BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready

generichs

Re: BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
« Reply #280 on: 4 Sep 2016, 01:48 am »
I think that you problem is NAS. Roon core is quite heavyweight and requires really powerful NAS - QNAP TVS-471. Read explanation here http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

My NAS is only 32 bit processor.  This means I will have to get a more powerful NAS to operate Roon without skips.  This makes Roon too expensive.  More powerful NAS are quite expensive. I'd be better off improving my sound by buying a better digital cable.  I  already have one on order at the moment.  I'll wait and see what improvements that brings. 

Krutsch

« Reply #281 on: 4 Sep 2016, 04:40 am »
My NAS is only 32 bit processor.  This means I will have to get a more powerful NAS to operate Roon without skips.  This makes Roon too expensive.  More powerful NAS are quite expensive. I'd be better off improving my sound by buying a better digital cable.  I  already have one on order at the moment.  I'll wait and see what improvements that brings.

Consider buying a Mac Mini, instead of an expensive NAS, if you are committed to Roon. Look at eBay - great deals - and you can put your music on a cheap USB drive on the Mac Mini.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #282 on: 4 Sep 2016, 05:17 am »
Or an Intel NUC for Windows. It can double as a file server, Plex server, etc

vklyushnikov

« Reply #283 on: 4 Sep 2016, 09:51 am »
Havn't had an issue with either models and we do have a quad core arm version of the product and all three models have been tested and certified by Roon with the only limitation that the bdp-1 be limited to dsd64.
Chris, could you please reveal what is quad core arm version? Do you really plan upgrade of BDP-2?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #284 on: 4 Sep 2016, 03:58 pm »
We have announced, sell/sold three products

BDP-1, the slowest
BDP-Pi, uses a quad core arm and is the cheapest
BDP-2, the fastest and highest performing

generichs

« Reply #285 on: 8 Sep 2016, 06:31 am »
Consider buying a Mac Mini, instead of an expensive NAS, if you are committed to Roon. Look at eBay - great deals - and you can put your music on a cheap USB drive on the Mac Mini.

MPD is too flat and digital when compared to Roon.  I can't go back to it.  The future of my music storage will be on NAS so I may as well invest in a NAS as recommended by Roon.  This will also hold me in good stead when using other software like JRiver, which also need powerful NAS.  Those who have tried less powerful NAS drives have failed.  There are no short cuts.  The only way you can get away with using a standard NAS is if you process the file via a computer and connect via a USB.  My ethernet sound is better than the USB and HDD sound.

As far as I can see, the only ones who have managed to get Roon to work via BDP is when files are located on a connected HDD or computer.  All those playing off a NAS have had trouble because standard NAS have weak processors.     

tomsenko

« Reply #286 on: 13 Sep 2016, 02:01 pm »
MPD is too flat and digital when compared to Roon.  I can't go back to it.  The future of my music storage will be on NAS so I may as well invest in a NAS as recommended by Roon.  This will also hold me in good stead when using other software like JRiver, which also need powerful NAS.  Those who have tried less powerful NAS drives have failed.  There are no short cuts.  The only way you can get away with using a standard NAS is if you process the file via a computer and connect via a USB.  My ethernet sound is better than the USB and HDD sound.

As far as I can see, the only ones who have managed to get Roon to work via BDP is when files are located on a connected HDD or computer.  All those playing off a NAS have had trouble because standard NAS have weak processors.   

I have quite opposite impressions. Roon via BDP1 sounds flat and digital compared to MPD (source is NAS WD Mybook).

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #287 on: 13 Sep 2016, 03:19 pm »
 :duel:

jtinto

« Reply #288 on: 13 Sep 2016, 10:46 pm »
touché

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #289 on: 13 Sep 2016, 11:09 pm »
More like

:eating popcorn:

(what happened to that emoticon?? Can't find it here)

generichs

« Reply #290 on: 14 Sep 2016, 04:57 am »
I have quite opposite impressions. Roon via BDP1 sounds flat and digital compared to MPD (source is NAS WD Mybook).

What ethernet cable are you using?  In any case there is no right or wrong answer.  It's whatever works in your system.  Generic ethernet cable makes the BDP1 sound muddy in mine.

In my system Roon raises the bar above all other digital set ups.  I'm not a Roon fan.  I tried it with a cynically view.  I think it is too expensive.  Roon has the capacity to put bloom into digital sound, and there are not too many digital systems I have heard which have bloom.  That the BDP1 can do that with Roon tells me it is good hardware coupled with good software.  Half the quality of digital sound is in software. 

generichs

« Reply #291 on: 19 Sep 2016, 08:03 am »
The latest upgrade greatly improves the sound of the BDP-1 with or without Roon.  I took the opportunity to listen to the MPD while the new NAS is being ordered and the sound via MPD is definitely a lot better than what it used to be.  In fact the sound of the BDP-1 seems to get better with each upgrade.  Compared to the early sound the latest upgrade makes the sound much more fluid and clean, with real bloom.  But you must use a decent digital interconnect to link it to the DAC.  A lesser digital cable will result in disappointing sound.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #292 on: 19 Sep 2016, 11:54 am »
sigh    :rules: :sleep:

gtaphile

« Reply #293 on: 12 Oct 2016, 03:43 pm »
Hi All,

I have just converted my Mpad set-up to Roon. Overall the sound quality with my set-up has gone backwards for my tastes. Imaging, layering and the ability to draw you into the music the way Mpad does is simply not there.

I have my SSD connected to my PC via USB3.0, Room 64 bit Core installed on my pc, control loaded on my Ipad. Network is wired.  PC is 6th generation i5 processor, 12 G of RAMso very current. 

There was only one short drop out over 10 or 12 songs that I played a half hour into the and I'll associate that with initial indexing.         

Has anyone confirmed that the SQ of a track improves after the system has had a chance to complete a pass of the audio analysis?

Are there any other hardware or software changes that one can make to improve Roon SQ that may be relevant to my set-up?

Gary

I just realized that I didn't add any of the relevant components to the posting - BDP-2 and BDA-2 AES/EBU connection between devices.

« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2016, 05:05 pm by gtaphile »

zoom25

« Reply #294 on: 12 Oct 2016, 03:57 pm »
I didn't end up using Roon after all. MPD sounded better.

At first I thought it was my network that made the Roon sound very precise in imaging but somehow very 2D. Howver, it retained the same sound when I sent the audio via USB to my DAC, bypassing the network from the equation. Literally no other transport source or software program flattened the image to the extent that Roon did.

Perhaps, I'll take another crack at Roon next year or the year after and see if anything changes.

Hey, Bryston. You got any more of those free trials. :D

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #295 on: 12 Oct 2016, 04:51 pm »
I didn't end up using Roon after all. MPD sounded better.

At first I thought it was my network that made the Roon sound very precise in imaging but somehow very 2D. Howver, it retained the same sound when I sent the audio via USB to my DAC, bypassing the network from the equation. Literally no other transport source or software program flattened the image to the extent that Roon did.

Perhaps, I'll take another crack at Roon next year or the year after and see if anything changes.

Hey, Bryston. You got any more of those free trials. :D

What's on the other end of that USB cable? BDP-2? Or a laptop? Or?

I'm still amazed at the difference in sound. What really kills me is that I don't have a single recording that I got to hear live, so I really don't know for sure how they are supposed to sound. I only know what I PREFER (which is just opinion, not fact). I'd love to figure out what component is causing the difference. One (or both) of them do not sound like the original and/or how the artist/mixer intended.

zoom25

« Reply #296 on: 12 Oct 2016, 05:45 pm »
What's on the other end of that USB cable? BDP-2? Or a laptop? Or?

I'm still amazed at the difference in sound. What really kills me is that I don't have a single recording that I got to hear live, so I really don't know for sure how they are supposed to sound. I only know what I PREFER (which is just opinion, not fact). I'd love to figure out what component is causing the difference. One (or both) of them do not sound like the original and/or how the artist/mixer intended.

The Macbook Pro sent USB directly to the DAC. The BDP-1 connected by network sent to DAC via AES. I even had my headphones plugged directly to the Macbook Pro's headphone output and running Roon. Regardless of the device used, or transfer method, Roon's sound engine sounded flatter. It made the HD 800's pancaked. If you can't get depth from the HD 800, then you know something is wrong.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #297 on: 12 Oct 2016, 07:32 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, the HD800's are quite nice. What amp are you using with then? I love my BHA-1. The only thing I would change or add to that amp would be the ability to control it from remote.

tie_breaker

« Reply #298 on: 12 Oct 2016, 08:14 pm »
Gary, my setup is similar to yours, I have the bdp-2 connected to a bda-3 via aes/ebu.  I switched to Roon from Mpd and am really enjoying the quality of the sound as well as the Roon interface. I have Roon core running on a Synology NAS and controller on my ipad.  Both the NAS and the bdp-2 are connected to a gigabit switch.  I initially had a 10/100 hub and there was a noticeable difference when I changed to a gigabit switch.  I do like the Roon sound as it is a bit more laid back in my opinion.  When I compared Roon to Mpd months ago I felt the Mpd had a slight edge in clarity but Mpd sounded a bit brighter and up front.  Both had great 3d imaging, and separation of instruments.  I prefer a more laid back and a softer sound which I get via Roon. The interface is great as well. 
Thx

gtaphile

« Reply #299 on: 12 Oct 2016, 08:47 pm »
Gary, my setup is similar to yours, I have the bdp-2 connected to a bda-3 via aes/ebu.  I switched to Roon from Mpd and am really enjoying the quality of the sound as well as the Roon interface. I have Roon core running on a Synology NAS and controller on my ipad.  Both the NAS and the bdp-2 are connected to a gigabit switch.  I initially had a 10/100 hub and there was a noticeable difference when I changed to a gigabit switch.  I do like the Roon sound as it is a bit more laid back in my opinion.  When I compared Roon to Mpd months ago I felt the Mpd had a slight edge in clarity but Mpd sounded a bit brighter and up front.  Both had great 3d imaging, and separation of instruments.  I prefer a more laid back and a softer sound which I get via Roon. The interface is great as well. 
Thx

Thanks tie_breaker

I also have a gigibit switch. I don't see any comparisons between a core running on a NAS or game class PC.

Could this be an issue?

Thanks 
//