2013 Capitol Audio Fest

this_is_vv

Re: 2013 Capitol Audio Fest
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jul 2013, 05:26 pm »
I'm sure John Gatski of Everything Audio Network will have his Benchmark DSD capable DAC there.  During this past week I put some DSD, other hi-rez and regular CD quality files on a thumb drive to take with me (did one CD too of just CD quality stuff).  There tentatively (there's a thread about it already) will be a get together at my place (last concensus was Sept 21 or Sept 28) where I have the Meitner DAC and lots of DSD files if there is not enough for anyone to sample at the Capital Audiofest.

I am looking for one specfic dsd file...btw should we bring music on USB or on CD to show?

Stimela coal train.....

V

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #41 on: 24 Jul 2013, 05:27 pm »
Phil,

Let's do a shootout between MA1 and 2X.  I am curious about the difference.

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 24 Jul 2013, 05:56 pm »
I am looking for one specfic dsd file...btw should we bring music on USB or on CD to show?

Stimela coal train.....

V

Don't believe I have that one.  I took individual songs I had from albums on the PC (vs. the music server in the main system) which I thought should be good along whatever else I thought might interesting.  I have about a whole 4MB thumb drive full of stuff.  If someone has an Oppo 103 or 105 at the show with the latest firmware, it can play DSD files too.  A CD can only hold a limited amount so I stuck 16 CD quality (in FLAC) cuts on a disc.  Not sure what different vendors' will bring.  Scott indicated he will have his HAL MS-2 music server in one of the Modwright/Daedalus rooms.  I know he has Foobar installed but I'm not sure if he has the DSD plug in.  HAL said he would be there on Friday and perhaps he can be persuaded to help so we'll have DSD for the weekend (I use JRiver for DSD and have Foobar installed on my MS-2 but have not gotten to look at the instructions for DSD - if I remember I'll bring them - did post what I read is required on one thread recently).

Phil A

« Reply #43 on: 24 Jul 2013, 05:58 pm »
Phil,

Let's do a shootout between MA1 and 2X.  I am curious about the difference.

Rim - sounds goods.  I guess in a few weeks, I'll firm up the date in Sept (I'll be away Labor Day week so I'll do it in August) based on the concensus.  If anyone else has another DSD DAC, we can do that too.

this_is_vv

« Reply #44 on: 24 Jul 2013, 06:06 pm »
Don't believe I have that one.  I took individual songs I had from albums on the PC (vs. the music server in the main system) which I thought should be good along whatever else I thought might interesting.  I have about a whole 4MB thumb drive full of stuff.  If someone has an Oppo 103 or 105 at the show with the latest firmware, it can play DSD files too.  A CD can only hold a limited amount so I stuck 16 CD quality (in FLAC) cuts on a disc.  Not sure what different vendors' will bring.  Scott indicated he will have his HAL MS-2 music server in one of the Modwright/Daedalus rooms.  I know he has Foobar installed but I'm not sure if he has the DSD plug in.  HAL said he would be there on Friday and perhaps he can be persuaded to help so we'll have DSD for the weekend (I use JRiver for DSD and have Foobar installed on my MS-2 but have not gotten to look at the instructions for DSD - if I remember I'll bring them - did post what I read is required on one thread recently).

I think you mean 4gb thumb drive :)

I plan to listen only one song and see how the speakers react to it then I sit and listen for more time

Last time Joseph audio was sharp and crisp but too crisp for me

I like he aj room and had fun time talking to people from diyaudip room

Phil A

« Reply #45 on: 24 Jul 2013, 06:23 pm »
Yes - what I meant :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #46 on: 24 Jul 2013, 06:26 pm »
I grabbed an empty 4GB one and quickly went through things the other day so there's plenty of demo material at my fingertips.  I guess I'll bring my pink noise disc too if anyone needs the RTA on the iPhone with it for set-up of the rooms.

Phil A

« Reply #47 on: 24 Jul 2013, 06:50 pm »
Just remembered that Scott may not have a DSD DAC in the Modwright/Daedalus room.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #48 on: 24 Jul 2013, 07:00 pm »
Phil,
According to the Oppo website specs for the BDP-105, it only supports PCM audio format via the USB input. 

The MS-2 has the Foobar2000 components installed to play DSD as PCM at 24bit/176.4KHz.

To playback DSD files they have to be on a FAT32 formatted thumb drive and the Oppo needs the latest firmware installed to do it.   

DTB300

« Reply #49 on: 24 Jul 2013, 07:18 pm »
To playback DSD files they have to be on a FAT32 formatted thumb drive and the Oppo needs the latest firmware installed to do it.   
Correct.   And works as advertised.

Phil A

« Reply #50 on: 24 Jul 2013, 07:35 pm »
Phil,
According to the Oppo website specs for the BDP-105, it only supports PCM audio format via the USB input. 

The MS-2 has the Foobar2000 components installed to play DSD as PCM at 24bit/176.4KHz.

Rich was aware of that.  I advised Scott when I was over his place a couple of months back about the DSD update and sent him the link about the Oppo update shortly after my visit.  That's why I noted in the previous post that I realized Scott won't have a DAC (USB) where DSD can be played.  The Oppo sounds good as a DAC and between that what Modwright has the DSD files on my thumb drive can be played back at 24/176.  I have not compared that to DSD doing that but from last year the MS-1 sounded good playing them back that way.  I have some PCM hi-rez in my system taken from the SACDs at 24/88 and the DSD does sound better.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #51 on: 24 Jul 2013, 08:40 pm »
Phil, I did get the latest firmware update.  My unmodded Oppo 105 will be paired with ModWright's new DAC in the big room on the first floor.  I will have the modded 105 in the 6th floor room.  Fwiw, I'm bringing some of my sacd's to the show.

Phil A

« Reply #52 on: 24 Jul 2013, 11:13 pm »
Phil, I did get the latest firmware update.  My unmodded Oppo 105 will be paired with ModWright's new DAC in the big room on the first floor.  I will have the modded 105 in the 6th floor room.  Fwiw, I'm bringing some of my sacd's to the show.

Scott, looking forward to hear it.  I plan on being there around lunch time on Friday, grabbing something to eat first.

tonyptony

« Reply #53 on: 25 Jul 2013, 12:30 am »
I'm not yet if I will go down on Saturday. Is the online ticketing good through Friday evening, or will I have to do the ticket purchasing live at the show after the Friday start?

Phil A

« Reply #54 on: 25 Jul 2013, 01:40 am »
I'm not yet if I will go down on Saturday. Is the online ticketing good through Friday evening, or will I have to do the ticket purchasing live at the show after the Friday start?

They usually have a desk set up and you can purchase tickets any day of the show.  Obviously with the price for the whole weekend, it is better if you spend more than one day there, and with the number of rooms and exhibitors, it is too much to take in a whole lot a short period of time, unless of course there is limited rooms you wish to visit

tonyptony

« Reply #55 on: 25 Jul 2013, 02:07 am »
They usually have a desk set up and you can purchase tickets any day of the show.  Obviously with the price for the whole weekend, it is better if you spend more than one day there, and with the number of rooms and exhibitors, it is too much to take in a whole lot a short period of time, unless of course there is limited rooms you wish to visit

I was hoping that if I decide Friday night to go the next day I'd still be able to use the online ticket purchase. It would save me a little bit of hassle once I got there.

I agree it's a lot for one day, but since I've been to the RMAFs and the two NYASes it would be a more focused visit that I think I could do on Saturday.

Phil A

« Reply #56 on: 25 Jul 2013, 02:14 am »
I was hoping that if I decide Friday night to go the next day I'd still be able to use the online ticket purchase. It would save me a little bit of hassle once I got there.

I agree it's a lot for one day, but since I've been to the RMAFs and the two NYASes it would be a more focused visit that I think I could do on Saturday.

I'm not sure where you are seeing an online purchase?  http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/p722.html

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #57 on: 25 Jul 2013, 02:33 am »
Looking forward to the show & will be there most all days for the entire day.  Friday going with Scotty (not to be confused w/ Scottdazzle) + a non AC friend.  Looking forward also to seeing some MAAC member again & meeting other MAAC & AC members for the first time. Though it occurs to me that for some of the latter we would not know what the other looks like......

Perhaps one thought (rather than something painful like name tags) is suggesting a rally point / time @ to head out for lunch / dinner? Post raffle @ the lobby often seems to cover dinner potentials, but for lunch that could be more variable.  Lobby @ noon next to reception?  No pressure / commitment.......just a suggested time.  How was this handled in years past?

Phil A

« Reply #58 on: 25 Jul 2013, 02:47 am »
Looking forward to the show & will be there most all days for the entire day.  Friday going with Scotty (not to be confused w/ Scottdazzle) + a non AC friend.  Looking forward also to seeing some MAAC member again & meeting other MAAC & AC members for the first time. Though it occurs to me that for some of the latter we would not know what the other looks like......

Perhaps one thought (rather than something painful like name tags) is suggesting a rally point / time @ to head out for lunch / dinner? Post raffle @ the lobby often seems to cover dinner potentials, but for lunch that could be more variable.  Lobby @ noon next to reception?  No pressure / commitment.......just a suggested time.  How was this handled in years past?

Jon - Lobby at noon sounds good.  I plan on getting there around that time.  I'll be wearing my old man halloween costume with the white hair piece so you'll recognize me :lol:  At dinner it's been pretty much organized like that usual by the social director mix4fix.  It has been not as organized for lunch (maybe we should fire him? 8))  For lunch it usually is whoever you run into.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #59 on: 25 Jul 2013, 03:00 am »
Jon - Lobby at noon sounds good.  I plan on getting there around that time.  I'll be wearing my old man halloween costume with the white hair piece so you'll recognize me :lol:  At dinner it's been pretty much organized like that usual by the social director mix4fix.  It has been not as organized for lunch (maybe we should fire him? 8))  For lunch it usually is whoever you run into.

Didn't we decide on that deli/café place?