Looking for a quality USB DAC $300 budget

low.pfile

Looking for a quality USB DAC $300 budget
« on: 10 Sep 2007, 10:28 pm »
I am seriously entertaining trying an external USB DAC for my office and am looking for the options/suggestions.

My Apple G5 computer is both my personal computer and the music server for my audio system in the living room (in a different room/opposite wall). in the living room I have a Monarchy tube the path. Office speakers: Currently I am using the lowly 3.5mm output jack on the G5 mac to feed the signal (50% of AIFFs from iTunes or streaming feeds) to my powered Blue Sky 2.1 powered speakers, which does not have any digital inputs (The bluesky is staying, so please no suggestions for changing that out). Not sure of a soundcard (remember mac G5) with a standard DAC could come in at under 300. The G5 mac has one TOSlink out (going to my living room) so I am looking for a USB DAC for my office speakers I am aware there are TOSlink splitters but don't want to corrupt the signal to my main listening system in any way.

I am not going for nirvana here....the goal with the ext DAC is more detail and dynamics. I've set a budget of $300 max. Something with a small footprint to stack on the top of the G5 is the target since a full size audio component would be a challenge. I know there's a wealth of quality $700 + DACs but what about the entry level?

thanks,
ed

IronLion

Re: Looking for a quality USB DAC $300 budget
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2007, 10:55 pm »
The Trends Audio UD-10 might be worth a look.  It has a built in DAC (you'd have to get a mini-plug jack to RCA cable) that I admittedly have heard nothing about, but it also has SPDIF outs in various formats which could be useful to you later if and when you decide to upgrade to a better outboard DAC.  This would only run you about $120 I believe. 

emac

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2007, 12:28 am »
I got my USB+ Constantine by MHDT Labs for right around $300 off of Ebay, so it's worth considering.  I don't really use the USB option, so I can't comment on that, but it seems to be a quality DAC for a good price.

Gaara

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2007, 12:54 am »
Is the $300 budget for new or used? 

I currently use a DIY Paradise USB Monica and absolutely love it.  I tried a bunch of different DACs and settled on the USB Monica.  Phenomenal DAC for the money, I think I paid $275 for it.  Does everything the Monica DAC does but with improved bass.

The Trends is a great piece of you want to output to a outboard DAC via SPDIF, but beyond that it isn't that great.  The internal DAC is pretty poor and wasn't a big improvement over a soundcard I was using.  The 3.5mm jack also isn't built well, I tried a couple different cables and they tended to have poor connections, yet they work fine with other equipment.

The MHDT units should also be looked at.

low.pfile

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:17 am »
thanks guys! just the start that I needed
And $300 used is fine as long as it's reputable seller
USB monica sounds good but I don't DIY electronics ...I'd solder my fingers together!  :oops:

I don't like the sound of the Trends, and want to stay with regular RCA out not 3.5.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:18 am »
A Scott Nixon USBchibi for $250 is perfect for you. He makes good stuff.
http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm

Wayne

low.pfile

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:58 am »
even better, thanks wayne.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:26 am »
Did you happen to see this ad......its a recent post. I've not heard it.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2007, 03:21 am »
I use the Scott Nixon TubeDac with the optional 3Xac power supply, it has a smooth sound with no digital nasties. I expect the USBchibi to have the same signature because Scott likes the non-oversampled sound.

The KECES USB DAC looks interesting and has a 14 day return policy.

I wonder if Scott has a return policy? Wouldn't hurt to ask. You could do a mini-shootout (hint, hint).  :D

Gaara

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2007, 03:27 am »
thanks guys! just the start that I needed
And $300 used is fine as long as it's reputable seller
USB monica sounds good but I don't DIY electronics ...I'd solder my fingers together!  :oops:

I don't like the sound of the Trends, and want to stay with regular RCA out not 3.5.

Sorry I didn't clarify, the price I gave was for a fully assembled unit in a wood chassis.  I can't solder either, every time I try I tend to burn myself or an article of clothing. 

low.pfile

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2007, 04:18 am »
what is up with all plexiglass? eg the constantine and ECES USB DAC

low.pfile

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2007, 06:29 pm »
I reconfigured my setup: taking my Monarchy DAC from the LivingRm and it's now in my office system using Toslink. Now I concerned that my measly $300 budget won't cut it for me(sonically). I can't keep the Monarchy here(office) since it doesn't have USB and I need the Monarchy DAC out in the LivingRm.

maybe the Scott nixon tube dac or the Channel Islands vda2 near $700? ugh.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2007, 06:20 am »
I've been searching for a USB DAC i can listen too for about a year now... i've tried a few and now satisfied... the Twisted Pear with the Wolfson DAC(s) was top of my list, but i ran into a used Edirol UA-25 at the local swap-n-shop dirt cheap and it was a real surprise sonically. Leagues better than anything i've tired yet. I may still try the twisted pair but i'm in no hurry.

iBook G4 into the Edirol, directly into my power amps sounds quite good. It also (theoretically) gives me the ability to capture 24/96 off my TT.

At some point i'll probably try a souped up power supply (the unit is bus powered), but at this point i haven't even popped the lid to see what is inside (very unusual for me),

The simplier UA-1 has been geting good press too... it is under $100 i understand.

dave

slbenz

« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2007, 02:02 pm »
Here is a link to a unit that I had for a while until I upgraded to the $700+ range of external DACs.  Built well and sounded very good for the price, only $220.  The company also has a 30-day return policy if you don't like it.  Good luck with your search: http://www.pacificvalve.us/DIYEDEDNGM.html

low.pfile

« Reply #15 on: 20 Sep 2007, 03:24 pm »
Thanks Planet10, Berndt, and SLbenz! I will look into all of these.
As it stands now, I miss the DAC I had temporarily set up .  There was a big difference. the sound stage was much larger and the detail was improved.
My research provided me with way too much information: USB to SPDIF conversion is bad, Oversampling is bad, oversampling is good, discrete this.... etc. etc. I realize there is no perfect solution. And "price IS an object" I wish I could take the suggestion to try a few and compare. Not really practical. So I will continue trying to learn as much as a can about the philosophies and architectures before making the move. Cross the CIAudio VDA off my list- it lacks USB (my synapses misfired). ScottsDixon tube is still on the list. My budget is slightly more than before but as much as the Wavelength Brick seems to call to me, I just can't do it.

SLbenz, I had considered the GrandMarch but nothing written about it online. What did you move up to?

enjoy your music ~ed
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2007, 04:33 pm by low.pfile »

t-head

• 'I am sure that I am sure of nothing'
« Reply #16 on: 20 Sep 2007, 04:11 pm »
Mike from audiomagus (the Trends dist) said they are working on a new DAC. Send him a mail. They also sell a USB DAC for under $100...i have not heard it...FWIW

tea

Edit: $110 for USB

"The Super Pro uses the CS-8416 for the receiver ship and the highly resolving, 24-192kHz, CS-4398 for the D/A chip. Dual LT1364Cs are used for analog output. The unit has optical and coaxial digital outputs. Analog output is via standard RCA plugs."

D/A Receiver chip CS-8416,
D/A converter chip, CS-4398 (24-192KHZ )
Dual LT1364C OPAMPS for analog output circuit
Optical digital input
Coaxial Digital Input
USB input (CM-108 USB receiving chip)
Standard RCA analog output plugs

« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2007, 04:42 pm by t-head »

slbenz

« Reply #17 on: 20 Sep 2007, 11:12 pm »
Ed,

You have already mentioned it.  I purchased a Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 external DAC with the upgraded VDA-1 power supply.  More depth, detail, wider soundstage and bass vs. the Great March.  But the Great March when I compared it to a MSB LinkDAC III, were similar sounding in my system which is consists of Magnepan speakers and Parasound separates. 

slbenz 

low.pfile

« Reply #18 on: 5 Oct 2007, 07:26 am »
UGH.....
I am still struggling.

slbenz: the CIaudio is not USB (....Digital input signals are accepted by Toslink optical or coaxial SPDIF, then fed to the CS8416 24 bit/192k low jitter input receiver, then to the Burr Brown PCM1794 balanced/current output DAC. )

Recap: using my Blue Sky 2.1 Media Desk powered speakers in my G5 iTunes system in my home office where I seem to spend 60% of my music listening I am looking for a  DAC that sounds similar to my Monarchy NM24 (main system) to soften highs, broaden the stage and add detail, add a dash of body to electronica, alternative and indie rock, and blues. This is a nearfield  (2 feet distance) set up.

My original $300 budget is  :shake: out. I want detail and body. I think a $300 DAC would not provide a noticeable difference to the sound in this system. I am willing to go up to $1000US. yep. I said it. damn. But it has to be USB.**

Now I am trying to figure out the whole OP AMP thing. I keep hearing "op amps are bad, mmmkay?" Well I like how my monarchy NM24 sounds.  I have no idea if it has them.  If it has em, then they are OK by me.

**I think I need a USB DAC since the digital S/PDIF out on my G5 feeds my living room system. I started researching mac pci-x sound cards that have S/PDIF out but am not sure I could send out itunes to two SPDIF outputs: PCI card and built in output. This approach of sound card + DAC still would need to be <$1000
USB seems fraught with issues including that the audio signal could be interrupted by the computer activity, the other being USB to SPDIF conversion. The interuption issue would be huge since when I am listening in the office I am obviously using my computer (Illustrator, photoshop, photo library, etc). When the computer is being used as a server for the Living Room system nothing else is running on the G5.

Any ideas?

Latest considerations:
I am trying to find out info about Scottnixon's next tube DACs. And based on reviews:
The Music fidelity X-DAC v8 almost works but USB operation seems faulty(signal interuption). Lavry DA-10 DACs lacks RCA output and may be complicated in setting up and seems to lean toward analytical? The Mhdt Labs Paradisea DAC appears to lack detail from reviews . I haven't concluded on Benchmark.  Hagerman Chime USB DAC  and Wavelength Brick is too much cash (used is an option). TADAC - Tube Audio lack USB input. The search continues.

Enjoy your music ~ed

Bemopti123

« Reply #19 on: 5 Oct 2007, 11:59 am »
Coming from the left field, I purchased a $299 Headroom Micro DAC which can either be run on batteries(not recommended, energy hog) or from a brick PS.  It has a mini plug out, so you need an Y cable with RCA males on the end.  I did this so I could listen to Internet radio via my MacMini and it was not until yesterday, almost an year or more after I bought it that I realized the quality of reproduction.  I connected it to a Naim Headline 2 headphone amplifier also an AKG 701K headphones and I was blown away. 

Every single music track that I have had heard before via Itunes had an absolutely different nuance and delivery that had be wondering what I was listening before. 

The unit does incredible things, as it is able to retrieve detail that is overlooked by other set ups I have heard.

The best thing of it all is that you can "try it out" for 30 days and if you do not like it, send it back for full refund.