More HDMI changes/rollout questions for JT

Alphonse

More HDMI changes/rollout questions for JT
« on: 10 Oct 2019, 04:33 pm »
James, thanks for the response to my question on HDMI for the BDA 3.14. Not what I wanted to hear but it is what it is.

So, given the recent Storm announcement on their new HDMI board shipping Oct 1, will new Bryston SP4 and SP3 units also be shipping with the new board?

How about upgrades? If I buy a used SP3, will the new board be offered as a simple plug and play upgrade? Or will other motherboard or DSP or power supply or other changes be required to accommodate the increased bandwidth and HDMI features?

And, what are the costs for the upgrades?

Thanks,   Al

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: More HDMI changes/rollout questions for JT
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2019, 05:05 pm »
James, thanks for the response to my question on HDMI for the BDA 3.14. Not what I wanted to hear but it is what it is.

So, given the recent Storm announcement on their new HDMI board shipping Oct 1, will new Bryston SP4 and SP3 units also be shipping with the new board?

How about upgrades? If I buy a used SP3, will the new board be offered as a simple plug and play upgrade? Or will other motherboard or DSP or power supply or other changes be required to accommodate the increased bandwidth and HDMI features?

And, what are the costs for the upgrades?

Thanks,   Al

Hi Al,

No we are staying with the MDS HDMI board on the SP4.

On the SP3 we will probably offer upgrades on the HDMI but it will be the MDS HDMI board not the Storm unit.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2019, 01:21 pm »
Why will you not be offering the new HDMI board on the SP4's that Storm has developed? From what I have been able to tell the current board does not have any HDMI 2.1 features, at least the new Storm board will offer eARC (not offering ALLM or VRR for some reason) so that would be a nice feature to have for anyone streaming video content that have high res audio content from their smart tv's .

Possibly not HDMI board related but Storm's just announced mark 2 version of their SSP's, will you also be skipping that as well or is the mark 2 simply a reference to the HDMI board and not to other separate improvements in the Storm platform. I also read that 96kHz internal processing may be offered in the future as a upgrade but I can as of yet find no info on that on the storm website.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2019, 01:27 pm »
Why will you not be offering the new HDMI board on the SP4's that Storm has developed? From what I have been able to tell the current board does not have any HDMI 2.1 features, at least the new Storm board will offer eARC (not offering ALLM or VRR for some reason) so that would be a nice feature to have for anyone streaming video content that have high res audio content from their smart tv's .

Possibly not HDMI board related but Storm's just announced mark 2 version of their SSP's, will you also be skipping that as well or is the mark 2 simply a reference to the HDMI board and not to other separate improvements in the Storm platform. I also read that 96kHz internal processing may be offered in the future as a upgrade but I can as of yet find no info on that on the storm website.

Hi

Yes We are going to stick with MDS and they will be offering upgrades going forward

James

Alphonse

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2019, 11:45 pm »
Thanks James. No rush, I may just wait until there is a new HDMI board available for the BDA 3.14 and in the meantime keep an eye out for a used SP3.

Al

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2019, 01:58 am »
Hi Al,

Yes the SP3 is still selling well. 

I think the fact that it is truly an audiophile 'audio first' approach sets it apart from the more feature focused surround units out there.

Things like true analog pass-thorough, fully discrete output stage and dual power supplies etc. It just sounds really, really good and is a great stereo preamp as well.

james

BigGeek

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2019, 09:30 pm »
My SP-3 sounds amazing and it has sufficient flexibility to provide for my needs, which are audiophile first and Videophile second. I don’t use any of the video passthrough stuff in it. Don’t need to if you have a decent layout for your gear and a universal remote. My tv has plenty of HDMI inputs.