The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

Mariusz

Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #600 on: 13 Oct 2010, 12:10 am »
You can look at bhobba's posts, he has compared them both and made quite a few comparisons between them (heh, Ted beat me to it). He preferred the Tranquility over the W4S DAC-2 because it was absent of any sibilance and was more liquid and smooth sounding. One of the most common things I hear about the Tranquility is how smooth and liquid it is, with no traces of digital glare.

I have a Signature Edition Tranquility on its way over here, and I currently own the Wyred4Sound DAC-2 - so look forward to a head-to-head comparison fairly soon. I know the Tranquility SE is more expensive than the DAC-2, but it should be interesting noting the differences anyway.

Regarding the W4S DAC-2 USB... I was using a Black Cat cable from the Logitech Squeezebox Touch to the W4S DAC-2 before and it was sounding good. I then bought a Mac Mini and used the W4S DAC-2's USB connection. It wasn't even close to being as good as the Black Cat cable to the Squeezebox Touch. I was using a generic USB cable from Monoprice. So I thought I'd try the Essential USB cable from dB Audio Labs - and that really pushed it up in performance. So well, in fact, that it was quite a bit better than the Black Cat / Squeezebox Touch combo. I no longer use a Squeezebox. After all the reviews and the impressions from the USB cable, I contacted Eric and ordered a Signature Edition Tranquility because I have to try this thing out.

From my experience, the best sound I got from the W4S DAC-2 was using a high quality USB cable with a Mac Mini as a source. And since I am only going to use USB, it makes sense to try a product where they focus on a very high quality implementation of USB and get the most performance possible. Another thing I learned about the W4S DAC-2 was that it benefits quite greatly from isolation and damping. I just tried putting a 2.5lb weight on top of the chassis and it brought more focus and meat to the mid-range, and cleaned up the high freq. a bit. Something from Herbie's Audio Lab should kick it up a few notches. I heard this was not essentially the case for the Tranquility as it has been built to already have good isolation and damping, but it depends on each person's setup most likely.

Hope this helps and sorry to derail into W4S comments in a Tranquility thread.
Actually, it was very helpful.
Especially, because I own Squeezbox Touch (although it's used in 2nd rig) and am planing to invest in new Mac Mini. The cable used at the moment is RSA Poiema R-v3 USB (it is better then stock cables for sure). There is also re-clocker from Empirical Audio which was used with my other DAC....... not sure if it is going to be needed anymore?

As to Tranquility DAC liquidity - surely my cup of tea but I need a bit more then just USB.
Wonder if they are planing to release more feature proof version?

Thanks and sorry for highjacking your thread.
Hopefully I didn't step on to many toes?

Cheers
Mariusz

Mariusz

« Reply #601 on: 13 Oct 2010, 12:13 am »
If you wish to read more comments about the various gear and DACs you can see them here:  http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=2497.30
:thumb: thanks

bhobba

« Reply #602 on: 13 Oct 2010, 12:20 am »
Sorry for a bit of topic question..... :oops:But did anyone had a chance to compare db Tranquility to Wyred 2 DAC  :scratch:
I know that db is dedicated USB DAC and should perform better but wonder how good is Wyred USB reproduction. It certainly is more feature loaded but I am more interested in its USB conversion.

I have done that on a number of occasions; both by myself and with others, some of which were very experienced listeners.  To my ears, and everyone else's, the Tranquility was preferred.  Here is what one person said about the WFS and sums up my and others views:
'An amazing amount of detail, excellent tonal consistency and powerful bass. But it sounded like you were playing a CD and there were electronic artifacts in the form of a mid treble glare that intruded. Grey background. Micro dynamically restricted. However its combination of consistent tonality and detail was impressive in a hifi sense and I can actually believe that some listeners might place this as their favorite.'

The Tranquility OTOH sounds very fluid, liquid and analog like.  Despite the WFS's reputation for producing the best detail of any DAC, I found the Tranquility to be just as good.  The only negative I can find against it is on some occasions we have found it slightly 'cold'.  We particularly noticed it on a reference system when compared to a DAC called the PDX.  I have been trying to see if I can hear it on my system and now think I can, but for some reason it seems quite a bit reduced.  I think this 'cold' thing is related to 'grunge' and may have something to do with the switching supply of the Mac causing problems.  I am listening to the Bee Gees right now and have done a bit of experimentation.  Eric mentions you need to reverse the the power cord into the mini and see which is the least grungy.  I have noticed that as well but the more gungy one also seems to be the one that is colder.  Just a hypothsis at this stage.

The other thing about the Trainquility is it is very sensitive to what you feed.  Dont feed it optimally and it sounds ho hum.  Feed it optimally then WOW. 

Also Eric has voiced it to be as close as possible to the original master tape.  Since most material is not mastered optimally this means you can see that really easily.  But feed it well mastered material such as some direct from the master recordings I have access to then again WOW.  To me this is actually its biggest issue,  We have often compared it to a DAC some friends are working on called the PDX.  This DAC is voiced to sound real to one of the designers ears based on regular live sessions he attends.  This has led to the PDX sounding better on most recordings but when fed with top notch material the Tranquility slightly pips the PDX.  However the PDX is a prototype and recently has had changes to it that now has lifted its level and it sounds better pretty much on all material now.  It must be noted with these changes it is now much more expensive than the base Tranquility.  A much fairer comparison will be with Signature Tranquility which will happen in due course.

Overall my opinion of the base Tranquility is it blasts any competition at or below its price point.  Actually except for the Tranquility so does the WFS.  It actually is better than quite a few much more expensive DAC's but some exist that out do it.  The WFS struggles against the Tranquility and much more expensive DAC's to my ears. The signature will be a better and more natural competitor to those more expensive DAC's such as the PDX

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2010, 03:06 am by bhobba »

Mariusz

« Reply #603 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:09 am »
Thank You Bill.
Reason I ask is simple - I've one coming my way and wonder how does it stuck up against the competition? Obviously I haven't heard WFS in person and bought it out of curiosity and spects alone.  It should arrive at my door steps right after RMAF. Like I said, the only reason I passed on Tranquility DAC was lock of COAX input and setup that....... could chalange my novice computer skills.

bhobba

« Reply #604 on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:15 pm »
One of the most common things I hear about the Tranquility is how smooth and liquid it is, with no traces of digital glare.

One thing I will mention about the Tranquility and digital glare, and it is associated with the philosophy of getting as close as possible to the master tape, if the CD has glare in it as some do you get it all brother - right in your ear drums.  I have noticed this on a number of recordings as my listening to this DAC in my system continues.  The difference to the WFS is when you feed the Tranquility stuff such as a direct to the master recording of say Peggy Lee Fever you are shocked at how much like vinyl it is - so beautiful, liquid and smooth.  The WFS sounds flat and uninvolveing in comparison.  I would also say the WFS is cold (as Mike Lenehan said 'The top end was clean ! ohh so clean, like listening to music in the fridge !'), and while the Tranquility is not as cold as the WFS, I now believe I can detect some coldness when compared to the PDX.  My suspicion at this stage is it may be a power supply grunge issue or associated with the fact we are not using the recommended firewire drive.  Will keep you guys updated.

The other thing I need to make clear and I should have really said this right from the start, is this is cold compared to a DAC, the PDX, that sounds hot.  As I mentioned several times previously the PDX has been voiced to sound real to one of designers ears compared to what he hears at live events he attends regularly.  A hot sounding quality may sound more real but is almost certainly a departure from neutrality - in fact I have been told by people who know more about valves than I do this is a characteristic of more euphonic valve gear.  Neutral sounding gear sounds cold in comparison.  The cold character of the Tranquility, and I again must emphasize this is in comparison to a hot DAC and not a refection of being cold in absolute terms, is in fact a reflection of the Tranquilities neutrality.  The concern I have is because the Tranquility is so neutral, and to be blunt truthful, may be revealing some type of grunge.  This is what I want to check out.  Rest assured when you feed the Tranquility with well recorded material it sounds anything other than cold.  It sounds simply entrancing and it is the hot sounding much more expensive DAC that looses out.

I am so impressed with the Tranquility I am now ordering a second one.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2010, 09:35 pm by bhobba »

trianglezerius

« Reply #605 on: 14 Oct 2010, 12:03 am »
I was wondering if you guys ever daisy chained external hard drives for playback or transferring files? And did you notice a sonic difference (good or bad)? What were they?

Thanks,
Tom
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2010, 01:15 am by trianglezerius »

bhobba

« Reply #606 on: 14 Oct 2010, 01:02 am »
I was wonder if you guys ever daisy chained external hard drives for playback or transferring files? And did you notice a sonic difference (good or bad)? What were they?

Never tried that.

Thanks
Bill

trianglezerius

« Reply #607 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:37 pm »
I was wondering if you guys ever daisy chained external hard drives for playback or transferring files? And did you notice a sonic difference (good or bad)? What were they?

Thanks,
Tom

Anyone?

bhobba

« Reply #608 on: 15 Oct 2010, 09:19 am »
I was just down at Mike's (that is Mike Lehehan the maker of the ML1's) checking out the first production run of his new PDX DAC with USB input. Man this is one fine sounding DAC. It was not even fully tricked out with the top stuff like Duelund capacitors and already it is above the prototype, which is in the same league as the reference DAC Mike was using - and that clobbers a DCS Stack. This is serious stuff 100% for sure. We also checked it out against the base model Tranquility DAC. Now the PDX fully tricked out is nearly 3 times the price of the Tranquility but it was absolutely competitive. Very transparent and analog like. Very beguiling. The PDX just pipped it in bass control and coherency but it was far from shamed. A 'coldness' issue we previously had was completely removed by powering the Mac Mini from a non conditioned power supply as recommended by Eric. For the money the Tranquility is exceptional value. Mike was very impressed. The Tranquility Signature will be a tough challenge for the PDX, but the PDX we will check it out on will be totally tricked out with Duelunds and the other top stuff. This promises to be one hell of a comparison.

I want to emphasize there was no trace of the coldness issue - gone - totally disappeared.  In fact I thought I could detect a very slight trace of it in my system.  The experience on Mikes reference system suggests slightly better results can be obtained if you plug the Tranquility into conditioning and the Mac into no conditioning.  But it really is very slight.  Eric is correct when he claims the Tranquility is quite insensitive to power conditioning, up market chords etc.  Another great feature of this fine DAC.

Oh and the other thing is this was not on specially recorded direct from master tapes that we know makes the Tranquility sound particularly good.  This was bog standard stuff.  I suspect if that was used then it would be even closer or maybe even beat the PDX.  At one third the price this is an excellent achievement and really makes my mouth water for the Signature.

Mike is so impressed he will be keeping a signature to use as a reference.  I am really chuffed I am getting a second one.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2010, 10:51 am by bhobba »

mamba315

« Reply #609 on: 16 Oct 2010, 01:18 am »
Which year Mac Mini are you using Bill?  Is it tweaked?

My Signature should be here anyday.  Can't wait to how it compares to the  PDX.

bhobba

« Reply #610 on: 16 Oct 2010, 03:49 am »
Which year Mac Mini are you using Bill?  Is it tweaked? My Signature should be here anyday.  Can't wait to how it compares to the  PDX.

2010 model running Pure Music with the special USB cable.  The suggested tweaks have not been done yet and we were not using the recommended Oyen firewire drive even though it had arrived.  Things were a bit rushed as Mike was doing some other stuff and the PDX was only there for a short time since the guy that purchased it understandably wanted it ASAP.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #611 on: 18 Oct 2010, 08:35 am »
Hi All

The Tranquility Signature just arrived and right out of the box we noticed better bass, more cohesion and better inner detail and resolution.  Interestingly Mike Lenehan thought Itunes was better than Pure Music and is something we will need to investigate further.  Mike will be listening to it further tonight and I will be going down there tomorrow and will be able report further the next day.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #612 on: 20 Oct 2010, 12:04 am »
Hi All

As mentoined in the previous post we got the Signature and gave a few initial impressions.  I mentioned we were going to have a much longer listen the next day.  Ok me and 4 other very experienced listeners did just that last night.  OK Eric says we should not seriously listen to the Signature without some serious break in time.  But we had this thing and were itching to give it a listen.  Unfortunately guys I am going to have to wimp out here because everyone, without being told, said exactly what Eric said - this thing needs serious break in time and at the end of our time when I wanted to get a consensus of what we thought everyone said we must say this thing needs serious break in time just as Eric said.  However this initial checkout actually extended to the wee hours and about 1.00am when the other guys had left and I was chatting with Mike Lenehan before going home we thought it was a bit too much of a wimp out to say absolutely nothing so what Mike and me decided we should say, purely as our opinion, and nothing to do with the other guys is this DAC is up there with the best both of us have ever heard. Exactly where it fits in that rarefied pantheon is yet to be determined, but it is up there.  Mike will definitely be keeping it on as a reference DAC for using in his speaker designing and for demonstrating to his customers.  I am getting a second one for use in my main rig for exactly the same reason.  Sorry guys but much more detailed information will follow later.

Thanks
Bill

jrebman

« Reply #613 on: 20 Oct 2010, 12:50 am »
Bill,

That was exactly my impression after listening to the Signature with the modified 2010 mini at RMAF.  Though the system was somewhat different from mine, it was easy to hear what the dac was bringing to the table, and it was wonderful.  More of everything the original Tranquility offers without giving up anything in terms of tone and that analog-like smoothness.

I have one of those modified Mac minis here and am still figuring out how to make it all work with the built-in screenreader, but what I have heard suggests that I'm in for the best listening I've ever experienced.

I think it would not be unheard of to follow the Tranquility Signature by some of the very best gear and speakers and to think it was right at home with the rest of the system -- no the weak link.

Some of the cuts I heard at the show would knock the socks off the most jaded audiophile -- especially if you added up the cost of the entire system.

Great stuff!

-- Jim

bhobba

« Reply #614 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:45 am »
That was exactly my impression after listening to the Signature with the modified 2010 mini at RMAF.  Though the system was somewhat different from mine, it was easy to hear what the dac was bringing to the table, and it was wonderful.  More of everything the original Tranquility offers without giving up anything in terms of tone and that analog-like smoothness.  I have one of those modified Mac minis here and am still figuring out how to make it all work with the built-in screenreader, but what I have heard suggests that I'm in for the best listening I've ever experienced. I think it would not be unheard of to follow the Tranquility Signature by some of the very best gear and speakers and to think it was right at home with the rest of the system -- no the weak link. Some of the cuts I heard at the show would knock the socks off the most jaded audiophile -- especially if you added up the cost of the entire system.

Make no mistake this is serious stuff and we have not fully optimized it yet either so even better is to come.  But I want to emphasize something.  This DAC is very, very, neutral and transparent.  Most people have not heard stuff this neutral and transparent - especially at this price point.  It may polarize some not used to this level of accuracy.  Will almost certainly have more to say on this issue as the break-in proceeds.  Suffice to say when fed with very well recorded material it quite possibly may blow your mind - but I don't want to say anything specific until the break-in is complete.

Thanks
Bill 

mamba315

« Reply #615 on: 20 Oct 2010, 05:34 am »
But I want to emphasize something.  This DAC is very, very, neutral and transparent.  Most people have not heard stuff this neutral and transparent - especially at this price point.  It may polarize some not used to this level of accuracy.

On the other hand, once you get used to it, you'll never want to give it up.

What is the minimum amount of break-in that Eric suggests?  Man, these comments are killing me.  I keep hoping my Signature will be on my doorstep every time I come home.  Not yet.. Maybe tomorrow...

bhobba

« Reply #616 on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:53 am »
On the other hand, once you get used to it, you'll never want to give it up. What is the minimum amount of break-in that Eric suggests?  Man, these comments are killing me.  I keep hoping my Signature will be on my doorstep every time I come home.  Not yet.. Maybe tomorrow...

I think Eric recommends something like a couple of weeks use.  We have got ours on constant break-in at the moment.

Thanks
Bill

highfilter

« Reply #617 on: 20 Oct 2010, 07:18 am »
On the other hand, once you get used to it, you'll never want to give it up.

What is the minimum amount of break-in that Eric suggests?  Man, these comments are killing me.  I keep hoping my Signature will be on my doorstep every time I come home.  Not yet.. Maybe tomorrow...

Tell me about it, I've got the Signature USB cable burning-in right now, but await the Tranquility Signature. Damn you shipping...  :drool:

tasar

« Reply #618 on: 20 Oct 2010, 08:39 pm »
Its dead set simple - you simply enable memory playback - that's it.

Thanks
Bill

Bill would you elaborate on the above....not sure what you're referring to ?

thanks, Dave

Bigfish

« Reply #619 on: 20 Oct 2010, 09:17 pm »
"Trade-up program" : As good measure to our loyal Tranquility customers; who have supported us from the very beginning! We are offering them a "full purchase value" trade-up of your original Tranquility dac for just the difference in price between what you paid and the $1895 price. Example_ If you paid $1295 for your original dac, plus $600 gets you into the Signature dac. Hence the "full value" of your original purchase toward the Signature's current price. This applies ONLY to current Tranquility customers who have purchased their dac directly from dB Audio Labs. Trade-up dacs cannot have been modified or damaged. This trade-up program will be offered for a very limited time and is non-negotiable.

Guys:

I shipped my Tranquility DAC to dB Audio Labs today to take advantage of the above offer before Eric decides the very limited upgrade time has expired.  While I have been excited about the Tranquility SE since I first heard about it a few weeks ago I was actually reluctant to part with my Tranquility.  This little DAC has produced nothing but very enjoyable music for me.  I have given in to upgrade itis because, frankly, I trust Eric Hider when he comments to me that the SE has superior sonic quality compared to the base Tranquility.  Now the darn waiting game begins!

Ken