NCore and Power Conditioning

mr_bill

NCore and Power Conditioning
« on: 17 Jan 2013, 09:01 pm »
I have read that many owners are plugging straight into the wall but I would like real life experience from the NCore owner/user group on what you are doing for power conditioning for your amps, if any, and if so, what type of power conditioner you are using and the benefits.

I am using a Torus RM15 with my NCore monos and plugging the amps into the Torus or into an Oyaide power strip - not much difference.

gstew

• Everything Matters!
Re: NCore and Power Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2013, 11:38 pm »
I have several power conditioning options... several DIY Hammond 193L & 193M chokes used as parallel filters, a PS Audio Soloist in-wall filter, and most recently, a PS Audio P10.

When I first started using the NC400, I went back and forth between straight into the wall or in parallel with a 193L & a 193M. With the choke filters they were a bit smoother on the high-end, but slightly less dynamic. I left them into the wall at that time.

I added the Soloist in preparation for the P10. I tried the NC400 into it, heard a bit more reduction of dynamics with similar smoothing in the highs compared to the chokes, and again stuck to straight-in.

Once the P10 arrived, I liked it immediately... smoother highs, more detail & articulation across the spectrum, same or greater dynamics, less change from 'good' powerline times to 'bad' powerline times. I also tried the P10 into the Soloist (as PS recommends) and with the two Hammond chokes in parallel on the input. I didn't think the Soloist added much and still diminished dynamics (only slightly now). The Hammond chokes in front of the P10 added their bit of smoothness with no reduction in dynamics and they've stayed in. Still, the effect of each with the P10 is only a fraction of what it does and I could live happily with just the P10.

Yup, the P10 is expensive and heavy. But it was very worthwhile with the NC400 to my ears.

YMMV.

Greg in Mississippi

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:15 am »
I would like real life experience from the NCore owner/user group on what you are doing for power conditioning for your amps, if any, and if so, what type of power conditioner you are using and the benefits.

I have found that my nCores do best without anything between them and the power feed - and that makes sense, considering the current drive capability and common mode rejection ratio of the nc400/smps600 combination. You really don't want to strangle that with inductors, and there is no need for additional filtering either.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2013, 11:55 am »
I briefly had the NCore tour amps in my second system (vintage Tannoy 12" Golds in custom cabinets) and I found that the use of Pi Audio Rev. B buss (Majik Buss) power conditioner made everything a bit more musical without sacrificing any dynamics whatsoever. The Rev. B did no harm unlike numerous conditioners I've used in the past... first power conditioner I've ever really liked... so good I purchased a tricked-out UberBUSS for my main horn system... YMMV...

My $0.02,
Pete

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2013, 12:13 pm »
+1

I always had my amps whether SS or tube directly into the wall.  Until I purchased my Uberbuss.  Now I have everything plugged into this great piece of gear.  In my system, my NCores plugged into the Uber give up no dynamics that I can hear.  I am also running a Exasound E20 DAC into Ted_b's passive Bent TAP.  The sound is very dynamic and transparent.  I am very happy.  :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2013, 12:32 pm »
In my system, my NCores plugged into the Uber give up no dynamics that I can hear.
+1

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2013, 01:29 pm »
+1

+2. Mine are plugged into the Uber as well.

Best,
Anand.

jonbee

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2013, 03:37 pm »
I use mine a PS Audio power plant premier. Quieter, blacker background, no downside I can hear. I live in a high RF location. The uberbuss sounds like a great alternative also.

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2013, 05:54 pm »
I have found that my nCores do best without anything between them and the power feed - and that makes sense, considering the current drive capability and common mode rejection ratio of the nc400/smps600 combination. You really don't want to strangle that with inductors, and there is no need for additional filtering either.

Good to know, removes the expectations bias and saves money there. Jibes with what's been said all along. Pretty incredible that an amp can do that, straighten itself out. Mine are straight in and I've never heard the quality fluctuate, ever.

(would love to try a 'buss though, at least on my cdp).

*Scotty*

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2013, 07:40 pm »
If anyone remembers, the NC 400 has a pretty effective power inlet filter built into it, which is why some people can use the amp plugged straight into the wall.
Scotty

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2013, 05:26 pm »
I am sure you lost some dynamics with Hammond chokes that are 50ohm... A smaller less effective, lower resistance one might still do a lot of good. I'd be talking about the 10a version.

However there is another thought to have on this... Having my favorite chokes (in the link above) on particularly your other equipment will lower the noise that they NCore amplifiers pickup, even if you don't like the sound of the NCore plugged into one. Furthermore capacitor filtration will add a great deal of tonal smoothness to anything by eliminating substantial amounts of differential mode noise from anything including your own equipment. In this manner I guarantee you'll see benefits. It is all about properly matching chokes, and passively attenuating what can and can not be choked.

Maybe the PS audio plants are better but I wouldn't count on it. They can't offer attenuation of noise from your own components, and I'm skeptical on how much differential noise they can curb. I'd guess the Felicia's being built here on Audiocircle are about equivalent.

Julf

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2013, 05:41 pm »
I am sure you lost some dynamics with Hammond chokes that are 50ohm...

50 ohm serial choke on the power line?

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:19 pm »
50 ohm serial choke on the power line?

That is one of the chokes the OP talked about, yes. 57ohm to be exact.

I get uncomfortable with chokes approach 1ohm.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:28 pm »

Any technical reason why?

Best,
Anand.

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:55 pm »
Any technical reason why?

Best,
Anand.

I use my ears when it comes to power conditioning (no matter how good the technical aspects are). Lower resistance and more headroom (amperage rating) on chokes always seems to sound better and maintain dynamics with amplifiers. I also prefer to use 12ga power cords even for things that use very little power. I guess you could talk about impedance issues, but the ears time and time again repeat the preferred (and purchased) results.

Julf

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2013, 08:15 pm »
That is one of the chokes the OP talked about, yes. 57ohm to be exact.

So how can that work? At full power, a SMPS600 supplying one nc400 needs something like 650W. At 110V that  means 6A, and even at 230 V that would be almost 3 A. Even driving a piece of iron rail connected between the poles, a 57 ohm inductance/resistance would limit the the current to 2 (or 4, in the case of 230 V) A, leaving nothing for the nCore....

For a good reason.

nile49

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2013, 08:11 am »
I thought I would just add that I recently tried the Ncore's with a Powercell 4SE and the results were not good in my system. The sound was compressed and unfocused.

ufokillerz

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:13 pm »
do the people plugging it straight into the walls find any difference in having a switch there

i would think that those plugging straight into the wall will find something hindering performance from say a switch.

i am considering removing my switches, wished there was a way to put in a 12v trigger though

Julf

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:25 pm »
i would think that those plugging straight into the wall will find something hindering performance from say a switch.

Even your typical cheap switch has ample current capability and very low resistance when on. I would be more worried about the wiring to your meter, and between the meter and your nearest distribution transformer...

Airborn

« Reply #19 on: 8 Mar 2013, 03:01 am »
Mine are straight into the wall on dedicated outlets with no switches.  I tried them through my Belkin PureAV PF60 but that didn't work--squashed all the dynamics and micro-details.  My fear now is a lightning storm.... :bomb: