Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

Danny Richie

Re: Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« Reply #100 on: 5 Feb 2012, 07:53 pm »
Couple questions:
1) Can you take a bank-funded payment from Paypal ? Fees should be less than if someone pays you normally with a credit card.

2) Are you starting to run out of any of these yet?

Paypal is not problem. Shoot me an e-mail with your order and shipping info and I'll get you a total with shipping.

I have a LOT of these in stock.

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #101 on: 7 Feb 2012, 01:01 pm »
Can the X-LS work decently in a sealed alignment should you want to go that route? I realize this will effect the efficiency / extension of the low-end.

Sure, .5cubic feet sealed is ideal.

Glad to know that sealed cabinets are possible. Wish these drivers could be used for making boxes similar to A/V-1RS surrounds: http://gr-research.com/av-1rs.aspx for similar application which would've helped us save some top dollars.

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #102 on: 28 Feb 2012, 07:43 am »
Can the X-LS work decently in a sealed alignment should you want to go that route? I realize this will effect the efficiency / extension of the low-end.

Sure, .5cubic feet sealed is ideal.

Hi Danny, could you post the box plan for sealed cabinets?

Danny Richie

« Reply #103 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:59 pm »
Hi Danny, could you post the box plan for sealed cabinets?

Same plans as the ported box just with no port.

We really fudged this model to work on a less than optimal (smaller) ported box just to keep it a mini-monitor. Optimal ported is the small floor standing  X-SLS version. 

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #104 on: 5 Mar 2012, 12:39 am »
if one wanted to make the x-ls encore with the port on the front, could one make the box just tall enough to fit the port or is there a calculation where the depth would change as well.

Yeah, you can make it as tall as you want leaving room for the port. You are just shifting the tuning frequency lower as the box gets bigger.

What if we shift the port to the side? I'm asking because I need to place the speaker as close to the wall as possible.

Danny Richie

« Reply #105 on: 5 Mar 2012, 03:06 am »
What if we shift the port to the side? I'm asking because I need to place the speaker as close to the wall as possible.

No problem.

onyxbfly

« Reply #106 on: 8 Mar 2012, 07:54 pm »
@ Danny, Thank you for sharing your resources and thank you for making yourself available to the DIY community. I have a few  questions.

I have two kits of the x ls encore. I wanted to use them as surrounds.  I would like to know if I can make them sealed for near wall use and not have to mod the corssover. 

If I choose to build them ported will they be fine used near wall?

Last but not least I would like to know if there are any flat packs available.  If so how much would 2 pairs including s/h cost to 19320.

Thanks once again.

Danny Richie

« Reply #107 on: 9 Mar 2012, 03:00 pm »
You can build them sealed, and use the same air space.

If you port them and get them up too close to the wall then you will get some heavier coupling and possibly a peak in the 50 to 55Hz range.

At one time Ruben (Outofthewoods) had cut some flat packs for these. I have no idea if he has any more available.

And welcome to AC.

onyxbfly

« Reply #108 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:55 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me Danny.   When you mentioned that I "may get a peak in the 50 -55Hz range", how does that affect the sound.  I guess you can tell from that question that I am an uber newbie.  I was thinking that I may use these elsewhere instead of surrounds in the future.  If I were to move them elsewhere I didn't want to adversely affect the sound by building them sealed.

Will sealing them affect the sound?

In case your wondering since we never spoke before and I have two x ls encore kits. My fiancee purchased one for me as a Vday gift and I received another from a friend in lieu of payment for some computer work that I did for her.  Nevertheless I look forward to building them!!!!!

Danny Richie

« Reply #109 on: 9 Mar 2012, 05:01 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me Danny.   When you mentioned that I "may get a peak in the 50 -55Hz range", how does that affect the sound.  I guess you can tell from that question that I am an uber newbie.  I was thinking that I may use these elsewhere instead of surrounds in the future.  If I were to move them elsewhere I didn't want to adversely affect the sound by building them sealed.

Will sealing them affect the sound?

In case your wondering since we never spoke before and I have two x ls encore kits. My fiancee purchased one for me as a Vday gift and I received another from a friend in lieu of payment for some computer work that I did for her.  Nevertheless I look forward to building them!!!!!

The peak in the 50 to 55Hz range will make them sound a little bass heavy.

Sealing them rolls off the bottom sooner so that you have less low bass output.

You have a really good fiancee there.  :thumb:

onyxbfly

« Reply #110 on: 9 Mar 2012, 06:43 pm »
She said that you said "she gets points for that!!!" :green: :lol:

Thanks for the clarification.   Another question. Since a port would make them a lil bass heavy, would a slot even them out, sort of like a mix between sealed and ported?

Danny Richie

« Reply #111 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:42 pm »
She said that you said "she gets points for that!!!" :green: :lol:

Thanks for the clarification.   Another question. Since a port would make them a lil bass heavy, would a slot even them out, sort of like a mix between sealed and ported?

A slotted port is the same thing as any other port. It just has a different shape. The end result is the same.

onyxbfly

« Reply #112 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:48 pm »
LOL told you I was a newbie!!! Thanks enjoy your weekend!!

onyxbfly

« Reply #113 on: 12 Mar 2012, 04:01 pm »
Hope you had a great weekend.  I have a couple of questions.  I would like to know if the woofer opening can be counter sunk and have the woofer sit flush like the tweeter. Not sure if it will impact the design and or the intended sound etc. I just think it would look cleaner.

I would also like to know what is the size of the terminal cup that is included with the kit? I want to assume it is the small one but not wanting to assume.

last but not least I think I read that the sides need to be different dimension than what is included on the link for the schematics. If so what is the correct height for the sides?

Thanks once again.

Touré

Danny Richie

« Reply #114 on: 12 Mar 2012, 04:15 pm »
Hope you had a great weekend.  I have a couple of questions.  I would like to know if the woofer opening can be counter sunk and have the woofer sit flush like the tweeter. Not sure if it will impact the design and or the intended sound etc. I just think it would look cleaner.

No, the woofers are surface mount, and the woofer has a tapered frame that makes them look very clean.

Plus the woofer frame overlaps onto the tweeter (sets slightly over it) to help get the acoustic centers closer.

I would also like to know what is the size of the terminal cup that is included with the kit? I want to assume it is the small one but not wanting to assume.

The smaller one.

last but not least I think I read that the sides need to be different dimension than what is included on the link for the schematics. If so what is the correct height for the sides?

Plans provided in the link are correct.

onyxbfly

« Reply #115 on: 12 Mar 2012, 04:34 pm »
Thanks once again. You are the best!!!

onyxbfly

« Reply #116 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:25 pm »
Morning Danny,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could reach out to Ruben for me. I posted in a couple of the threads and sent him a PM...... I am interested in purchasing two flat packs for the x-ls encore.

TIA,

nature boy

« Reply #117 on: 24 Mar 2012, 08:28 pm »
Danny,

I am interested in purchasing a pair of the X-LS Encore kits @ $149 a pair.  Can you PM a total with shipping to 19707 and your PayPal address.  Many thanks.

NB

aharami

« Reply #118 on: 2 Apr 2012, 02:31 pm »
what's the difference between x-cs encore and x-ls encore?  moreover, how would the sound of these speakers compare to the N3?  I built a pair of N3 for myself and my father in law always gushes about how nice they sound.  I want to build him a pair of speakers, but a pair of N3 and a center channel N3S would be more than what I'm willing to spend on a gift (esp since the prices of N3 have gone up). 

My FiL only has room for bookshelf speakers so I was looking at the X-CS/X-LS Encores.  Never heard these, so wondering how they compare to the N3

pureiso

« Reply #119 on: 2 Apr 2012, 03:22 pm »
what's the difference between x-cs encore and x-ls encore?  moreover, how would the sound of these speakers compare to the N3?  I built a pair of N3 for myself and my father in law always gushes about how nice they sound.  I want to build him a pair of speakers, but a pair of N3 and a center channel N3S would be more than what I'm willing to spend on a gift (esp since the prices of N3 have gone up). 

My FiL only has room for bookshelf speakers so I was looking at the X-CS/X-LS Encores.  Never heard these, so wondering how they compare to the N3

First, the X-CS Encore is the center channel MTM design.  Basically the same as the N3S.  X-LS Encore is about the same as the N1 kit, maybe the N1x?

I currently have the X-Omnis and the N2X in my house right now, so I can give you my impressions.

The only real difference is the tweeter and it is not a huge one.  The Peerless tweeter has a bit softer sound but is almost as good as the BG tweeter.  For the price, I would definitely do these as a gift.  He should have drawings for either a tower or bookshelf design for these.