I need Windows 8.1 audio setting help

rtate

I need Windows 8.1 audio setting help
« on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:40 pm »
I purchased an ifi iDSD nano and have it hooked up to a Zotac Z box using windows 8.1 for an OS.
On my ifi nano there is a led that is supposed to change color when different formats are played. With my current set up the light stays the same color regardless of the source material. I checked the faq section at the ifi site and they suggest that it's a windows setting that I need to change.
I have both boxes checked in" exclusive mode" and if I change the "Default Format" the light on the nano changes but then stays that color regardless of the source material.
I'm not sure what the Windows settings shoud be or if there is somewhere else in windows where I need to change a setting? :scratch:
I have am using both Foobar and Kodi as players...
I just downloaded Foobar today and it is completley stock, do I need to add some things to it for Hi Rez ?

srb

Re: I need Windows 8.1 audio setting help
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:12 pm »
What audio driver are you using in either program?

In

foobar2000 > File > Preferences > Playback > Output > Device

or in

Kodi > System > Settings >  System > Audio Output > Audio Output Device

I think you will need to select either an ASIO or WASAPI driver to bypass Windows default sample rate or downsampling.

Steve

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:31 pm »
If you are using Foobar2000 to play DSD file formats like DFF files, you will also need the DSD component and foo_asio proxy output selected and select the correct output data format for the iDSD. 

srb is correct.  You will need to select another output format as he explained, to avoid Windows DS format.  WASAPI(Event) or ASIO would be my choices.

Good luck.

rtate

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:43 pm »
Thanks Guys !
 In Foobar it says "Speakers (ifi(by AMR) HD+USB Audio)
In Kodi : Speakers(ifi ( by AMR) HD +USB Audio)

In Kodi I have the option to select : Wasapi speakers(ifi (By AMR) HD+USB Audio)
in Foobar I do not have a wasapi option.

Should I select the wasapi option in Kodi ?

Do I need to add components to Foobar and if so where do I get them ?
I do want to try DSD files and I have downloaded a free one but Foobar does not recognize it .
I see it in Kodi and it plays but no audio....

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:52 pm »
Did you install the WASAPI component and ASIO components in Foobar2000?  If not, those options will not be available.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2015, 08:04 pm »
Do I need to add components to Foobar and if so where do I get them ?

Download WASAPI and ASIO components from the foobar2000 Components page
http://www.foobar2000.org/components

Steve

rtate

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2015, 08:55 pm »
I have now installed the wasapi component(event).
Do I need asio as well ?
I read on a" Foobar for dummies" site that the DSD support component is not good and to use the sacd component instead ?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2015, 09:17 pm »
You will need the ASIO component to use the DSD output.

Yes, use the SACD component with the foo_ASIO Proxy for DSD output. 

srb

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2015, 09:20 pm »
if you decide at some point to try a paid software player, I recommend J.River Media Center ($50) which works extremely well on all formats, has a superior interface and has an abundance of features and customizations.  You can download a full-featured free 30 day trial.  Best piece of low-cost software I have purchased.

Steve

rtate

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2015, 01:36 am »
Thanks Steve, does it have all the "components"  required for all formats built in ?
Right now I have Kodi playing a .dif file and it sounds pretty good !!

srb

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2015, 03:34 am »
Yes, JRiver is ready to go with everything built in.  I also have Kodi installed, but I only use it for some of its video streaming features.

To get started, just set your library location(s) under Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Auto Import and select your audio device under Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device.

Although there's a 30 day trial for JRMC, you'll need all of that and more to explore all of the features, settings and customizations.  ;)

Steve