BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« Reply #340 on: 3 Jan 2015, 05:43 pm »
Thank you very much James!

Would this phone stage be a full-size component or one of your new mini 1/3rd-sized component?

Cheers!
Antun

HI

1/3rd size and I will start a new thread on Bryston Phono going forward.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #341 on: 3 Jan 2015, 05:49 pm »
 :thumb:

1ZIP

« Reply #342 on: 3 Jan 2015, 07:03 pm »
Not much sense in continuing this thread since Bryston seems to have little or no interest in producing a new CD player.  That being the case one has to wonder why this thread was started in the first place.  As much as i would have liked to have a Bryston CD player replace my aging ARCAM its time to move on and find another manufacturer.

redbook

« Reply #343 on: 3 Jan 2015, 07:34 pm »

750D I was checking out the Sim Audio 750D. Seems they are putting a lot of effort into this Cd player. Of course Naim is going strong as well. :thumb:

rmurray

« Reply #344 on: 3 Jan 2015, 07:55 pm »
 :thumb: It's available in black too......uses double chip in dac

1ZIP

« Reply #345 on: 3 Jan 2015, 09:26 pm »
Thinking more along the lines of the 650D.  Same look and almost the same performance but about 3K less expensive.  Maybe a useful thread would be be "Potential Replacements for the BCD"!  :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #346 on: 3 Jan 2015, 11:06 pm »
Not much sense in continuing this thread since Bryston seems to have little or no interest in producing a new CD player.  That being the case one has to wonder why this thread was started in the first place.  As much as i would have liked to have a Bryston CD player replace my aging ARCAM its time to move on and find another manufacturer.

James' first post indicates - "HI Folks,

Not a week goes by that I do not get a request from a customer about where he can get a Bryston BCD-1 CD Player and I get chewed out for discontinuing ours.  I had no choice as the drive we used was a dedicated CD Drive (as opposed to a DVD Drive) and Phillips discontinued them.

Anyway I have found a new CD drive that performs very well and wanted to get an idea from our customers as to whether you think a dedicated CD Player from Bryston is a viable product given todays computer based options.

james
"

So the thread has evolved.  I think it is great when a manufacturer is willing to take input from its customers.  While the manufacturer has the risk of its own capital and will make the decision that is best for them, it is really nice they take the time to engage different things.  Bryston is not alone in this (e.g. - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=131428.0) and everyone should be pleased that the company thinks enough to solicit input from customers.

1ZIP

« Reply #347 on: 3 Jan 2015, 11:34 pm »
I think everyone understands and appreciates Bryston asking input from its customers Phil, so save your lectures.

Mag

« Reply #348 on: 4 Jan 2015, 12:37 am »
I have showed James privately, using his own DACs in the SP2 and BDA-1 it can outperform any cd player. It doesn't matter what that source is as long as its free of noise. Hopefully we'll see this in a new DAC, BDA-3.

If you ask me what it is or how it works, its top secret. :banana piano:

redbook

« Reply #349 on: 4 Jan 2015, 02:55 am »
As I understand it jitter will always be greater going from a transport to a dac. The pace and drive that Naim has achieved has been the result of great timing error correction (jitter) The BCD1 has done a similar feat.   However,to have a new Bryston single box player with the latest chips would be a treasure for those of us who still prefer playing records and not getting involved with computer downloading ect, ect. I am glad to see that other high end companies still see  merit in this. Of course Bryston has to consider production cost against sales and that is understandable . I do hope that the BCD-2X will still be created if only as a special edition model :thumb:

Chicago

« Reply #350 on: 4 Jan 2015, 06:33 am »
As I understand it jitter will always be greater going from a transport to a dac. The pace and drive that Naim has achieved has been the result of great timing error correction (jitter) The BCD1 has done a similar feat.   However,to have a new Bryston single box player with the latest chips would be a treasure for those of us who still prefer playing records and not getting involved with computer downloading ect, ect. I am glad to see that other high end companies still see  merit in this. Of course Bryston has to consider production cost against sales and that is understandable . I do hope that the BCD-2X will still be created if only as a special edition model :thumb:

Redbook,
Well said and I feel the same way. 

rmurray

« Reply #351 on: 4 Jan 2015, 06:35 pm »
Ditto that..... :rock:

R. Daneel

« Reply #352 on: 5 Jan 2015, 07:29 pm »
The fact that manufacturers like Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Musical fidelity, Cambdrige and others still make affordable CD players is a sign that there is still a market for that. In fact, Musical fidelity just re-released their M3 and M6 series and they sound better than ever so clearly, there are those who want a CD player in their system. Bryston, if they decide to go forward with this, might be one of the last high-end brands in the field from the "other" side of the pond. Esoteric/Teac and Accuphase seem to be doing well with their CD/SACD players so I think all it takes a leap of faith :) Let's not forget we'd be dealing with something that is potentially as good as anything at any price. I'd buy one!

Cheers!
Antun

bummrush

« Reply #353 on: 5 Jan 2015, 08:45 pm »
Bryston  has such good stuff,i think you would have no problems  with  another go at.People still like physical hands on sources.
 Alot of people got rid of records,only to regret it,and dont want to do that again. i really have no thoughts of doing that again.Plus people just getting into high end would still be able to access millions of titles.

rmurray

« Reply #354 on: 5 Jan 2015, 09:48 pm »
  Here's an old standard that has evolved with time...... :thumb:

R. Daneel

« Reply #355 on: 8 Jan 2015, 03:50 pm »
Exactly!

Naim would be a European brand that is comparable to Bryston even though they don't share a similar sound sinature (for a lack of a better word). Naim still thinks of CD as a viable format and hope Bryston decides to do the same thing.

Cheers!
Antun

redbook

« Reply #356 on: 8 Jan 2015, 06:07 pm »
  Exactly my thoughts too. :thumb: There are other top line brands that share this view. I hope that the James gang will offer their new unit and it will be a great player for all time. The CD-1 will be hard to beat but if those new chips are that much finer.....let's do it. :bowdown:

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #357 on: 8 Jan 2015, 07:22 pm »
Ditto. Hoping for a BCD-X.

Rich

rmurray

« Reply #358 on: 8 Jan 2015, 08:58 pm »
Ditto. Hoping for a BCD-X.

Rich

I dig that name, has a good sound   BCDX-1 :thumb: :thumb:

Chicago

« Reply #359 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:31 pm »
Of late, you rarely see these on the secondary market and that should tell Bryston something.  I am still hoping they move the BCD-X up their list of projects.  James mentioned he hadn't given up hope but also told us their plate is full at the moment.  Maybe as some of these projects materialize the player will be revisited.