded him as the great organizer who founded cities, formulated laws and invented the Mayan calendar. The Aztecs revered him as a god of light. He was a bearded white man. Other Central American deities were Votan, a great civilizer who was white and bearded and Itzamana a pale skinned, bearded Mayan God of medicine. The Central American Indians did not have beards.

Seven and Thirteen are the sacred numbers of the Mayans, who prophesise the return of Quetzalcoatl/ Kukulkan ('feathered serpent') in 2012 (see discussion of End Time myths).

Having said all that, Kool-Kool-Can seems a better name for your headphone amp. ;)  And yes, these names don't roll off the tongue.  I would add that Mayan legend also holds if you have one of these in your living room during the end days, Quetzalcoatl will spare you from the fires of hell.  :angel:

Hey... Salvation  Oh, someone must have that one taken already...  :)

John Casler

« Reply #36 on: 29 Aug 2003, 02:50 am »
:notworthy:
The THUNDERCHILD
:notworthy:

sjd

« Reply #37 on: 6 Sep 2003, 10:21 pm »
Alright, in the same new agey vein I am running:

"Mooladhara"

If it doesn't roll off the tongue, no need to ask what this refers to... :)

KevinW

« Reply #38 on: 7 Sep 2003, 01:05 am »
err...
how about the Sub-Sonic?

Pun definitely intended...   how far below 20Hz will it play?

Kevin P

« Reply #39 on: 8 Sep 2003, 02:43 pm »
Kevin:

Check the other thread.  Dan measured it last week.  It goes plenty low for my use....... Music was our primary concern and I don't see much need for 10HZ output.  HT people have some program material that plays down there.  Since we are using sealed vs. ported or a PR system the low frequency extension is actually very good.  Not our design intent though.... I just like sealed enclosures for the subjective qualities, size and it keeps the design simple and inexpensive.  

Keep the names coming! :o