Denon 3910 - VERY first impressions of stock unit...

alotaklipsch

Re: Options
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jan 2005, 03:28 am »
Quote from: abrahavt
Steve:
Dont forget to post your impressions once you receive the unit. I am also looking into having Dan mod one for me. May go for the SS mods as Dan says he is very happy with its sound.
VT

No problem, I will have a completely new system too.  I have new speakers being made as I write, and a new DK design amp on it's way to me too.  I am changing fast fast fast :lol:  8)  :mrgreen:

alotaklipsch

Re: Options
« Reply #41 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:07 pm »
Quote from: alotaklipsch
Quote from: abrahavt
Steve:
Dont forget to post your impressions once you receive the unit. I am also looking into having Dan mod one for me. May go for the SS mods as Dan says he is very happy with its sound.
VT

No problem, I will have a completely new system too.  I have new speakers being made as I write, and a new DK design amp on it's way to me too.  I am changing fast fast fast :lol:  8)  :mrgreen:

Dan,  How we looking? :peek:

modwright

Almost there...
« Reply #42 on: 15 Feb 2005, 04:40 pm »
Sorry, in the middle of a real estate purchase and sale the past couple of weeks, so things have slowed me down.  I will have it done VERY soon.  I have replaced the tube circuit with a 5687 based deisgn and have only to listen and dial it in.

Thanks for your patience, have not meant to make this an epic event, but want to be sure that it is our best work all the same.

Take care,

Dan W.

abrahavt

« Reply #43 on: 16 Feb 2005, 02:25 am »
Pardon my ignorance but what is a 5687 based design?

modwright

5687 Tube
« Reply #44 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:43 am »
No need to apologize, sorry for the ambiguous response.

I am referring to use of the 5687 tube, instead of the 6H30.

I prefer the 5687 in our preamp and other designs.  I used the 6H30 successfully in the Denon 2900 and 5900 mods, but the 3910 is different and I believe that the 5687 tube may be more appropriate for this mod.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

Status Update
« Reply #45 on: 23 Feb 2005, 04:00 pm »
Hi and sorry for the delays in taking the Denon 3910 mods to market.  I am afraid that I personally have been dealing with real estate paperwork and agents for the past few weeks as we are relocating to WA state.  My techs have continued to build preamps and process the other mods orders, but I personally design the mods and do R&D of course.

The SS transformer mods are complete for the 3910 and are expected to retail for $3k including player.  The tube mods will be $4k w/player and are nearing completion.  The mod will include an outboard supply and the tube stage will be more sophisticated than previous offerings.

I appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Dan

abrahavt

How much without player
« Reply #46 on: 24 Feb 2005, 01:40 pm »
How much is it if we supply our existing player?

miklorsmith

Where in Washington State?
« Reply #47 on: 24 Feb 2005, 04:42 pm »
I'm in Seattle and have a Music Hall mod from you, with tubes, and the SE linestage.  Boy, it'd be great to save on shipping and just pick stuff up when it was done!

modwright

Mod Price
« Reply #48 on: 25 Feb 2005, 01:15 am »
Hi, Mod price for tube mods in Denon 3910 = $2500.  We are also offering a transformer-based SS mod that will be $1500.  These are mod prices only.

Thanks,

Dan W.

abrahavt

« Reply #49 on: 25 Feb 2005, 11:43 am »
Great. Where do I send the money. Can you tell us in a sentence or two the difference in sound between the SS and tube mods?

modwright

Denon Mods
« Reply #50 on: 25 Feb 2005, 05:04 pm »
Okay, the difference between the SS (transformer) and tube mods is one of 'voicing' and tonality.

Our Tube mods are not characteristically 'tubey' in that they do NOT roll of the highs or soften the bass. They do, however, give a certain amount of warmth and tube 3-dimensionality.

The SS (transformer) mods are more neutral and offer a greater level of micro-detail, resolution and tighter bass response.  I would describe this presentation as more 'accurate' but lacking the tube warmth and holographic qualities.  This mod will appeal to those who prefer solid-state systems. It is ruthless of poorly recorded material, but presents excellent recordings in a VERY realistic way.

To be clear, both mods are true to the music and the tube mods do not 'color' the sound significantly, but tubes DO add their own sonic character.  There is a 'magic' and 3-dimensional quality of tubes that cannot be matched by solid-state equipment, in my opinion.  This is preferred by many but not all.  The SS mods are available to suit the tastes of those who prefer the qualities of solid state gear over tube gear.

The solid state mods are less costly as they do not require the outboard supply and involve less parts cost and labor.  The SS mods also DO NOT buffer the output, so it will work best WITH an ACTIVE preamp, rather than a passive attenuator.  It will work very well however, with an integrated amplifier, provided that long cable runs are not used - i.e. < 2m-3m. runs.

I am ready to start taking pre-orders now and scheduling start dates.  We will require a 50% deposit up front to reserve a firm start date, but these will be scheduled to insure short turnaround time.

Thanks,

Dan W.

diw

« Reply #51 on: 26 Feb 2005, 02:43 pm »
To go back to a previous question:

The SS mods are 2 channel only, right? If we want a MC upgrade it would be opamp upgrades in the other channels? If one does this, is the output of the 5 channels equivalent, or does the volume of the 5 channels need to be balanced at the preamp?

Also, can you do an SDI video output mod or are you willing to work on a player that has had an SDI mod by JVB or some other party?

Thanks for your time.

modwright

SS Mods.
« Reply #52 on: 27 Feb 2005, 04:23 pm »
We don't do SDI mods, sorry.

We CAN offer the same SS mods for all channels, all being transformer-based and the same in design.  I need to work up pricing, but the transformers are not inexpensive.  If done this way, the sound would be identical all the way around, including levels.

Thanks,

Dan

alotaklipsch

Re: SS Mods.
« Reply #53 on: 27 Feb 2005, 06:51 pm »
Quote from: modwright
We don't do SDI mods, sorry.

We CAN offer the same SS mods for all channels, all being transformer-based and the same in design.  I need to work up pricing, but the transformers are not inexpensive.  If done this way, the sound would be identical all the way around, including levels.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, is my unit done?  Which tubes are we using, how does it sound, I have been patient, talk to me.....BTW How is the new home?  Congrats, you deserve the BEST life has to offer, you make lots of people HAPPY, and so you and your family should have all the best too.

Smilin for U :beer: cheers and Mazel Tov

modwright

3910 Mods
« Reply #54 on: 28 Feb 2005, 03:39 am »
Tubes are 5687, supply is outboard, sound is excellent.  It WILL ship this week.

Thanks,

Dan

BikeWNC

« Reply #55 on: 28 Feb 2005, 03:56 am »
Dan, how do the 2900 mods that use the 6H30 tube differ from the 3910 mods that use the 5687 tube?  I know you have used the 5687 in the Sony units, what made you want to go that way in the 3910?

modwright

5687 Vs. 6H30
« Reply #56 on: 28 Feb 2005, 05:19 am »
The units are tonally different.  I chose the 5687 for the 3910 because I felt that it offered better synergy.

Thanks,

Dan

Nick V

« Reply #57 on: 28 Feb 2005, 09:07 pm »
Am I correct in the assumption that you prefer the 3910 to the 2900 (modded & stock)?

I own a 3910 and find it sounds very good in stock form. Curious about the level of improvement going from the stock unit to the tube modded unit with outboard supply? Are we talking completely different sounding player, or just incremental refinement over the stock unit?

dnd

SDI Mod
« Reply #58 on: 1 Mar 2005, 07:13 pm »
diw,

I am having a player SDI modded by JVB, then, after I verify the SDI with my equipment, I will send it to Dan.  Dan asked that the center bay behind the drive be left open...that is, do not put the SDI there.

This is where most put the SDI, so you'd have to make special arrangements to put the board and BNC jack somewhere else.  I spoke to Bas at JVB, and he let me know that it is not a problem.  I should be shipping him my 3910 today or tomorrow.  Once he gets it and investigates other locations, he will simply confirm that it is OK with me and we will move on.  Fortunately, the SDI board can go anywhere inside the unit and they can run an internal cable to the jack location.

Dave

diw

« Reply #59 on: 2 Mar 2005, 12:29 am »
Thanks for the info. Let us know how your double modding job goes!