• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade
« Reply #21 on: 4 Dec 2019, 07:01 pm »
Duplicate.

Tyson

« Reply #22 on: 4 Dec 2019, 07:03 pm »
Well, this reminds me - I have a stock set of Klipsch Heresy III's in my upstairs system.... Kind of makes me want to drive down to Texas and have Danny work his magic on them....

And I just realized I have a 2 week break from work this year over Christmas.  Hmmmm....

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 4 Dec 2019, 07:07 pm »
Maty, please start a new topic post for unrelated or new material.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 4 Dec 2019, 07:08 pm »
Well, this reminds me - I have a stock set of Klipsch Heresy III's in my upstairs system.... Kind of makes me want to drive down to Texas and have Danny work his magic on them....

And I just realized I have a 2 week break from work this year over Christmas.  Hmmmm....

Looks like you also have a room treatment project ahead of you as well.  :lol:

Tyson

« Reply #25 on: 4 Dec 2019, 07:13 pm »
Looks like you also have a room treatment project ahead of you as well.  :lol:

Hah!  No doubt.  I just ordered a bunch of nice shag carpet and thick felt padding for the room, should be here in a week.  I'm also going to build some large acoustic panels to put on the wall, 3 inches thick, using recycled blue jeans material for absorption.  I've commissioned my daughter to put some custom artwork onto the panels.  Those might take a bit longer though...

maty

« Reply #26 on: 4 Dec 2019, 07:13 pm »
Deleted

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #27 on: 4 Dec 2019, 09:37 pm »

I’ve owned an old pair of Klipsch Heresy II and they benefited considerably from adding No Rez to the unbraced cabinet, replacing the cheap pieces of internal foam with poly fill and of course, replacing the poor quality crossover components that came with it. 
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2019, 11:01 pm by corndog71 »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #28 on: 5 Dec 2019, 12:02 am »
Danny, if we took a picture of our crossovers could you give us an idea of what we would need to upgrade all the parts? I can change out caps but the conductors I would have no idea what I would need.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 5 Dec 2019, 12:09 am »
Danny, if we took a picture of our crossovers could you give us an idea of what we would need to upgrade all the parts? I can change out caps but the conductors I would have no idea what I would need.

Yeah, you can e-mail me that.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #30 on: 5 Dec 2019, 12:13 am »
Yeah, you can e-mail me that.

Ok great! I’m about to mod my Klipsch 396 speakers and when I do I want to upgrade the wiring inside and all the crossover parts. Thanks Danny

Norman Tracy

« Reply #31 on: 5 Dec 2019, 07:27 pm »
Danny, great YouTube and AudioCircle series on hot rodding the RP-600M. The spectral decay plots plots show you picked a good base for the mod. This weeks video revealing the quality of the enclosure that Klipsch can afford to use at the $600 retail price point is kind of shocking educational. In a way seeing so much of the budget go to getting the outside looking good while the inside has glue runs and little bracing or damping is a good thing for a DIY base. Cutting and installing No Rez is WAY easier for the DIY beginner compared to tight joints and a paint job of that quality.

Before you are done with this series I would like to hear how in the Klipsch and GR crossovers baffle step correction is accomplished.

Jon L

« Reply #32 on: 10 Dec 2019, 02:11 am »

1209191658 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Breaking them in now, but there is NO WAY their sensitivity is anywhere NEAR the claimed 96dB@2.8V/1m like Klipsch spec sheet says.  :nono:
Btw, what's the progress on the upgrade package?

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 10 Dec 2019, 04:28 am »
Breaking them in now, but there is NO WAY their sensitivity is anywhere NEAR the claimed 96dB@2.8V/1m like Klipsch spec sheet says.  :nono:
Btw, what's the progress on the upgrade package?[/quote

Is that how high they rate them?

The real sensitivity can be seen here.

The upgrade is done and turned out pretty nice.

$209 for everything plus shipping....

Two more Youtube videos coming on them. The next one airs tomorrow. It's on crossover assembly.

Johnhogie

« Reply #34 on: 11 Dec 2019, 03:16 am »
I'm sure I just missed it... Where is the link to purchase the upgrade?

maty

« Reply #35 on: 11 Dec 2019, 11:04 am »
YouTube: Upgrade your Klipsch RP-600M! pt.2

One question. What tin do you recommend. The usual or one more audiophile, with silver (and percentage). I used normal tin and flux with the tweeter bypass.

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 11 Dec 2019, 01:59 pm »
I'm sure I just missed it... Where is the link to purchase the upgrade?

Call GR Research at 940-592-3400.

nickd

« Reply #37 on: 11 Dec 2019, 04:16 pm »
From Norman Tracy,
"Before you are done with this series I would like to hear how in the Klipsch and GR crossovers baffle step correction is accomplished."

Baffle step correction/compensation is a bit of mystery to most of us. I second the request.
We would also enjoy hearing your strategy and opinions on floor bounce for those who live in the Monitor world.  We know there are controlled directivity designs out there ie Line Source & CBT arrays.
I have enjoyed both. However, most of us are size regulated to monitors, Floor standing monitors etc. The side to side dispersion patterns are understood by many of us. Dealing with floor cancellations and bumps. Not so easy.

The Klipsch 600 project is a great one. Affordable and a great size. Hope they sound amazing & can't wait to read Jon's thoughts on them with the upgrades.

Personally I've been wondering how you could take the new Klipsch Forte to new heights. Almost bought a pair of those a few months back to send your way. I have a sweet affection for horns after living with Altec's for a few years. The new Forte looks like a good starting platform/price point for regular DIY upgrade folk. Especially if buying used.  :thumb: With a bit of No-Rez and crossover upgrades, might end up with something really special for working class money.

mpitogo

« Reply #38 on: 11 Dec 2019, 04:17 pm »
I have a pair, looking forward to the upgrade.

Tyson

« Reply #39 on: 11 Dec 2019, 06:38 pm »
From Norman Tracy,
"Before you are done with this series I would like to hear how in the Klipsch and GR crossovers baffle step correction is accomplished."

Baffle step correction/compensation is a bit of mystery to most of us. I second the request.
We would also enjoy hearing your strategy and opinions on floor bounce for those who live in the Monitor world.  We know there are controlled directivity designs out there ie Line Source & CBT arrays.
I have enjoyed both. However, most of us are size regulated to monitors, Floor standing monitors etc. The side to side dispersion patterns are understood by many of us. Dealing with floor cancellations and bumps. Not so easy.

The Klipsch 600 project is a great one. Affordable and a great size. Hope they sound amazing & can't wait to read Jon's thoughts on them with the upgrades.

Personally I've been wondering how you could take the new Klipsch Forte to new heights. Almost bought a pair of those a few months back to send your way. I have a sweet affection for horns after living with Altec's for a few years. The new Forte looks like a good starting platform/price point for regular DIY upgrade folk. Especially if buying used.  :thumb: With a bit of No-Rez and crossover upgrades, might end up with something really special for working class money.

Well, you're in luck!  I'm making a trip to Danny's in a couple of weeks and bringing my new Klipsch Forte IIIs for a full ride upgrade!  Should be a hell of a lot of fun.  I also have a couple of crazy ideas I want to try out while I'm there....