What LPs have you listened to recently?

jimdgoulding

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #6960 on: 1 Mar 2014, 01:53 am »
Pete Townsend/Ronnie Lane- Rough Mix (ATCO);
Neil Young and Crazy Horse- Evevybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Reprise).

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #6961 on: 2 Mar 2014, 01:04 am »
Coheed And Cambria ‎– The Afterman: Ascension
Label: Everything Evil Records ‎– HHI001V
Format: Vinyl
Released: 09 Oct 2012

Includes full ceedee.

orvisk

« Reply #6962 on: 4 Mar 2014, 02:47 am »
linda perhacs; Parallelograms

van dyke parks; song cycle

PierreB

« Reply #6963 on: 4 Mar 2014, 10:34 pm »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6964 on: 9 Mar 2014, 03:12 pm »

1960 Candid  Italian pressing by Base Records

1960 was a tough year at the Newport Jazz fest.  There were rowdy riots in the streets and Mingus and Roach set up an alternative concert venue to protest the pay inequalities.  The innovators (mostly black) were paid considerably less than the big band musicians (mostly white).

This is from 2 studio sessions in 11/60. Personnel on various cuts include a vocal by Abby Lincoln and appearances by Jimmy Knepper, Tommy Flanagan, Booker Little, Julian Priester, Walter Benton, John Morrison, Benny Bailey, and Kenny Dorham (piano).
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6965 on: 10 Mar 2014, 12:20 am »

1957 Prestige  mono   OJC reissue

Red Garland, Paul Chambers, and Art Taylor

Beautiful album.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6966 on: 17 Mar 2014, 02:11 pm »

1963 Impulse
Steve Davis and Lex Humphries 
This is McCoy's second album as a leader.  Nice session.
neo

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #6967 on: 22 Mar 2014, 06:43 pm »
k.d. lang ‎– Shadowland
Label: Sire ‎– 9 25724-1
Format: Vinyl,
Released: 1988

Not a huge fan of country but love this woman's voice.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6968 on: 22 Mar 2014, 11:35 pm »

Dylan - Time Out of Mind

e.man

« Reply #6969 on: 23 Mar 2014, 01:34 am »
Cream Best of.

Vegatables (Crop) cover.

A very good overall tasty selection.

toocool4

« Reply #6970 on: 23 Mar 2014, 09:38 am »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6971 on: 29 Mar 2014, 02:13 pm »

1964 Blue Note 
This was recorded before Sidewinder (a smash hit), but released a couple of years later.  Search for the New Land is one of Lee's most introspective albums.  Maybe it was Wayne Shorter influence.  There are a couple of long, modern, slower tempo tunes interspersed with the hard bop.  Great album with great players.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6972 on: 8 Apr 2014, 02:56 am »

1971 Blue Note

This is Lee's final album.  It's a double, with side 4 on the flip of side 1 to hear it in sequence on your record changer.  Most of Lee's earlier albums were straight bop quintets.  This one has:
Grachan Moncur III - trombone
Bobbi Humphrey - flute
Billy Harper - tenor saxophone, alto flute
Harold Mabern - piano, electric piano
Reggie Workman - bass, percussion
Jymie Merritt - electric upright bass
Freddie Waits - drums, recorder

This is Lee's most modern album with a more orchestrated approach and a fatalistic minor key feel.  Maybe I'm reading some of that into it, knowing this is the last.  You can't go wrong with a Lee Morgan LP, he was a great player.  This one is no exception.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6973 on: 9 Apr 2014, 01:05 pm »

1965 Blue Note

Jackie McLean - alto
Hank Mobley - tenor
Herbie Hancock - piano
Larry Ridley - bass
Billy Higgins - drums

For years this super classic album was out of print and virtually impossible to find.  The first cut on side 2 is "Ceora", a classic tune written by Lee, which is now a standard.  In the late '80s this was reissued along with most of the Blue Note catalogue.  Many reissues were DMM pressings (direct metal master) and the SQ is generally quite good. 

Back in the day, when I had to choose a handful of albums out of the hundreds I wanted to buy, I would base my selections on the personnel and the tunes, to get a feel for desirability.  Look at the line-up here.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6974 on: 9 Apr 2014, 03:50 pm »

1975 Timeless/Muse

George Coleman
Sam Jones
Billy Higgins

I was looking through my gallery and couldn't find Eastern Rebellion.  This happens to be one of the greatest jazz albums ever recorded, no kidding.
This is the Timeless cover. The US Muse edition had a different cover.  I'll have to take a photo, I can't find it anywhere on the net.  Here's a good chunk of the album.  The SQ isn't up to analog standards, but maybe you have better PC SQ than I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ubU5TclcEg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7gAEeWtRI0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdTYMDIyQq8

neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6975 on: 13 Apr 2014, 12:47 am »

Muse cover

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6976 on: 13 Apr 2014, 02:40 am »
Neo.  Got Eastern Rebellion.  Cheers.  I'm tryin to remember how I came by it.  May have been you or some cats over on Audio Asylum cause I don't imagine I've had it but about five years or so.  Hi Fi Tommy is a So Cal old dog over on AA and he knows recordings made at jazz haunts from the day in and around L.A.  For some reason I do too.  We shoot the breeze sometimes about L.A. based groups from the 60's like Shelly Manne and His Men and Gerald Wilson.  That's where Houston high school kids The Jazz Crusaders made their best work, imo, in clubs, not studios.  I have a Chico Hamilton CD in my car as we speak.  A music club friend of mine down here adores Pepper and he's played things for me that have enhanced my esteem for him as an artist.  Anyway, I'm glad you are a participating AC member.  I wish like mad that some of the guys who contributed when I first arrived here would join us.  I don't have a doubt that you would appreciate them, too.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6977 on: 13 Apr 2014, 11:05 am »
Jim,
On Amazon I noticed that Eastern Rebellion is now a rare commodity in any format.  Maybe the reissue gods will take notice.  I've had the records, both Timeless and Muse editions, for years.  No matter how much I play them, it doesn't get old.  Sometimes a Timeless copy of the same LP was better quality than the Muse edition.  In this case my Muse copy is good, slightly warmer than the Timeless.

My familiarity with west coast jazz isn't up to east coast knowledge/library.  It tends to be limited to guys like Jerry Mulligan, Lee Konitz, and a few others.  Why don't you post more of your favorites?
I used to take photos of everything, but it's time consuming.  Now I just find a good picture and grab it, but these are albums I've just played, like this one:

1958 Prestige

Red Garland
Paul Chambers
Art Taylor

Late '50s was a productive time for Trane, and he emerged as a giant, eventually to become the worlds most revered and emulated sax player.  This album wasn't released until 1961.  Prestige already had a few albums out by this same group, and "Kind of Blue" was released on Columbia in '59.  This LP is extra cuts left over from previous sessions, residing in Rudy Van Gelder's vaults.  It doesn't sound like leftovers - it's excellent.  Trane already moved on to Atlantic Records.  His very first album was in '57 and Trane died in '67.  He left an amazing legacy in only 10 years. 
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6978 on: 13 Apr 2014, 01:26 pm »
Thanks for your reply, Neo.  Saw Trane several times at The Jazz Workshop in San Francisco around the time (the 60's) he was recording on the Impulse label.  I am a huge fan.  Sitting in my car in Dallas I was, listening to jazz on the radio when his death was announced.  Last live date I attended was at Smalls in NYC.  Looked for jazz clubs in San Francisco as recently as November on a birthday trip from me to me.  It isn't like it used to be out there.  Disappointing is what it was like.

In what part of the country do you live?  For some reason I am thinking New Jersey.  Recently I have been circulating albums amongst members and friends in The Houston Audio Society by NJ bassist Harvie Swartz.  I am sorta in demand around here cause of my record collection.  Guys record my albums to their computers and always copy me a disc for their appreciation and prosperity. 

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #6979 on: 13 Apr 2014, 11:47 pm »

Doc