Power vs Battery

jb26

Power vs Battery
« on: 17 Jun 2013, 05:54 am »
Hi All,

I would like to hear from anyone who has had the JT Dynamic Power Supply and the Dodd battery kit, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks

JB

Rclark

Re: Power vs Battery
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2013, 07:55 am »
I haven't tried the JT switching supply but it's known to be a bit noisy. I've had my Virtue amp on switching supply, big linear supply, and batteries.

Batteries are definitely where this amp shines the brightest. It was indeed the Dodd harness.

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2013, 07:05 pm »
Do not under estimate the JT PSU,it is superb.

Batteries; super clean sound, great tonal colouring, very black backgrounds,  dead quiet and very focused sound.

JT Dynamic PSU; Very full rounded sound, big soundstage very powerful and "bloomier" compared to batteries, loads of power and to my ears in my system a very organic, flowing sound.

Is a matter of taste and what sort of sound you are looking for, both PSU's are superb, they really are. :thumb:

classicjt2

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2013, 07:53 pm »
I like both batteries and the JT Dynamic power supply; my preference is also for the big JT supply, and for exactly the reasons Tarzan noted. Big, wide and tall images within a spacious soundstage, and a gutsier, bloomier, more emotional sound to my ears. Batteries are more quiet, pure, and liquid, better low level resolution (I think), balanced by a center-of-the-earth bass punch. Nice to be able to choose, huh?

James

Jalopoo

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2013, 06:47 pm »
Currently I'm using SLA batteries which I'm very happy with :thumb: . For those of you using the JT supply, does it make any difference depending on what power cord you are using?
Have anyone compared RWA's black lightning to JT dynamic power supply and the dodd kit with SLA batteries? Will the LiFePO4 batteries make it worthwhile a upgrade? Been trying to search the forums for info about the RWA black lightning but haven't found much. 

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2013, 06:43 am »
Currently I'm using SLA batteries which I'm very happy with :thumb: . For those of you using the JT supply, does it make any difference depending on what power cord you are using?
Have anyone compared RWA's black lightning to JT dynamic power supply and the dodd kit with SLA batteries? Will the LiFePO4 batteries make it worthwhile a upgrade? Been trying to search the forums for info about the RWA black lightning but haven't found much.

Do Not know if aftermarket power cords make a difference to the JT( mine is already terminated with a UK mains plug) , however l do notice a positive difference using an aftermarket power cord on my 30v/130W PSU.Good question( this was going to be my next question regarding The Black Lightening. :thumb:

classicjt2

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2013, 08:01 pm »
I have both the Red Wine Audio Black Lightning battery supply and the JT Dynamic. They're both great, as I described above. Having said that, I would have to mention I had my home wired with two dedicated 20 amp circuit breakers, both wired with 10 gauge Romex (my electrician thought I was nuts), and special cryo'd Hubbell outlets (I can't remember the part number, but it's the unplated one with the highest clamping force). I also had Jason hard wire a Kimber 10 gauge power cord into the JT Dynamic, added some big Relcaps for smoother filtering, and I removed the fuseblock. I use no active AC filtering or power conditioners, except for a Bybee purifier that's not connected to the dedicated lines. So I guess my AC set-up is not quite standard.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably do an IEC connector for the power cord (that's standard on the JT), so I could experiment with different power cords, and would have done better research on bypass caps (I think Mundorf might be even better).

James

cheap-Jack

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2013, 03:00 am »
Hi.

Have anyone compared RWA's black lightning to JT dynamic power supply and the dodd kit with SLA batteries? Will the LiFePO4 batteries make it worthwhile a upgrade? 

Talking about using rechargeable batteries alone, not related to using them in any commercial audio products:-

First off, I never used LiFeP04 battery (3.2V) which technically a 'super-star' batttery which maintains its operting voltage (3.2V) constant until it is totally discharged, a very desirable feature for any rechargeble batteries & would not be easily destroyed by internal generated heat due to shorting or misuse.

Yet, in all my tube phonostages (upgraded or DIYed), & my other DIYed audio gear, e.g. sub-woofer 2.1 stereo interface unit, etc, I have chosen NMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries instead of the historic NiCd batteries, being so much lighter, SMALLER in size yet 2-6 times battery volumetric energy density than NiCd batteries - work much longer before charging.

I used 6V5A SAL batteries for many years to heat up the tubes of my phonstage-preamps, until last year, the 6V5A SAL battery died after a couple year service life. Then I decided to rebuild my heater power supply with NMH batteries seried up to the required 6.3V heater voltage, taking the advantage of the much compact size of the NMH batteries & low costs.

To my very surprise with only replacing the 6V SAL battery with a few seried 1.2V2A NMH small batteries, the sound of both my tube phoostages sound so much better, more dynamic & more powerful than the old PS using SAL battery. Also as expected, the service time per charge is mucy longer than SAL battery. Now I stick with the small AA size NMH batteries for ALL my audio gear with LV battery PS.

Well, listening is believing.

c-J

Thomhel2

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2013, 08:00 am »
I used a sensation 2.2 with the Dodd battery power supply into audio note type e speakers, incredible for the money, batteries are the way to go, hearing the silent passages on batteries will show you why, I now use an audionote soro se amp. This retails at 4 k and it cost this much to make a meaningful upgrade, this amp breaks the rules regarding the hierarchy of a system eg source first, if I had 10k to spend on a system, it would be well tempered simplex, battery virtue audio and a set of audionote type e speakers, controversial I know, but having owned it, it is ridiculously good..
Paul