Tuner Cabinets

1ZIP

Tuner Cabinets
« on: 5 Oct 2012, 02:35 am »
I have a mint MR78 without the wood cabinet that some of them have.  I am not looking for an original cabinet but a replacement one.  Does anyone have suggestions as to where to have a good quality cabinet built?

Thanks

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Tuner Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2012, 09:06 pm »

Whitese

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2012, 09:09 pm »
http://mcintoshcabinets.com/

I agree with the choice above...I had 2 of his cabs and they are superb!

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2012, 10:39 pm »
Hi Izip,I made 3 (Downeast)style cabinets for Dynaco tuners and such.I have the pictures in my computer but don't know how to get them on this site.I've tried copy and paste to no avail.If you can e-mail me or give me a brief  lesson I would like to show you the pics and see if you might like one for the Mac 78.I can e-mail forward the pics,I think they came out pretty good..Mark Korda (mark.korda@myfairpoint.net)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2012, 01:21 am »
Lower left hand corner from this text block (right above Notify me of replies) is Upload and insert an image.
Click on that
Click on Browse
 pick the photo from you computer
and then the lower right hand button will be Upload and Insert image.
click on that and viola!, here it is.

In this case we have a lizard but you get the idea.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2012, 04:55 am »

Steve,I think that the pictures might go thru....thanks,if they do I will tell what makes them unique to me living in Portland Maine all my life.Thanks for your help..Mark Korda

1ZIP

« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2012, 05:24 pm »
I agree with the choice above...I had 2 of his cabs and they are superb

Thanks guys, Matt got the nod, just what I was looking for, should have it in about 3 weeks.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2012, 03:40 am »
http://mcintoshcabinets.com/

those cabinets look sweet!  but for 1/3 the price of the cabinet you could buy a complete tuna that will sound so much better than the mr78, it isn't even funny.  just sayin...   8)

doug s.

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2012, 04:54 pm »
In my location getting a signal takes precedent over the sonics.  In that respect my modded 78 does very well and and the sound is not bad either.  My modded 717 has a nice sound, but from a sensitivity standpoint it can't match the 78.  At some point I would like to hear what a modified 919 sounds like.  But for now I'm happy with the two units and they serve their purpose very well.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2012, 02:54 am »
In my location getting a signal takes precedent over the sonics.  In that respect my modded 78 does very well and and the sound is not bad either.  My modded 717 has a nice sound, but from a sensitivity standpoint it can't match the 78.  At some point I would like to hear what a modified 919 sounds like.  But for now I'm happy with the two units and they serve their purpose very well.

yup, the mr78 is known for reception abilities.  keep your eyes peeled for a rotel rht-10 or rt990bx, which is basically the same thing w/o the frills.  when properly refurb'd, (mods are even better), the sound of my rht-10 is as good as my modded refurb'd sansui tu-x1, and reception is better than any tuna i have ever used, w/the exception of the ubiquitous sony xdr-f1h.  and its reception is wery close to the xdr's.  (if used w/a tube buffer, even the li'l sony sounds better than the s/s macs, imo; and while i have never tried a modded xdr, mods are also supposed to make these much more sonically friendly.)

i owned a mint mr74 and a refurb'd mr77, which even richard modaferri says has better sonics than the mr78.  out of over 100 tunas i have owned over the past 25 years, there is a small list of tuna that i can count on one hand that i would not be able to live with due to mediocre sonics.  the mr74 & mr77 both qualify for that list...

but, you must understand - i am an fm junkie and 90% of my listening is to fm...

ymmv,

doug s.,

presently listening to the excellent sonics of a never serviced nikko gamma 1.  fabulous tuna, usually cheap...