Help Please

shanep

Help Please
« on: 14 Oct 2020, 11:53 pm »
Does anyone know why my amp is getting hot and cutting off and back on quickly My receiver is doing it as welll. I don't have it plugged  into a designated circuit like it was before i am in the middle of a remodel and the 20 amp 10 awg designated i not hoocked up yet its on a normal 14  15 amp.

thanks shane   

richidoo

Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2020, 01:53 am »
If it's happening with two different amps driving the same speakers then I think the speaker's load impedance is too low, likely due to incorrect wiring in the speakers, a shorted voice coil, etc. The low impedance draws too much current from the amp, triggering the amp's self protection feature to engage in order to protect the amps.

DATS tool from partsexpress easily measures the speaker's load impedance to make sure it's safe for amplifiers.

shanep

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2020, 02:08 am »
are you saying incorrect connections

are you saying in corrections

/

Skilly

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2020, 08:21 am »
I think Rich is on to something here about your speakers. Perhaps you can share more info on them. What is their age? How long have you had them? Have they been modified? Have you ever opened them up and examined the crossover? What is the makeup and condition of the binding posts? Have you inspected the speaker wires for shorts or scarring? Little nicks can cause problems.

Scott

shanep

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2020, 01:45 pm »
The speakers are Klipsch KG 2.5 that I have had 25 years. The were my rear speakers in my HT system so they have not been worked hard .I normally use my KG 5.5 but they were defiantly having cross over issues so im boxing one up to send to Danny . I use bare wire into the binding post so im going to check all my connections but iim thinking its poor power coming out of the wall

thank you everyone its greatly appreciated   

Shaane

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2020, 03:29 pm »
The electrical service is probably fine. https://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/mybusiness/customerservice/energystatus/powerquality/voltage_tolerance.pdfarticle
You can check voltage across the spade slots of your amp's power outlet. If it's 115-125 then you're good. If it's low replace your multimeter battery before calling utility. ;) 

Power supply voltage variations will not cause the amp to overheat or go into protection. What causes heat and cutoff is at the output of the amp. Too much current and heat (assuming it happens on two different, healthy amps) can only be caused by too low load impedance. The problem is you are trying to drive a very low impedance, probably a short circuit. Klipsch KG 2.5 nominal impedance is 8ohms, so either the speaker cables are shorted, or one or both speakers are broken.

EDIT:
Klipsch expert website might be helpful: https://critesspeakers.com/
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/146749-help-with-kg-25-crossovers/
/edit

Good luck!
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2020, 08:32 pm by richidoo »

shanep

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2020, 08:41 pm »
Thank you