Best main speakers, new or used, under $2000

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Best main speakers, new or used, under $2000
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2009, 11:58 pm »
I third (fourth?) the RM30's previously mentioned.

gkinberg

« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2009, 05:40 am »
Wow, this is a very lively ?circle?. I?m very impressed with all of the responses to my post. In reply to lonewolfny42?s question, I am rebuilding my system from the ground up. Currently I have a Yamaha RX-V730 A/V receiver, Panasonic DVD player and some boston acoustics micro 100x satellite speakers.

After the front speaker addition, I?ll add an upgraded A/V receiver and most likely a three channel amp to power the front 3. Probably 125 ? 200 watts/channel. Hope that helps some.

I realize that there is no perfect speaker and probably no best speaker, especially at the higher price points. However, I assumed that near the 2K price point there would likely be several pearls, far above the mass majority. I had identified a few of the speakers recommended here but many are new to me so you?ve given me some homework to do.

I also feel like a jerk going into audio shops to audition speakers that I can?t afford new with the idea of purchasing used.

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2009, 11:41 pm »
Hi Garth- PM sent. 
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2009, 08:33 am by fritzspeakers »

drphoto

« Reply #23 on: 26 Nov 2009, 05:29 am »
You've probably heard this before, but speakers are a very personal thing. It depends on what you value. I've always liked the sound of British speakers such as ProAc, but some people hate 'em because they're not necessarily accurate.

I was chatting w/ a tech at the hospital tonight who comes in to repair some of our electronic stuff. He was telling me how happy he was w/ a Bose soundbar he just got. Now who the hell am I to make snide comments about Bose to him? He likes, so be it.

That being said, I'll second the Lorelei. Does little wrong and a steal at $1.5K. If I had the money, I'd drive to MD to pick 'em up.

srb

« Reply #24 on: 26 Nov 2009, 06:28 am »
I also feel like a jerk going into audio shops to audition speakers that I can't afford new with the idea of purchasing used.

You feel like that because you would be a jerk knowing you aren't going to buy it from them.

I know some people who do that.  They also go to car dealers for test drives, knowing they are going to buy the car from a broker.  One in particular more than once has bought a tool at a store, used it for a particular task, then returned it.

They're jerks.

Steve

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #25 on: 26 Nov 2009, 12:43 pm »
gkinberg,

Go listen with favorite music in hand.  There is no reason to think that you have to buy new.
Your local dealer would love your support...
If you find a pair of spkrs that you really like but are over your budget, offer to buy the demo pair.

mfsoa

« Reply #26 on: 26 Nov 2009, 01:29 pm »
OP,

If you tell us where you are located, I'm sure you'd get offers to come hear different setups in the owner's home.

I'd certainly be willing to let you hear what a pr of VR4JRs can do  (you'll like...  :drool:)

-Mike

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #27 on: 26 Nov 2009, 01:35 pm »
I agree with the idea of listening to speakers at a dealer and then buy used elsewhere...Jerky.
Yesterday I stopped at a local hi-end shop and listened to some Magnepans 12s. If I buy them I will buy from the sales guy who spent time with me.
The Maggies were very impressive and definitely worth a listen for speakers in your price range if you have the room.

fsimms

« Reply #28 on: 26 Nov 2009, 03:30 pm »
Reading your requirements, I also recommend the Salk Songtowers!  I have never heard better imaging in any speaker under $10k.  The voice is pure magic.  When blended with a sub, they are just incredible.

Bob

Wayner

« Reply #29 on: 26 Nov 2009, 03:39 pm »
Salk Songtowers, also. Easy to drive. Beautiful.

Wayner

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #30 on: 26 Nov 2009, 03:46 pm »
Mike has a great setup Very good sounding system. I wish i could have got some more time with it at the last rave before they switched amps. At the used price range the  VR4JRs are very hard to beat well worth a listen

Ed

OP,

If you tell us where you are located, I'm sure you'd get offers to come hear different setups in the owner's home.

I'd certainly be willing to let you hear what a pr of VR4JRs can do  (you'll like...  :drool:)

-Mike

Pez

« Reply #31 on: 26 Nov 2009, 04:35 pm »
RM30s without question.

Will2

« Reply #32 on: 26 Nov 2009, 04:39 pm »
You might consider a pair of Gedlee Nathan speakers http://www.gedlee.com/Nathan.htm .  They are also taked about in this thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74098.msg699128;topicseen#new

If you can do some DIY they are right on your budget new.  If you are patient you might find some come up used in your budget eventually too.  I haven't heard them myself but I do have a pair of Audiokinesis Dream Makers that use a very similar approach.  You could touch base with toobluvr too - his speakers might be similar.

Another option for you to consider.

Cheers
Will
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2009, 07:01 pm by Will2 »

bunky

« Reply #33 on: 26 Nov 2009, 06:52 pm »
Odyssey Audio Lorelei

These are a $2700 loudspeaker but there currently are 2 sets on Audiogon, $1800 & $1500. The trademark of these loudspeakers which require minimal toe-in are an expansive soundstage, sweet dynamic midrange, smooth highs and a solid bass from the rear ported cabinet. If you have the room to give these loudspeakers 3 feet from the front wall, then no subwoofer will be required. But you can always use one as I do which only enhances the midrange dynamics. While not the most highly accurate sound as say a Salk loudspeaker, the Lorelei is highly musical and will draw you into it's sound stage. :dance:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1261935278&/Odyssey-Audio-Lorelei-reduced-
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1263270609&/Odyssey-Kismet/Lorelei-Speaker

Cheers,
Robin
The Lorelei's are a steal even at retail price :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 26 Nov 2009, 10:24 pm »
You might consider a pair of Gedlee Nathan speakers http://www.gedlee.com/Nathan.htm .  They are also taked about in this thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74098.msg699128;topicseen#new

If you can do some DIY they are right on your budget new...

I'd love to hear these. :thumb:  Based on what I have read, these do it unlike everything else - without the need for expensive high end electronics. 

emac

« Reply #35 on: 26 Nov 2009, 10:53 pm »
As long as you can get them a good 3 feet off of any wall, I would go with the GR Research O-3's. 

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=119

These are truly lovely omni-directional speakers w/ a gorgeous soundstage.  They are listed as -3dB is 50Hz but dig well into the 30Hz range for myself as well as Danny.  So, a sub is optional. 

These are typically DIY speakers, though an AudioCircle member, blazin, is trying to sell his.  I have no idea why he hasn't been able to sell them.  I guess people aren't familiar with the strengths of omnidirectional speakers, but once you've heard a good pair, it's hard to go back to anything else. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73748.0

gkinberg

« Reply #36 on: 29 Nov 2009, 01:41 am »
OP,

-Mike
I'm in San Diego CA and would love to listen to peoples setups if they would be willing to let me into their homes. Please PM me or post to this thread if you are in the SD area and willing. 

It seems that a couple of the more popular speakers on this thread are the VM-30s and the salk songtowers. I have already hunted down a pair of the songtowers in my area and they are frankly one of my front runners but I am still open to listen to comparibly great speakers. One last caveat is that the speakers will likely go close to the wall and therefore need to be forgiving and easy to place so please keep that in mind when posting your suggestion.

Thanks, Garth

JoshK

goskers

« Reply #38 on: 29 Nov 2009, 02:05 am »
Geddes Nathan's, hands down.

Pick up a couple of the cheapest subs that you can find and you are in for a dramatic system.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #39 on: 29 Nov 2009, 08:14 am »
JoshK, goskers, or anyone else -

Have you had the opportunity to hear Nathans alongside Abbeys?

I know the Abbeys have all the typical attributes of larger speakers over the Nathan in terms of higher efficiency, power handling and greater bass extension, but it wouldn't be the first time that a junior sibling sounded better.

The response curves, as far as they can be interpreted given the differing presentations, favor the Nathans in some respects, like general amplitude linearity. So I'm wondering - if you can live without the extra loudness potential do the Nathans actually sound better in some ways?