New IDA-16 owner here!

rebbi

New IDA-16 owner here!
« on: 24 Jan 2018, 04:47 pm »
 After soliciting lots of advice over in the Spatial Circle, I have  placed an order for a Nuprime IDA-16 integrated. I will be pairing it with a pair of Spatial M3 Turbo S, open baffle  speakers. I should have the unit sometime next week and will report back.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
Re: New IDA-16 owner here!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2018, 07:22 pm »
Congrats on the new equipment! Hope you enjoy it.  Looking forward to your impressions.

Best regards,
Rafa.

2oldcranks

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2018, 08:24 pm »
Congrats on a fine choice :thumb:
looking foreward to your impressions,should be great synergy

damguz

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2018, 09:36 pm »
Good to hear and welcome on board.  Looking forward to your thoughts and impressions. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2018, 11:45 pm »
Rebbi,

If you thought the Krell was impressive, you're destined for a trip over the moon when your new amp arrives.  :thumb:

rebbi

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2018, 01:10 am »
 Thanks, everybody.

So here’s a question: what have you owners of the IDA-16 found the break-in period to be like? I’ve heard everything from 50 hours to “hundreds of“ hours. Interested in your experiences in this regard? Thanks.

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2018, 01:31 am »
rebbi

If it's like the ST-10 it's somewhere between the two.  Just stream an internet radio station at a low volume and let it run.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2018, 03:48 am »
Just stream an internet radio station at a low volume and let it run.

No tubes means no need to turn it off - ever!  :green:

Tom Davis

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2018, 01:42 am »
Do not underestimate the importance of long break-in time.

I've been surprised by the improvement in the TDSS-modified IDA-16 at more or less 300 hours after my getting it back from Bob.

The noise-floor in the standard IDA-16 is very low, but this very long break-in of the TDSS modification has made me quite literally sit-up and take note of the difference in the sheer realism of finely nuanced detail, most especially in vocal inflection, where I go: Oh, that's what she meant! ---All of which means, I think, that the noise-floor must be even lower.

Tom

rebbi

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2018, 10:24 pm »
Just finished unpacking my new IDA-16. I have a question about connecting a CD player to the unit.

Is there any sonic or other advantage of optical over coaxial out from the CD player to one of the digital inputs on the IDA-16?

Thanks!

JackD

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2018, 11:08 pm »
Good coax cables are easier to find.

Samac

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2018, 11:43 pm »
Good coax cables are easier to find.

+1

rebbi

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2018, 12:15 am »
And has anyone found any benefit to using a more “boutique” power cord?  8)

JackD

« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2018, 12:48 am »
The DAC-10 and ST-10 as did the IDA-8 so I would assume the IDA-16 would but you don't have to go crazy.  Reasonably priced ones from ID dealers like Signal, Cullen and others are starting points. 

rebbi

« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 2018, 12:59 am »
The DAC-10 and ST-10 as did the IDA-8 so I would assume the IDA-16 would but you don't have to go crazy.  Reasonably priced ones from ID dealers like Signal, Cullen and others are starting points.

I have some big fat power cords from Signal so maybe I will give one of those a try. I was just wondering how essential the ferrite core around the stock power cable is.

Samac

« Reply #15 on: 1 Feb 2018, 01:03 am »
And has anyone found any benefit to using a more “boutique” power cord?  8)

I use A Cullen Cable Avius PC. It is excellent. I also use the Cullen Nitin Coax. It is excellent as well.

http://www.cullencable.com

Cheers,

Scott

JackD

« Reply #16 on: 1 Feb 2018, 05:41 am »
If it's in the cards at some point a used Triode Wire Labs Digital American will take it a bit further.

Grnebean

« Reply #17 on: 1 Feb 2018, 06:03 am »
Coax should sound better than optical. I have a Shunyata cord...don't think I can tell a difference between stock

Samac

« Reply #18 on: 1 Feb 2018, 12:00 pm »
I have the TWL Digital American on my very short list that I may try with my IDA-16.

To stay within a more comfortable budget as I explored power cables I went with Cullen (they have an extensive background in the audio industry). I've got their TOL pc coming; The Crossover II. If I experience the gains in sound quality that I did from their more affordable cable I'll be set for awhile (maybe for good? :lol:). After it has had time to settle in my system I'll follow-up with how it performs with my IDA-16.

I do believe at some point out of curiosity I will try the Digital American. TWL has quite the following.

Cheers,

Scott

rebbi

« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2018, 03:24 pm »
Do not underestimate the importance of long break-in time.

I've been surprised by the improvement in the TDSS-modified IDA-16 at more or less 300 hours after my getting it back from Bob.

The noise-floor in the standard IDA-16 is very low, but this very long break-in of the TDSS modification has made me quite literally sit-up and take note of the difference in the sheer realism of finely nuanced detail, most especially in vocal inflection, where I go: Oh, that's what she meant! ---All of which means, I think, that the noise-floor must be even lower.

Tom

Does the IDA-16 need to be run "loud" during break-in, or will playing softly with a CD on repeat do the trick? I assume a lot of this is about forming the capacitors and so forth, and I don't know if that requires loudness or just any old current. Thanks!