New Parasound Integrated amp- looks good!

geowak

New Parasound Integrated amp- looks good!
« on: 18 Mar 2015, 09:46 pm »
Here are a few features of the new Parasound Integrated Halo Amp

-24-bit/192 kHz DAC decodes DSD128
-Decodes DSD over PCM
-Adjustable low-pass and high-pass Crossover
-Home Theater Bypass/Amp input
-MM/MC Phono stage
-Balanced and unbalanced RCA connections
-160/240 watts RMS both channels driven 8/4 ohm
-Dual mono power supply with oversized toroid transformer @ 40,000uf power supply filter capacitance
-ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC
-John Curl topology and engineering

link here- http://www.hometoys.com/news/2015/03/02/parasound-introduces-new-halo-integrated-amplifier-and-dac/20007116

neekomax

Re: New Parasound Integrated amp- looks good!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2015, 10:03 pm »
PERFECT.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2015, 10:46 pm »
I know you can't judge an amplifier on power supply capacitance, but I was hoping that it had a bit more than the 125W/225W A23 amplifier (48,000 uF), but obviously expected less than the 100,000 uF of the $2495 250W/400W A21 amplifier.

BTW, Audio Advisor is listing the "Halo Integrated" (no model # designation) as ready to ship at $2495.

Still, a nice full-featured integrated package.  Maybe a few here on Audiocircle who are in the position and ready to buy an integrated w/DAC can give their impressions.  ;)

Steve

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2015, 12:02 am »

I know you can't judge an amplifier on power supply capacitance, but I was hoping that it had a bit more than the 125W/225W A23 amplifier (48,000 uF), but obviously expected less than the 100,000 uF of the $2495 250W/400W A21 amplifier.

BTW, Audio Advisor is listing the "Halo Integrated" (no model # designation) as ready to ship at $2495.

Still, a nice full-featured integrated package.  Maybe a few here on Audiocircle who are in the position and ready to buy an integrated w/DAC can give their impressions.  ;)

Steve
Yeah I see your point on the power supply and caps. If your speakers are not hard to drive, at the price Parasound wants, you still get a good DAC, a chance to use DSD with a Parasound amp and preamp. That is three components in one for less than 2.5K$ plus tax. My wife would love it (only one box of wires), since I have the A21 and P3 plus a DAC and she says they are all ugly. Haha

So I have used Parasound gear, and really like it. Built very well and sounds great.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2015, 12:18 am »
That is three components in one for less than 2.5K$ plus tax.

With all the extra expense and hyperbole surrounding overpriced interconnects it would make some sense that you might get a bit better sound with short direct connections through the elimination of cables as well as elimination of multiple plug to jack interfaces.

My wife would love it (only one box of wires), since I have the A21 and P3 plus a DAC and she says they are all ugly.

Even in the worst case scenario, this would only be 1/3 as ugly!  ;)

BTW, along with the choice of black or silver for most Parasound components, the plastic end caps have been replaced with matching anodized machined aluminum end caps (at least for the integrated).

Steve

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2015, 01:04 am »
I own an A21 amp.  I think it is a good looking piece of kit.  There are better sounding amps in its price range.  It was a great amp when it came out but there are a lot of better sounding amps on the market now.  The specs on the A21 look spectacular, even better than my Pass X250 but the Pass blows it away in sound quality. 

That new integrated looks great on paper though.  I would love to hear one.

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2015, 01:51 am »
I own an A21 amp.  I think it is a good looking piece of kit.  There are better sounding amps in its price range.  It was a great amp when it came out but there are a lot of better sounding amps on the market now.  The specs on the A21 look spectacular, even better than my Pass X250 but the Pass blows it away in sound quality. 

That new integrated looks great on paper though.  I would love to hear one.

I think I paid about between $2100 and $2300 for the A21 new. I think the Pass is around $8250. Maybe I am wrong.
I like the Musical Fidelity integrated (dual mono) M6 500i for about $7K but that is triple what I paid for the A21.

I would expect the Pass or the MF to surpass the Parasound, for sure.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2015, 02:34 am »
Not a fan of combining a DAC with other functions as the DAC scene continues to advance so quickly, especially at this level of investment.  Just check a list of yesterday's well respected integrated amps/DAC, its sad and almost ridiculous in hindsight.

Even most of the low wattage digital only integrated amp/DAC's (that would be perfect for desktop use) don't do DSD/DXD (if "needed") and frankly the DAC's are often the weak link in the design (anytime multiple functions are combined there is bound to be a weak link).

geowak

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2015, 02:41 am »
Not a fan of combining a DAC with other functions as the DAC scene continues to advance so quickly, especially at this level of investment.  Just check a list of yesterday's well respected integrated amps/DAC, its sad and almost ridiculous in hindsight.

Even most of the low wattage digital only integrated amp/DAC's (that would be perfect for desktop use) don't do DSD/DXD (if "needed") and frankly the DAC's are often the weak link in the design (anytime multiple functions are combined there is bound to be a weak link).

Great point! I have a stand alone Schiit Bifrost DAC and I have upgraded it once already since those guys offer it. The Benchmark DAC I own has been improved upon multiple times in various versions over the years!!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2015, 03:13 am »
I think I paid about between $2100 and $2300 for the A21 new. I think the Pass is around $8250. Maybe I am wrong.
I like the Musical Fidelity integrated (dual mono) M6 500i for about $7K but that is triple what I paid for the A21.

I would expect the Pass or the MF to surpass the Parasound, for sure.

I bought my Pass used and it sold for $6K new.  I probably should not have used that for comparison purposes but I have heard a few amps in the A21's price range that sound better.  The AVA Synergy amps sound better ( I did a A-B test) as well as Vincent Audio.  I think that Peach Tree amps give it a run for the money.  I paid $1900 for my A21 and it was a great buy back then.  I still like it and use it in a secondary system now.  I am surprised that Parasound has not upgraded the A21 but I guess they don't want to take any sales away from the JC line.  The A21 could use a little less grain and a little more air and transparency, otherwise I love it.

PMAT

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2015, 04:01 am »
The saber DAC is righteously wonderful. It was a great choice. Most people will never hear a better DAC.  Drawing any real conclusion based on comparison with a very old A21 is premature. Let's hear it first.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2015, 04:43 am »
For a 160W/channel linear amplifier with both stereo and HT bass management and bypass, you're likely only paying ~ $500 or less for the addition of the internal DAC.  Most people are paying between $1000 and $1500 for a separate ESS 9018 component DAC, and at that price range they're more similar than not.

A superior DAC with a not so subtle increase in sophistication and sound quality seems to be more in the $2000 to $3000 range.  You can always plug one of those into the amp in the future and the addition of this particular internal DAC to the Halo Integrated seems like a bargain, equivalent to a couple pairs of interconnects for many.

Of course, if you can find one on the used market in a year or two, that should really make for a great buy on an all-in-one solution.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:13 pm »
A "home grown" alternative to this is the $2350 NuPrime IDA-16:

Features:

Full microprocessor control with memory retention
Five digital inputs & one stereo input for complete system flexibility
Supports DSD native playback by ASIO2.1 and DoP method
Theater-Mode pass-through (fixed volume control) function
Ultra low noise JFETs employed in input stage for the lowest possible noise performance
Volume adjustment in 99 precise, 0.5dB increments
Advanced, thin-film switched-resistor ladder network for controlling volume - only a single resistor in the signal path at any volume setting
Individually adjustable volume on each input for precise level matching of all sources
High-standard parts: USB (DSD): XMOS DAC: ESS9018 and OPA2134 for high-quality sound.
Cross-Matrix Array (CMA) capacitor module (high capacity)
Exclusive driver software for Windows
Standard driver software for Mac
Asynchronous transfer mode
Very Low Power Consumption on Standby Mode
Available in stylish black or silver anodized aluminum finish
Included remote control for full convenience

Inputs:

1 x  USB Digital
2 x Coaxial Digital S/PDIF
2 x Optical Digital S/PDIF
1 x Analog Stereo RCA

Outputs:

1 x Optical (up to 24 bit/192 kHz)
1 x Stereo RCA (Line out)
1 x Stereo Speaker (Binding Posts) Output

Specifications:

USB Sampling Rates: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHz, 384KHz and DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz
S/PDIF Sampling Rates: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96, 176.4KHz, 192KHz
Maximum Sampling Rate: 24-bits
Bit Resolution: 16-24-bits
Power output: 200W x 2 (8-Ohm)
THD+N: 0.004%
Peak Output Power: 400W
Frequency Response: 10Hz to 80kHz
RS232 extension: Smart Home Control & Firmware upgrade
Dimensions: 17 in W x 15 in D x 1.97 in H (2.56 in H include feet)
Weight: 16 lbs.
Worldwide AC voltage: (90VAC~130VAC // 210VAC~ 250VAC) With Voltage Select Switch
AC Fuse: Slow-blow,7A, 250VAC

srb

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:37 pm »
A "home grown" alternative to this is the $2350 NuPrime IDA-16

At almost the same price point (actually $145 less) that would be an interesting comparison in sound from two different engineering topologies.  I do like the subwoofer integration for both stereo and HT in the Parsound, though.

But in the end, the preferred sound will probably take precedence for most.

Steve