United Home Audio

carusoracer

United Home Audio
« on: 13 Jun 2006, 06:19 pm »
Anyone visited or affiliated with the store? United Home Audio.

I will be traveling that way next Friday and would luv to hear the MBL and Audio Aero,Blue Note gear.  8)
Can anyone give me the lowdown or whom to talk to? I do not want to go in without the inside connection so to speak.

Thanks for the help

DTB300

United Home Audio
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2006, 12:59 pm »
Been there a couple of times.  Very "pro" Tube and Vinyl with Jolida and Clear Audio.   Some nice sounding setups there with two listening rooms.  

Take the time to also listen to the new Heil speakers - interesting speakers.  

One day I stopped in to talk about cables and the owner was there, came walking out of the back assembly/repair room with a cup of coffee, flip-flops - very casual atmosphere.  We talked for a bit and he gave me some great advice on some products which were not products he carried.

There are some other great stores in the area that I am sure others will jump in a recommend you stop by and listen.

Dan

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
United Home Audio
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2006, 02:58 pm »
United Home Audio is in the same building as Jolida themselves. In fact, they are right next door.
 I have never been there but they appear to have some very nice equipment and will take the time to let you listen and answer your questions from what I have heard from other customers that have visited them.
 You might even be able to pop over and talk to Mike Allen and the crew of Jolida. If you do, tell'em I said hello.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
United Home Audio
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2006, 04:54 pm »
United Home Audio is a seperate entity from Jolida. The store you see there is the front of the Jolida factory, as it is. The owner you met in flip flops is Mike Allen, who, for all intents and purposes, is Jolida. Mike is one of the most friendly guys you will ever meet. However, if you go and decide to talk audio with Mike, be prepaired to stay awhile. To say Mike is "chatty" would be an understatement! :) I work down the road from them and have popped in quite often for the last few years. The store is actually run by a friend of Mike's but if you pop in, your more likely to actually run into Mike, he seems to be there more than anyone else. If you want an earfull, ask Mike about Jolida mods, Ipods, digital amps or most any other audio related topic! Great guy. :)

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
Re: United Home Audio
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2006, 10:31 am »
So, just curious, did you make the trip? See anything interesting? Did Mike Allen talk your ears off? :)

Phil A

Re: United Home Audio
« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2006, 05:10 pm »
I believe they are in business with Jolida.  I know a couple of people who bought stuff and were not all that thrilled (and were told Jolida owns half of it).  One went to another Jolida dealer to get info (pretty much once the sale is done unless they think you are going to be a big future customer they ignore you) and I helped him set the bias on his amp.  I went there once.  Not very nice from a business point to undercut your dealer network (if you go to audiogon.com there are ads under zip '201' - Northern VA, where the owner lives vs. the store location - they don't want to highlight teh fact they're jerking around their dealers to a bit I guess).  At the time of my visit I did not know about the other peoples so-so experience with them.  I was so unimpressed (with the owner - not that their equipment was bad), I asked around and found out afterwards.  Probably 60% of what was on their floor was Jolida and much of the rest may be destined for perhaps not being available on the US market for a long period (stuff many more steady dealers would not want).  If I was interested in their stuff (Jolida) , I'd go to Deja Vu in Mclean.  They are closer, specialize in tubes and have a good reputation.  I think it may be known a bit in the industry that Jolida owns part of it and that probably means they can't get certain things and that's also why there are ads under a different zip on Audiogon.