ST-10 Standby? Or left on?

Genez

ST-10 Standby? Or left on?
« on: 11 Jul 2018, 07:24 am »
Not sure if this question has been asked before..

Is it better to turn off the ST-10 with the front button... (I believe places it in a standby mode)  when you are not gong to be listening?

Or?  Just leave it on all the time?   

And, if its better to use standby?  How long when coming out of standby should one wait before listening?

Thanks...   

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: ST-10 Standby? Or left on?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2018, 07:35 am »
For day to day use I left it on all the time. If I were going to be away for a couple days, I'd put it in standby mode.

I began playing music as background music immediately after turning it on from standby. It's a nice amp, ya know?

Genez

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2018, 08:06 am »

Yes!  I know its a "nice" amp.  Mine has the TDSS mod.    Very "nice!" 

I just added a new tube preamp into the fold that needs to go on standby when I am done listening.  So, I thought maybe now I'd put everyone to sleep at the same time.   

If the ST-10 is not harmed by leaving it on all the time?  Then, so be it.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2018, 01:20 pm »
I find the 12V trigger a really useful feature! I have it hooked up and it comes out from standby mode as soon as I turn the pre on.  If I am going to do critical listening, I turn both on about half an hour before listening... although I must confess I sometimes prefer the sound when it is still 'cold'.  I feel that, when warm, it looses a bit of dynamic range.

Genez

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2018, 05:29 pm »

Yes!  I know its a "nice" amp.  Mine has the TDSS mod.    Very "nice!" 

I just added a new tube preamp into the fold that needs to go on standby when I am done listening.  So, I thought maybe now I'd put everyone to sleep at the same time.   

If the ST-10 is not harmed by leaving it on all the time?  Then, so be it.

I made contact with Bob Smith who does the TDSS mods for the ST-10. 

I asked him the same question.  Here is what he told me.

Seeing that the power supply is a traditional linear supply with a 60Hz transformer & rectifiers, etc. (as opposed to a switcher), I'd say leaving it in standby would be better unless you are leaving for more than a day or two. In that case you'll want to turn the main switch OFF just to protect from a random lightning strike while you are gone. Other than that though, when in Standby the main Amp Module is turned off anyway, so there is little to be concerned about because a linear supply is pretty rugged and not as likely to go "haywire" for no apparent reason... like switchers are known to do once in a while.

dfyoung

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2018, 08:50 pm »
I find the 12V trigger a really useful feature! I have it hooked up and it comes out from standby mode as soon as I turn the pre on.

+1, Rafa!