really dynamic speakers....this this the future?

drphoto

really dynamic speakers....this this the future?
« on: 25 Nov 2009, 12:25 am »
I'm beginning to think that me, and a number or other people are realising that one key to realistic playback are speakers that can really do dynamics. Hence the move to pro audio based speakers, such as the Gedlee, GR Venue (or whatever)

Quality woofer systems, like the GR servo ( I hesitate to even call them subs) do not call attention to themselves, but integrate quite nicely. But they can only get you so far.

The mains must do their part.

Is the day of the traditional 'audiophile' approved speaker over? I love my Merlin TSM-MMe's. They are very nice, but despite my review, they don't sound like 'real' music. They sound like really good speakers.

I really liked my modded Maggies, but I think they were even more dynamically challanged ....hence my move to the Merlins.

I'm listening in a very large, unusual room so maybe my requirements may be different.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2009, 11:58 am by drphoto »

Russell Dawkins

Re: really dynamic speakers....this this the future?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2009, 12:32 am »
I agree with this.  I think dynamics are the new frontier in speaker design.

Dynamic capability coupled with a measure of tonal accuracy and affordability is the new paradigm.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2009, 01:49 am »

You Betcha !!!   :dance:

RoCKeT_RoNnY

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2009, 04:35 am »
As high quality digitial signal processing becomes more affordable, we'll probably start to see fairly sophisiticated equalization/correction capability built into affordable preamps and integrated amps.

Two things that DSP cannot fix are the thermal and mechanical compression characteristics of a loudspeaker (in other words, its dynamics), and its radiation pattern.  So in my opinion getting those two things right is a good idea.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2009, 04:39 am »
Another speaker company that comes to mind is Daedalus. If you have heard Lou's speakers, you will understand the comments made above.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2009, 07:35 am »
As high quality digitial signal processing becomes more affordable, we'll probably start to see fairly sophisiticated equalization/correction capability built into affordable preamps and integrated amps.

Let's hope so Duke.  I think you are correct.

Dan