Tube type 76?

ProCast99

Tube type 76?
« on: 5 Dec 2011, 02:53 am »
Hi all:

Today, I learned a few bits of information that make me curious to learn more... I was told that the triode tube 76 has the best linear response of all

...I was also told that it is quite easy to sub into a circuit for 6SN7s (although you lose gain, as 6SN7 is a double triode), and now I've learned that there is a type (6P5) with an octal base (so I'm guessing would be even easier to sub in...)

... the i-net seems to highly regard the 76, from what I've heard, and they seem pretty cheap on eBay -- any thoughts out there about this? has anyone used the 76 or 6P5 - is it really as good as they say?

6L6PPP

Re: Tube type 76?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2011, 03:52 am »
Hi all:

Today, I learned a few bits of information that make me curious to learn more... I was told that the triode tube 76 has the best linear response of all

...I was also told that it is quite easy to sub into a circuit for 6SN7s (although you lose gain, as 6SN7 is a double triode), and now I've learned that there is a type (6P5) with an octal base (so I'm guessing would be even easier to sub in...)

... the i-net seems to highly regard the 76, from what I've heard, and they seem pretty cheap on eBay -- any thoughts out there about this? has anyone used the 76 or 6P5 - is it really as good as they say?

The 76 tube is good sounding. But the 76/ 6p5 tube is a single triode vs the 6sn7 being a dual triode .... so you cant just sub the 76 tube into a 6sn7 circuit because  would need two 76's to replace a single 6sn7. Trying to find matched pairs of 76's IS NOT easy anymore.

You dont lose gain with a 6P5 because the 6SN7 is a dual trode??? Gain is a fixed parameter of the tube. Those two tubes just have different gain structures. All 6sn7's have a mu of around 20 and all 76/6p5 have a mu of around 14.

The 6j5 is the closest single triode sub for the 6sn7. The 6j5 is electrically the same as half of a 6sn7.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0074.htm

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aai0051.htm