Kenwood 990D vs Sansui TU 717

1ZIP

Kenwood 990D vs Sansui TU 717
« on: 2 Apr 2009, 09:21 pm »
Thinking of getting a KT 990D or Sansui TU 717 (if either can even be found).  Anybody have first hand knowledge of one or both?

richidoo

Re: Kenwood 990D vs Sansui TU 717
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2009, 11:51 pm »
I have the Sansui TU-717. Bought on Ebay for ~$200, shipped it to Stereo Surgeons in CT for Black Gates and alignment. They took a long time but they did a good job. For $500 I have an incredible tuner, sounds as good as my high end DAC.  I never heard the Kenwood.

Here's a Sansui on eBay

1ZIP

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2009, 01:24 am »

Thanks for the info.  I've heard that the sonics are pretty good and that it has good sensitivity, which I need.  They are a nice looking piece of equipment!  I'll keep Stereo Surgeons in mind.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2009, 02:12 am »
i can wouch for the sansui tu717 - it's a fine sounding tuna.  never heard that kenwood, tho many like it a lot.  go to fmtunerinfo.com and its sister yahoo tuna forum site for more tuna info.  i happen to have a decent tu717 i'd be willing to let go.  no, it's not as good as my refurb'd modded sansui tu-x1, but the law of diminishing returns is definitely in effect here.   :wink:  and, no, i am not praising the tu717 yust cuz i am willing to sell mine.  it's yust that i am a tuna-holic; i presently own >40 tunas, and i could do w/some "thinning of the school", so to speak.  which is hard to do for me, i have a wintage pilot fa-680 on the way.   :lol:  but, i recently sold a refurb'd modded sansui tu9900 - another stellar performer; and a nice nad 4300, so there is some hope for me.   :green:

doug s.,
so many tunas, so little time...

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2009, 02:57 am »
Another cwassic post doug... (I know, leave it to the pro...)

Doug, do you agree with the 717 recommended mods listed on fmtunainfo.com? http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/DIY.html#TU-717

Stereo Surgeons replaced some caps with black gates, I think maybe about 8 caps. The recommended mods on fmtunerinfo suggest a couple dozen upgrades requiring some serious disassembly which I know I didn't pay Ken to do. Do you think it's worth taking it all the way with great parts? I have to say I am pretty happy just the way it is, but you never know how good it can be until you try... Who can do a really good alignment down here in mid atlantic?
Thanks
Rich

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2009, 12:57 pm »
Another cwassic post doug... (I know, leave it to the pro...)

Doug, do you agree with the 717 recommended mods listed on fmtunainfo.com? http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/DIY.html#TU-717

Stereo Surgeons replaced some caps with black gates, I think maybe about 8 caps. The recommended mods on fmtunerinfo suggest a couple dozen upgrades requiring some serious disassembly which I know I didn't pay Ken to do. Do you think it's worth taking it all the way with great parts? I have to say I am pretty happy just the way it is, but you never know how good it can be until you try... Who can do a really good alignment down here in mid atlantic?
Thanks
Rich
hey rich,

i think replacing all the caps as shown on the tic site is a good idea, if for no other reason than this is now >30 years old.  but, if everything is working normally, the best ones to replace for sonics, imo, are the caps in the power supply and in the audio path.  and, i would definitely recommend filter and op-amp mods.  you could query bob f. and/or james rivers directly, on the tuna forum, for more detailed info.  i would also query stereo surgeons about exactly what they did, and what else they think they could have done to make it better.

as far as who in the "mid atlantic" is good for working on tunas, the tic recommends a shop in va beach, but i don't have first hand experience.  also, i have heard of this shop in springfield, va - a former cj engineer/designer works there; it's supposed to also be good.  again, no experience, except vicariously, from what i read here on the forum about someone who had no success taking a modern parasound amp there for repair:

http://www.musictechnology.com/

i have had good results from bob f on the tuna forum (new england), from mike williams (aka: punker x on audiokarma) of radio-x tuners (mi), from joe chow at component plus usa (ca), from stephen sank at talking dog transducers (nm)

best,

doug s.

1ZIP

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2009, 04:12 pm »
Doug;

Entertaining post! Thanks for the info and offer on the 717 but I've found one locally that is in excellent condition.  Apparently they are not as hard to find as I thought.

"no, it's not as good as my refurb'd modded sansui tu-x1, but the law of diminishing returns is definitely in effect here.     and, no, i am not praising the tu717 yust cuz i am willing to sell mine".

It never occurred to me that you were....but I suppose it's something to consider.

Again, thanks for the info.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2009, 05:19 pm »
Doug;

Entertaining post! Thanks for the info and offer on the 717 but I've found one locally that is in excellent condition.  Apparently they are not as hard to find as I thought.

"no, it's not as good as my refurb'd modded sansui tu-x1, but the law of diminishing returns is definitely in effect here.     and, no, i am not praising the tu717 yust cuz i am willing to sell mine".

It never occurred to me that you were....but I suppose it's something to consider.

Again, thanks for the info.
no, tu717's are extremely common.  getting one local in excellent condition is always your best bet, imo.  (also, tu517's are pretty-much identical, except for the fact that they do not have the record-calibrate tone switch; these usually sell for less cuz many folks don't know they are the same as the 717.)

re: my praise of something, i always believe i (or anyone) should disclose anything that could be perceived as bias or being self-serving, when commenting about how good or bad something is...

ymmv,

doug s.