PHL drivers

ricardojoa

PHL drivers
« on: 7 Feb 2012, 04:21 am »
hello Jim,
I noticed that you only use the PHL drivers on the pharos and archos series. Are PHL drivers appropriate for a 2 way high sensitivity bookshelf speaker capable of the transparency of the veracity series? In others words, could a HT1 be built with the PHL drivers to create higher sensitivity?

jsalk

• Facilitator
    • Salk Signature Sound
Re: PHL drivers
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2012, 01:16 pm »
hello Jim,
I noticed that you only use the PHL drivers on the pharos and archos series. Are PHL drivers appropriate for a 2 way high sensitivity bookshelf speaker capable of the transparency of the veracity series? In others words, could a HT1 be built with the PHL drivers to create higher sensitivity?

The practical answer is no.  The PHL drivers we used are basically midrange drivers.  The don't play low enough to to use as a woofer.  There are larger PHL drivers that you might use, but the cabinets become very large and they still don't play all that deep.

If you look at the Archos, for example, the 12" woofer is more along the lines of what you would use in a 2-way.  And even then, in a stand-mounted cabinet, you would probably not get bass much below 50 Hz.  If you wanted deeper bass, you would have to use a VERY large floor-standing cabinet.

It's all about physics.  Hoffman's law says higher sensitivity = larger cabinets and more limited bass extension.  Here is link to a blog I wrote on this topic.
http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=56

- Jim

ricardojoa

Re: PHL drivers
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm »
Allright Jim,
Too bad there is no loophole in that law  :lol:
thank you for the explanation.
Great article by the way.